Sign in to follow this  
oldredrider

Electro 12 Ignition Issue

oldredrider

I recently picked up a 1968 Electro 12 with a broken rod. After replacing the rod and piston, I tried to bench test the engine.

This has the K301s-47147B engine with the magneto and points. There is no spark and only 3.7 volts AC output at cranking speed. Apparently this motor ran until the rod went south. It has set for maybe two years waiting for new guts.

The question: Where do I start to trouble shoot the "no spark" problem? The Kohler manual doesn't seem to cover this scenario; only over/under charging issues but all tests are done with the engine running.

The points are good as is the gap and I'm assuming the condensor is as well. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

TT

Check the wires from the magneto coil to the points & condenser and the kill lead for any bare spots where they might be grounding out first.

Check the condenser to make sure it isn't shorted out.

Make sure the spark plug wire is firmly seated in the coil and that the wire itself is in good condition.

If you don't find anything wrong there, plan on buying a new coil. :handgestures-thumbup: The current Kohler P/N is 47 145 02-S

oldredrider

Hey TT, Thanks for the tips. Checked everything you listed and it's all good. Another RS member (418A) came by today and gave a fresh perspective. While the points looked good, he said sometimes when a motor sets for a while, an oxidation film can build up on them. We pulled them out and cleaned/filed and re-installed and reset the gap. A little more "futsing" around with them and got fire. Now it has a snappy blue spark at the plug. Thanks again for your help.

fourwheels0

whew!!!!!! that's good to hear.

i was all ready to split the cost of a coil with ya.

• Like 1

Martin

Hey TT, Thanks for the tips. Checked everything you listed and it's all good. Another RS member (418A) came by today and gave a fresh perspective. While the points looked good, he said sometimes when a motor sets for a while, an oxidation film can build up on them. We pulled them out and cleaned/filed and re-installed and reset the gap. A little more "futsing" around with them and got fire. Now it has a snappy blue spark at the plug. Thanks again for your help.

points oxidation happens alot. ive got a bunch of non firing small engines sparking by doing nothing more than a points file between the contacts. oxidation/corrosion is very common with electrical problems too.

pfrederi

A points file is a must have item in your small engine tool box. My derelict 310-8 had no spark after i fixed up her wiring that had been cut. 2 minutes with the points file and she had a bright spark. Some day i may replace the points but i am trying to do this renovation on the cheap.

TT

Why I didn't mention cleaning the contacts:

The points are good as is the gap......

I am glad you didn't have to buy a coil. :handgestures-thumbup:

oldredrider

Hey TT, sometimes it's the little things we over look that can make a big difference. I learned that in this situation and to me, it's a lesson to remember. Thanks again.