Sign in to follow this  
fuzzy

hauling firewood

Jim_M

Yes, you can put a loader on your tractor.

fuzzy

Interesting...I had no idea! If you don't mind me being a pest, about how much would that cost? Is it a difficult process?

thanks.

Jim_M

Normally the difficult part is finding a loader, after that it gets pretty easy. Figure on spending $1000.00, give or take a little.

Go here to see the Johnny Bucket...http://www.johnnyproducts.com/

leeave96

Here's a copy of my 520H pulling the Wheelhorse dump trailer full of wood.

The other Bill

post-6085-0-29880900-1329170389.jpg

• Like 1

tunahead72

I just started using my 310-8 to haul firewood around my back yard this past summer, on a very occasional basis. I'm pulling a 17 cu. ft. cart full of hardwoods, so the loads are pretty heavy. But it's basically level grassy terrain, a distance of only about 50 yards or so each direction. The tractor handles it easily.

I don't have a great hitch setup on this yet, so I'm not pushing it too hard until I get something more appropriate. Right now, the cart has a square tube at the front. I just drilled holes through the top and bottom to accommodate a 3/8" or 7/16" hitch pin (can't remember right now), and it sits on top of the tractor drawbar. The pin is too long, so there's a good bit of vertical movement, which can't be good for the tractor, but it behaves pretty well if I take it easy. There's also some play between the pin and the hole in the drawbar, also not ideal. At the very least, I'll put some washers or a flanged bushing in there before my next haul to take up some of the slack.

And yes, I would feel much better installing a proper hitch for this thing, something like what Scott (smoreau) sells would probably work just fine. In time...

Here's a shot of probably the largest and heaviest load I've hauled so far. My semi-educated wild-arse guess is that the wood and the cart total maybe 800 pounds or so.

IMG_7448.jpg

• Like 1

WheelHorseSteve

Ok, so I've finally got the C-100 up and running again. Bought it as a "roller" and got a K241 and got it going. The C-160 is going to have turfs and Vredestein V61s on it year-round, which means the Ags and Firestone tri-ribs go on the C-100 permanently. As my offroad hauling and grading machine, this should work out nicely.

Here are some of it's first days on the job here in Newtown:

Picture004.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

The engine never sounded overly labored... and that's some heavy oak! I do love the 8-speed for hauling!

• Like 1

JamesBe1

Very nice looking wheel horse.

That was exactly what I was doing with my C120 with AG tires this winter. I see you even have the same dump cart.

I had no problem at all pulling that much weight (about the same as yours) except the tires started to dig when going up the slight incline near me. Kept it in 1st or 2nd gear low all the time when the cart was loaded.

Did you lift the logs into the cart by hand? If so, ouch! They are pretty heavy to lift the small distance to the cart.

James

WheelHorseSteve

Yes... those are the "chiropractor special" :) I roll them right behind the trailer and lift w/ my legs. So far, so good...

As for the inclines... I agree -- I got it stuck once in the leaf-filled woods on an incline. That said, the Ags really dig and bite for traction... they have pulled that loaded trailer up some daunting inclines w/o a problem. I am going to put 65lbs of weight on the inside of each sometime soon which should help. If only you could easily lock the rear end... that would help immensely.

Gotta love these machines!

leeave96

That is a mighty fine looking C-100. I don't know if you've considered wheel weights, but when I put ag's and wheel weights on my tractors, I've really got a Jeep!

Bill

JamesBe1

Excellent point about locking the read end. Wish it were so.

I found that if I rolled the log onto a small step about half the height of the dump cart, it made the whole job easier. Actually, I didn't roll them axially, but end over end so that they wouldn't try to roll back at me if I couldn't make it all the way up to the cart.

Since the cart is a dump cart, I was thinking about picking up a cheap 12v winch and pulling the logs into the cart. Not sure when I will get around to it.

That cart is really not too good (imho). The old saying that they don't make them like they used to is definitely true here. A few months after I got it, the paint started to flake off in places, and rust developed as a result. The sheet metal thickness is too thin for my taste. I almost think of it as a disposable cart since it's not likely to last many more years.

I was considering a poly cart. Although I like steel carts, poly should last a long time.

JamesBe1

That is a mighty fine looking C-100. I don't know if you've considered wheel weights, but when I put ag's and wheel weights on my tractors, I've really got a Jeep!

Bill

I have been thinking about wheel weights, but I can't find any in my area, and I think the shipping costs would be killer. I was thinking about filling the tires. I know that a lot of people have preference for washer fluid, or antifreeze, or calcium chloride. I was thinking about maybe using peanut oil (or the cheapest cooking type oil that I can find). Seems heavy, biodegradable, and safe for the rims. Any ideas?

WheelHorseSteve

I found that if I rolled the log onto a small step about half the height of the dump cart, it made the whole job easier. Actually, I didn't roll them axially, but end over end so that they wouldn't try to roll back at me if I couldn't make it all the way up to the cart.

Since the cart is a dump cart, I was thinking about picking up a cheap 12v winch and pulling the logs into the cart. Not sure when I will get around to it.

That cart is really not too good (imho). The old saying that they don't make them like they used to is definitely true here. A few months after I got it, the paint started to flake off in places, and rust developed as a result. The sheet metal thickness is too thin for my taste. I almost think of it as a disposable cart since it's not likely to last many more years.

I was considering a poly cart. Although I like steel carts, poly should last a long time.

I really do think we have the same cart! It is not built anything like the tractor that pulls it... it's thin, cheap... disposable really. I got it used and reinforced the floor w/ 3/4" plywood. Someday perhaps I'll find a similar WH cart... they have to be built better!

And good idea RE: the step! With logs that big you want to lift them the very least possible. I don't look forward to splitting those... even w/ the hydraulic splitter!

JamesBe1

I really do think we have the same cart! It is not built anything like the tractor that pulls it... it's thin, cheap... disposable really. I got it used and reinforced the floor w/ 3/4" plywood. Someday perhaps I'll find a similar WH cart... they have to be built better!

And good idea RE: the step! With logs that big you want to lift them the very least possible. I don't look forward to splitting those... even w/ the hydraulic splitter!

Great idea putting plywood in the back. I wish I had thought of that. Now if I can only figure out a way to keep the sides from bending out. There are right angle reinforcements on the back of the cart that bend too easily.

The logs I had were not quite as large as the ones you have. I don't have a logsplitter, so I spent a lot of time with a maul and a sledge to split them down to a axe-splitable size. Lots of great exercise! Did about a cord so far. Heavy oak too. One of these days I'll find a logsplitter.

Oh yeah, tipping them end over end is even better. Get it up on the step, and sorta tip it into the cart. There's some lifting involved, but if you can get it to slide some into the cart, it's even easier.

leeave96

I use to fill my tires - but found (I think) it made them soft and more prone to dry cracking over the years. It is also a pain to patch a tire with fluid in them. If you keep your eye on the box stores and craigslist, sometimes you can find a great deal.

One thing that greatly helps with a trailer is converting it to a ball hitch. You can (or at least used to) get a 1/2 inch shank 1-7/8 ball from Northern Tool that will fit the drawbar on your Wheelhorse. The ball set-up is nice for uneven terrain.

Good luck,

Bill

SousaKerry

I Have a C-175 Auto, and at my old house I had the killer hills from he!!. The Hydro never had a problem lugging anything up and down the hills even with turf tires with chains. I even pulled stumps and fence posts with the thing. The good thing about a hydro is you can actually use the transmission to control your speed downhill. I have actually had the wheels spinning backwards on slick grass with a heavy load pushing me down hill, never hurt the dang thing (although my underwear was never the same.)

Ken B

Very nice C-100 Steve. If you REALLY wanna haul some fire wood you need an Economy. :ychain:

boovuc

Having a Series II engine is a real plus! The trailer I use to haul my wood is large and though I don't have it full in the picture, it is full almost all of the time. My series I engine on my C-175 has been mowing, plowing, blowing snow, skidding logs and hauling wood since I bought it in the early 90's. Even with the "suspect" motor, it does the job. You'll just need to balance your weight to keep those ags from spinning.

DSC01779.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-coolphotos:

tunahead72

One thing that greatly helps with a trailer is converting it to a ball hitch. You can (or at least used to) get a 1/2 inch shank 1-7/8 ball from Northern Tool that will fit the drawbar on your Wheelhorse. The ball set-up is nice for uneven terrain.

My trailer actually came with a coupler for just such a setup, but I was never able to find a ball that would work with the existing drawbar (which I don't want to modify). Thanks for the source, I didn't think to check out Northern Tool.

tunahead72

DSC01779.jpg

Nice trailer, looks similar to some I'm considering to haul behind my wife's/son's Ford Escape. And if my Wheel Horses can pull it also, even better!

What's your hitch setup look like?

Thanks!

JamesBe1

Several years ago, there was a guy selling slot hitch adapters on ebay (maybe someone from here). I got one, it is is really great. I still retain the slot hitch, but there is a ball hitch on top of it. I highly recommend adding:

BTW, it didn't come with the ball. I got that from TCS.

COMMANDO6

A Kubota 7100 pulls a hay ride full of kids around nicely!

Thats got a 3-point and I believe a 5-point and a ball hitch.

Lars

This is how we do it in norway

chevrat68

I have a Raider12 and I have chain draged logs out of the woods up hill that are about 600 - 800 lbs with turf tires, wheel weights and tire chains. And towed over 1500 in a trailer. But mine has a 6 speed trans. And an extremely strong spring for the clutch/brake peddle so the belt will not slip. Good luck to you and welcom.

buckrancher

here's my wife on the 754

100_5143.jpg

7hp and barely off idle no problem

Brian

• Like 1