Sign in to follow this  
kruzr

416-8 Day One

kruzr

Well I got my new (to me) 416-8 into the shop today and gave it a good once over. So far here is the punch list of what I have done and need to do.

NEED TO DO

1. Needs a new battery (previous owner said it was new but its not)

2. Tune up needed. Runs good but want to start fresh. Plugs, oil, air filter, gearbox flush and fill etc.

3. Needs new key switch.

4. Needs seat replaced (old and cracked)

5. Need headlight bezel welded due to a crack near the headlight clamp.

DONE

1. Adjusted rear brake

2. Removed all the jurry-rigged screws and wire holding everything together. Installed new pins with clevis pins where they should be.

3. Made (1/4" stainless) and installed new plow lift connector plate to replace the POS tin plate that was being used.

4. Removed hood and made a new stainless hinge pin. Also welded in some bushings to the iner side of the hood brackets to reduce wear.

5. Adjusted all linkage for the plow assembly. Greased pivot points. Now the plow works GREAT!.

5. Greased all jerks. Pushed out all old grease with nice new stuff!

I need to take some pics. so that I have good before / after history.

........stay tuned for additional updates.

73-18 automatic

Look forward to updates

AMC RULES

:wwp:

Wheel-N-It

Yes, looking forward to updates. What work do you have planned for the 416? Mowing, tilling, snow blower, etc???

Sparky

On a machine like yours I would also swap out the old rubber fuel line, install a new fuel filter, and I always add a seperate in-line shutoff just before the fuel filter on mine. Makes future fuel filter swaps easier :handgestures-thumbup: . While your doing the fuel lines you might as well replace the original fuel shutoff and rubber grommmit under the fuel tank. That screen on the original shutoff can be plugged up after 20+ years of use. Dont forget to make sure the set screws on the hubs are nice and tight (they are often overlooked). Yours probably has two setscrews per hub.

Mike..........

• Like 1

dennist

Congrats on getting the 416-8. You will enjoy it.

kruzr

Pictures as requested

post-6242-0-93827200-1328483700.jpg

post-6242-0-56461200-1328483701.jpg

post-6242-0-49697900-1328483702.jpg

post-6242-0-19272000-1328483703.jpg

• Like 1

1maidenfan

:text-worthless: :laughing-lettersrofl:

Beat me to it, Nice tractor

73-18 automatic

Looks good keep up with the pics

RedMaine

Beat me to it as well.. I was the one that was there when you were picking it up! needs new front tires (severely cracked) but not a big deal.. Good luck with it!

Hydro

When it comes to Horse Trading "He who hesitates .... Congrats. Hope you have fun with that! Sounds like a bit of normal maintenance. Sparky gave you some good advice. Exactly what I had to do with mine.

sorekiwi

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Before running out to get an ignition switch, make sure that its not one of the safety switches that is giving you trouble. Your manual should have the wiring diagram, otherwise it will be in the "Demystification Guide" that is available in the "Files" section.

RedMaine

When it comes to Horse Trading "He who hesitates .... Congrats. Hope you have fun with that! Sounds like a bit of normal maintenance. Sparky gave you some good advice. Exactly what I had to do with mine.

For sure.. I was not given the chance to buy. I was there hoping the buyer would be a no show.. just so happened I was there when he came, at least one of our forum got it!! ; )..

Raider10

:woohoo:That looks like a fine project you've got there. Making me want to go out and play in garage. :tools-hammer::tools-wrench: :D

kruzr

For sure.. I was not given the chance to buy. I was there hoping the buyer would be a no show.. just so happened I was there when he came, at least one of our forum got it!! ; )..

I had been talking to the owner about it during the week and he told me that you wanted to go check it out. I was nervous that he was going to sell it out from unde me but he did the ethical thing by giving me a chance to get there on Saturday. Sorry I beat you to it nut good luck in you search.

kruzr

On a machine like yours I would also swap out the old rubber fuel line, install a new fuel filter, and I always add a seperate in-line shutoff just before the fuel filter on mine. Makes future fuel filter swaps easier :handgestures-thumbup: . While your doing the fuel lines you might as well replace the original fuel shutoff and rubber grommmit under the fuel tank. That screen on the original shutoff can be plugged up after 20+ years of use. Dont forget to make sure the set screws on the hubs are nice and tight (they are often overlooked). Yours probably has two setscrews per hub.

Mike..........

Good advice....Thanks. I am actually planning on going through everything but thought that would be too much typing ;)

kruzr

Congratulations on the new purchase.

Before running out to get an ignition switch, make sure that its not one of the safety switches that is giving you trouble. Your manual should have the wiring diagram, otherwise it will be in the "Demystification Guide" that is available in the "Files" section.

As it turns out I found a mouse nest under the flywheel cover and the little buggers had chewed through the grounding wire. But connected in a new wire and problem solved. But know I do want to get a new magnito because they chewed through some of the plug wire also.

kruzr

Yes, looking forward to updates. What work do you have planned for the 416? Mowing, tilling, snow blower, etc???

Mostly plowing or snowblowing in the winter and a general "WORK HORSE" in the summer. So far the plow works very well (after doing some adjusting and lubing) but now I have to get the blower set up. Not sure which will work out better, plowing or blowing with the single stage???

sorekiwi

Not sure which will work out better, plowing or blowing with the single stage???

My preferance is the blower for 5"+, the plow for anything less than that.

So now you realize that you need another one.... :)

kruzr

:laughing-rolling: Now that's funny! I had a hard time convincing my wife that I needed a second tractor for the winter ( I have a GREEN X-300for the summer ). I dont know how much luck I will have in convincing her that I need a third tractor to handle various amounts of snow fall??

But ..... I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK. :thumbs:

Sparky

Probably would have been easier to convince her during last winters many snowfalls. Not this year!

Mike.............

Hydro

...after you get used to the Wheel Horse you may find a reason to exchange that JD for another one! :greetings-clapyellow:

Hodge71

Congrats Kruzr, It looks like a real solid tractor to start with. I'm sure you will have alot of luck with it. I have a 56" plow on my 416 hydro and it plows like a bear. Eventually my 18 Auto will take over plowing duties but I'm very impressed with the 416, I wish it was a Kohler but the Onan runs good for now...

can whlvr

...after you get used to the Wheel Horse you may find a reason to exchange that JD for another one! :greetings-clapyellow:

thats exactly what i did,sold my jd lawn tractor,sold my toro walk behind and bought 6 wheelhorses with the $