Sign in to follow this  
spinella

need help with an ID pics included

spinella

hi there. new guy in need of some help. i came across this tractor locally and i cant figure out what model or year it is. it doesnt have the original engine. it has a 8hp briggs and stratton. the hood is cut apart to make room for the engine.it does also have a long frame snow plow. any idea on what model and year it is? thanks. -ED

photo-1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

spinella

sorry for the double post. the first post went to the electrical section then when i refreshed it was here.

ol550

1963 603?? Looks like it has throttle levers like a 400 and 550.

Kelly

well, I'm 100% sure it started life as a "603" 1963 6hp Tecumseh pull start, with 3 speed trans, that one has the wrong steering wheel, foot rest, engine, and someone added the fenders they came new with out fenders or toolbox, it also looks to have simplicity wheel weights on it, and the plow does not look right.

• Like 1

spinella

thanks for the replies. the owner is asking $200 says it will start with staring fluid. i'm just looking for a cool project for me and my 9 year old to do in the garage.is it worth the effort? the hood is butchered and i would try to find the right engine for it. do you have any good links for parts for this tractor? thanks again.

can whlvr

200 would be a little high maybe,but its your call and maybe there arnt alot of round hoods near you so it wouldnt be that high,but you need the big items for it

Kelly

I'd say $200 is $100 to much, you will pay at least $75 for a fair hood, more for a nice one, unless you get lucky, engine another $100+ correct steering wheel if you want one will be VERY hard to find,to the point of almost impossible but lots of wheels will fit just not be right, needs a belt guard, orig. gas tank is missing they are hard to find in good shape, the gas tank tray that is part of the hood stand was cut off to fit that engine with tank in it, you would have to find a donor to cut it off from, a few other models will work, then weld it back on, the 603 is a desirable model but that one is in need of a lot.

• Like 1

Rollerman

sorry for the double post. the first post went to the electrical section then when i refreshed it was here.

You didn't double post, your post was moved from electrical to here.

603's are a hard one to do a true restoration on, a lot of hard to find unique parts that were specific to them.

Hood are not that hard to find, it's the same one that was used on the Lawn Ranger & they were a popular tractor.

It should have an H60 Tecumseh...the fuel tank & steering wheel will be the hard to find items.

(edit...Kelly beat me to it on the hard to find list)

Rooster

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

First thing...tell the guy 5000 Wheel Horse lovers have seen these 2 pictures and are headed towards his house with a rope..... :eusa-doh: .

then offer him $100.....or $50..lol

• Like 3

Kelly

On a side note the Simplicity wheel weights will bring $75 or more on ebay so you might go a bit higher than I said, but I wouldn't, that will make it that much cheaper.

• Like 1

spinella

thanks guys, i'm going to call him back today and pass along all the good info. he knew nothing about the tractor. i'd like to put it back to as close to original as i can. anyone have any good links for parts or is ebay and craigslist the way to go? i'll post back. thanks again.

Rollerman

The best way to get the parts you need would be to get connected with other members here & or Horse collectors.

To do a 603 your going to have to do some homework & study up on the model some.

Parts can be had on ebay & C list....but better yet keep your eyes out for a parts machine & hit the tractor swap meets.

The 603 is a 50 year old machine & most of the parts are unique to that model.

Finding all the right parts is going to involve a lot of patience.

• Like 1

spinella

thanks stephen. i'm in no rush. like i said i'm looking for a cool project to take on with my 9 year old son. i have the garage space. i think its a cool looking tractor, and it has me even more interested becuase it looks to be a one year model...so i would think my son would'nt see too many of them at the tractor shows.

ol550

thanks for the replies. the owner is asking $200 says it will start with staring fluid. i'm just looking for a cool project for me and my 9 year old to do in the garage.is it worth the effort? the hood is butchered and i would try to find the right engine for it. do you have any good links for parts for this tractor? thanks again.

thanks guys, i'm going to call him back today and pass along all the good info. he knew nothing about the tractor. i'd like to put it back to as close to original as i can. anyone have any good links for parts or is ebay and craigslist the way to go? i'll post back. thanks again.

Just a thought. If you want a project for you and your 9 year old... you might want to start with something more complete and correct.

I'm thinking that most kids would loose interest if it sat in a holding pattern to long waiting on parts. If this is your first project of this

size you might want to keep it moving or you might be the one to finish it alone. Just my thought, Mike

spinella

mike i can appreciate that. it would be my first tractor restoration but i'm certainly no stranger to restorations. i've built multipal custom harleys...all show quality. i'm also very lucky that my son has a strong intrest in this kind of stuff. he's a dirtbike kid....i've taught him how to ride and more importantly maintain the dirtbikes he has.he's already has plans to plow the neighborhood driveways-$$$$. hes was the only 8 year old at the time i've seen mowing lawns with my push mower. replacing the motor is'nt a big deal, i'm just a little worried about the sheetmetal and appartly the steering is going to be difficult to find. but for the right price i might give it a shot.

Rollerman

The sheet metal won't be to bad, watch ebay or find a hood for a 65-68 Lawn Ranger, 604,654, 704 or another 603 to replace yours.

Here's some pics from the gallery to show you how it should look....

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/1994-1963-603/

Notice the unique steering wheel only used on the 603.

The fuel tank is the other item...it's rounded like the older fuel tanks, but has an extended fill neck off to the side to line up & reach through the hood.

All other Tecumseh tractors that shared that hood used the square tank that bolted to the engine.

spinella

thanks...great info here.

spinella

Well went back and forth with the owner of the 603, looks like he doesn't want to budge at $200. I offered $100. I then texted him And told him I have no use for the Briggs motor and that he can keep it. I hav'nt heard back yet. Hope I didn't insult him. He also has a 800 special with a deck I'm just waiting for some more info

Matt71

I have an older style rounded tank with the neck off to one side. im not positive its the right one but ill try to post a pick later. if you do buy the tractor i would be willing to part with tank as i have no use for it.

sscotsman

Considering what he did to it, he should pay YOU $200 to take it! ;)

as his punishment.. :angry-banghead:

I agree $200 is a bit steep..

in the condition its in, I wouldnt pay more than $50 for it..

realistically, from a "restoration candidate" perspective, its coming without a hood or an engine..

I would offer him $50, and tell him he can keep the engine and throw away the hood..worth a shot! ;)

maybe then he would understand butchering a tractor this way LOWERS its value significantly..

he probably thinks the engine makes it worth more..he needs some learnin'..

(edit) opps! I see you already did that..never mind then! ;)

I would probably just pass on this one, who knows what else he did to it, that is less obvious..

you can find a much better "project tractor" for you and your son..

Scot

Matt71

Heres a pic of the tank i have maybe some of the other members would know if this is the right tank for that tractor.post-4727-0-65555900-1327532855_thumb.jp its larger than the one on my suburban but the same style.

spinella

thanks guys. the seller has'nt returned my calls. i was honest with him from the begining. i just want to restore a tractor close to orig cond...but also not be afraid to use it because its too nice. i even inquired about the 800 special he has and again no response back. so i'll keep looking. just want to thank you guys for going out of your way for a new guy. there seems to be a good group of guys on this forum. if anyone knows of a tactor for sale within 200 miles of long island new york, please let me know thanks. -ED

littleredrider

What kind of tractor are you looking for?? I have a 1055 that I want to get rid of. I originally bought it for parts for my 1045, but too nice to tear apart. I'm in Binghamton, roughly 3 hours depending where you are on the island.

spinella

i'm really open to any model. send me some pics and info. edspinella@optonline.net thanks.

littleredrider

I'll get some better pics this weekend and send em.....