Sign in to follow this  
donamy99

Motor for Raider 9

donamy99

I took the Tecumseh HH 100 engine to a professional dealer yesterday. Got a call today, may need a new piston, grind valves, carb. rebuild and I don't know what else. Will see them Friday. Is this engine worth the investment or should I just purchase a used or new one? If I get another engine, I would go up in HP, maybe a 12. Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki or B&S, which one???

can whlvr

well what motor is entirely up to you,do you want to keep it original then rebuild the teccy(assuming its orig)but get a quote how much to rebuild,do you have any connections to a good kohler,i would go bigger if not going orig,do you want a honda,they are great motors but do require some fitting and are somewhat disposible,and you could go with a briggs,im not famiular with them but some guys like them,if your t going orig i would put a bigger kohler if you can find one

SPINJIM

The Tecumseh HH100 wasn't a bad engine. It's cast iron, and most parts are still available. It's only a step below a comparable Kohler, and more durable than a Briggs or Honda (in my opinion). How much does he want for the needed work? If the crank shaft and rod are ok, the top end work shouldn't be too expensive. You could do the carb rebuild yourself to save some money. It's probably a Walbro carb. Carb parts are plentiful. I usually prefer to repair rather than replace. A used Kohler could be approaching a need for a rebuild also. Good luck.

Jim

donamy99

Checked on the motor this morning. New piston, grind valves, etc. They will rebuild engine. I have decided to keep it original. Cost around $500.00. Should be like new when they finish. They stated that the screw from the butterfly got into the head of the cylinder, we could see the inprint in the top of the cylinder. $$$$ when will it stop? And I throught JD repairs were high.