Sign in to follow this  
CTPATRIOT

WH prices???

CTPATRIOT

Prices in this area for WH and other quality older GT's are sky high right now.With the bad economy you'd think the prices would be much lower.Are people paying these prices,or are people dreaming?C-120's are advertised for 750-950!I do think a tractor in nice shape is worth it,compared to the new crap.In the past few years machines were much cheaper though.Any thoughts?

rmaynard

I guess the questions that must be asked are, what kind of condition is it in? Do any accessories come with it? Are you looking to buy it for immediate use or are you looking for a restoration project? In my area, Wheel Horse tractors are not plentiful for some reason, so when one becomes available, it usually brings a fairly high price. However, on the other side of the coin, it seems like Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and Pennsylvania are the place to find them, and with better pricing too.

As I have said before, when buying anything used, the value is entirely dependent upon the moods of the buyer and seller at the time of the transaction.

Ken B

I'm not far from you Patriot. I agree for the most part. I have been looking for a nice clean original worker for quite some time now. I'm willing to pay the price for the right one but nothing has come along in a very long time. I've seen all the tractors you are talking about on C/L in CT. Truth be told, in most cases I wouldn't even give them half that much. In most cases people are dreaming. I too often wonder if there are a bunch of suckers here in CT. paying this much. I'm not new to the buying or selling game, like the Patriot I know how the game works.

squonk

I think part of the problem is that the GT hobby is exploding. Guys are buying up everything they can get their hands on if they got the cash and room for it. I got a guy at work who by my best guess has bought about 20 tractors in the past 2 months. Mostly cub cadets. I know he's planning on trying to flip these this coming summer at the tractor shows. He has seen another guy wheeling and dealing cubs at our local steam show and wants apiece of the action. There was another guy not far from me who had a barn full of cubs and parts he wanted to sell on CL. The guy I know stopped there and bought a couple of tractors and a few boxes pf parts. The guy sold out his barn in a day! :jaw:

Ken B

I'd like to add that if you like different brands of tractors like I do, bottom line, without a doubt you will get the most bang for your buck with an Economy and or Power King tractor. They are over built beasts and you can often find one for the same money as a Wheel Horse in similar shape.

My brother has a very nice looking and running 1968 Simplicity Garden tractor on Craigslist CT. for a measley 300 bucks! Not one bite.

VinsRJ

I think prices are a little out of line too, for any model. Keep in mind that the CT area has been picked over quite well in the last 2 to 3 years...... :eusa-think: So examples from poo to mint have either been flipped, used or parted out, leaving the rest of sellers with this thought that their tractor is "rare" and "worth money". I know of a couple well know WH guys who where into WHs for years that have just pulled out and have to plans on returning. Can't blame them to a point.

CTPATRIOT

Ken,i like them all too!I've had all the major brands through the years,except a PK.I wouldn't mind getting one someday.I sure feel good about what i payed for my tractors after seeing all these inflated prices that's for sure....

Hydro

I think the small tractor market is in some ways is much like many other things in our economy driven by demand and people like us are the demand!

By comparison to new, a used wheel horse cannot be compared to the $3000.00 box store tractor so the wheel horse by comparison becomes more valuable. Spend a few dollars on parts, add some labour and you have something much better built and usable for probably a similar or longer life than the new one. That was the reason I came back into it. I had a big property to mow and did not want to spend several thousand nor did I want a $3000.00 piece of junk.

Then there are the hobbiests and the collectors clubs like this one as Squonk says. Other people hear about that and think automatically there is a lot more value to their tractor and in some cases maybe but most often not. Lot's of times those high asking prices come down after a few weeks of no activity.

The IH cubs are from what I understand are considered the best for pulling so that puts them in a unique position for that market. I had an IH Cub 149 an in my opinion there was nothing built any better than they were but they are not as easy to work on and not as simple in their design either. Our W/H tractors are pretty awesome and always have been.

specialwheelhorse

Well I feel a little different about this. Every time I go to Tractor Supply

I walk by all those plastic pieces of trash for 2 or 3 grand and I'm

thinking Hmmm ! Maybe we are realizing what good tractors are really worth.

I had a good friend ( former WH dealer) tell me about his boo boo, He had a

dead pine 13 inches in diameter drop the wrong way smack on his You know what

He said he straitened the hood and steering wheel and she's good as new.

If he had had a new plastic wonder he would still be hauling pieces to the dump.

Sparky

Theres no affordable tractors offered today with the capabilitys of our WH's. So to get a machine that regular homeowner can afford and use for some hard work and not fold up and die they turn to the older garden tractor stock. You also have the folks who price them with sentimental value, they are tough to beat down price wise.

I think the best way to get a better deal is buy a tractor with a few attachments. Tractors with no attachments seem to be on the pricey side around here but add some attachments and the price doesn't go up accordingly.

I'll use a machine I purchased last month for $900 as an example:

1) 50" grader blade in near mint shape =====================================$400

2) 42" plow complete/ good shape/ good cutting edge==========================$150

3) 42"SD deck in near mint shape/perfect blades/mule drive/belts=================$400

4) Rear axle bracket====================================================$50

5) Front and rear wheel weights===========================================$100

6) New two link V-Bar chains==============================================$75

7) 8 speed tractor with Kohler magnum 10 and new front tires/Great overall shape====$400

Thats a total of $1550 worth of stuff if I sold it all off separately so by my estimates I bought it for $650 under its value assuming I got the prices I mentioned for this stuff.

Just my opinion of course.

Mike...........

• Like 1

smoreau

I agree with most of you and I live in mid Michigan and Tom and I get a lot of our tractors from lower MI, IN, and OH. The money and time we save getting tractors south of us is better then paying someone up here with high prices. Some guys think they have a gold mine when they look on evil bay and don't realize that some of them are rare and some are very plentiful.

64s

Please excuse the soap box but -- DON"T PAY THE PRICES!!!!!!!

If it's way too much, don't even respond to the ad. Nothing speaks louder than complete silence to a person's for sale ad. They will get the hint after noone inquires for 3-4 months, and hopefully then they will come down in price - the law of supply and demand does work.

Too many times I've sen people pay too much for a machine and then try to unload it 6-8 months later because the wife doesn't want or see the 'need' for 7 tractors. Now not only did you pay too much, but you have $100 worth of gas invested, and 3.5 hours on the raod, so now the resale price jumps up $250 to recoup the 'investment'.

If you figure things out like Mike showed, you should never go wrong. Even if he's off $50 on each piece, he's still ahead. You won't 'get them all', but financially you'll be ok.

Now for the other side of the coin -- pay whatever you want - it's your money. Unfotunately it does effect evryone involved in the hobby.

Soap box closed!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Sentiments aside, :wh: is just like anyting else you'ld invest your hard earned time and money into.

You've simply got to do your homework before you can make an educated purchase. :dunno:

If you're an impulsive buyer, expect to pay to play. :twocents-mytwocents:

can whlvr

up here we get guys asking a grand for a 702 with a honda on it,thats just an example,but there are some fair priced tractors,there was a guy selling four wh,s he started at 3500,last time i saw him on kijiji he was at 1000 for 4 tractors,all gts,if i had $ i would buy them,but you gotta be patient

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Those high price tractors rarely if ever sell and get re-listed over and over or expire. I don't usually see anything worthwhile to buy during the winter. I've had best luck during Spring cleaning and when people get frustrated with repairs during the summer and just want them gone.

There's a $40,000 (yes, $40K, not a typo) "A. J. Foyt Bolens Limited Signature Edition Tractor 1987" tractor for sale on Ebay right now that is never going to sell. Or you could get two used ones of that same model off of Craigslist for $400 in Madison Craigslist and have them shipped around the world first class and still save tens of thousands. It looks like a lawn tractor to me. You can ask for a million but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Jim_M

All I know is, when I try to sell something it's worthless but if I try to buy that exact same thing it's priceless. My solution is to just hang on to what I have and not buy anymore.

• Like 1

hm12460

CTPATRIOT, I've been seeing that also around West Michigan. The price's on older John Deere's and Cub Cadet's are way up too. I kinda figured the reason's above plus the fact new one's may not be selling well due to the economy, driving up the price's on older used stuff. I used to buy 200 series John Deere's (210,212,214,216) all day long for $400 in decent condition. Not any more. The narrow frame Cub's can still be had 1/2 way reasonable, but good one's are few and far between.

4xfourfun

I see a lot of high priced tractors advertised, but it seems they have them for a long time. Who knows what they ever get for them. I think attachments have gone through the roof. It seems as though tillers, 3pts, etc just keep going up.

I have the same problem as Jim. I was trying to sell a C160 hydro with hydraulic lift for $600 but would have taken $450 if I was offered. It had a very low hour 48" deck from a 5xx series and had a new 16hp Kohler shortblock installed 2 yrs ago. The shortblock alone cost the guy $900 when he bought it. Once you start doing big repairs you almost never get your money back out of them.

I love gettting a good deal, but if its something I'm looking for I'll step up and pay a fair price.

can whlvr

so heres another example uo here in ontario,was lookin at kijiji a few minutes ago and there is a c160 with 42 deck,thrower and tiller for 850,but its the teccy,so is that a good deal or over priced?

stevebo

Sparky is spot on in how I used to and still do buy worker machines that I wanted to flip. I always figure if I can sell all the attachments it comes with for what I paid for the package then I got a tractor for free. Honestly when I first started to get into this hobby that is exactly how I was able to build up my collection.

What kills me is those same people asking 2 to 3 times what the tractor is worth will keep re listing it on craigslist at the same price. There is a 3 series in my home town that has been listed several times over the past year for $1800 and another one a few towns away for $1300+ also listed for close to a year!

Ken B

I have seen that 1800 dollar special in yer neck of the woods. Word must have spread that a serious Wheel Horse collector has moved into the area recently (uh, you) and they are hoping to set the hook! Ain't gonna happen.

SousaKerry

I like to blame some of the shows on tv like american pickers and pawn stars....

people see those shows and think that anything they have that's over 20 yrs old is "vintage" and is a gold mine

personally if I see an add that says "vintage" I stop reading

fourwheels0

like most have said you need to be paitent and look around often. the good deals are out there you just need to be ready to act fast and like me be willing to travel.

i just got back from ny about an hour ago (i live in virginia). picked up a good running c-160-8,an 856 with no engine,2 single stage snow blowers with flags and lift bars,rear wheel weights and a few small things for under $400.

sorry guys but CT is way overpriced on everything WH related that i've seen.

rexman72

new england is way over priced and getting worse

like most have said you need to be paitent and look around often. the good deals are out there you just need to be ready to act fast and like me be willing to travel.

i just got back from ny about an hour ago (i live in virginia). picked up a good running c-160-8,an 856 with no engine,2 single stage snow blowers with flags and lift bars,rear wheel weights and a few small things for under $400.

sorry guys but CT is way overpriced on everything WH related that i've seen.

CTPATRIOT

CT used to be the land of pleanty,and good deals also.I still can't get over the prices of all types of tractors around here right now.