Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

paint stripping ideas

Hodge71

Well guys I have the 18 auto pretty well torn apart and I figured I might as well clean it all up and paint it while I'm waiting for my hydro pump and motor to get back from the doctors. I dont have the time or indoor ability to tear the whole thing down to nothing and start from scratch but I would like to clean the motor, frame and tranny from old paint and grease. The tins will be coming inside and getting stripped too and the body work done. I just ordered a new set of body hammers and dollys from Eastwood to pound all of the dents out of this poor thing. I was wondering if paint stripper will work on getting the frame, tranny, motor etc clean enough to paint? The tins will get stripped to bare metal and repainted after straightening. Its going to be a worker, not a trailer queen, thats why I ask about just stripping the motor, frame etc and not getting them to bare metal. Thanks for the info

meadowfield

Paint stripper works fine, but then it's still a lot of work to prepare the metal for painting. An e-tank makes a good job of saving lots of elbow grease - what paint it doesn't remove comes off with paint stripper and is usually clean and shrink underneath...

Mark

AMC RULES

If you just want to freshen up the paint without disassembling the whole tractor, maybe just hit it with some brake cleaner for the heavy stuff, then follow up with a good scrubbing with a citrus cleaner and garden hose. :dunno:

IMHO, paint stripper on an assembled tractor is going to turn into a cuss fest with the quickness. :angry-cussingblack:

shootinok

Mineral spirits works pretty good too for cleaning up grease etc. If you can get a parts brush to get into little places it'll help.

Mine was a mess when I got it. when I got done cleaning it up I decided not to even paint it.

can whlvr

i have used spirits on all my tractors,it works great and is fairly safe,just gotta watch the eyes when the brush flicks

grnlark

If the plan is to keep it together and just make a good base to paint on, I would wash and scrub it really good with Castrol Super Clean (or generic Purple Power) first. Spray it, let it sit for a few minutes and use a putty knife if you have thick grime and a toothbrush and a Scotchbrite pad. Keep it wet with cleaner. Do it a few times, hosing it off in between. That will really cut thru the dirt and grime and any oil residue. Once it totally air dries scuff it with some 220 or another new Scotchbrite pad. Wipe it all down with a good wax and grease remover or pre-kleeno a few times after that. Then you can throw primer or paint on top of that no problem. I would personally stay away from brake cleaner as it leaves an oily residue. No matter how many times you wipe it down after that, you'll more than likely still have a reaction with your paint. Using paint stripper on an assembled machine will just be a nightmare too. You'll never get that stuff totally cleaned out of all the cracks and crevices. I'd think you'll have a reaction with the paint there too.

Ken B

I couldn't have said it any better Matt, you hit the nail on the head.

dobeleo

After I primered my belt guard, I sprayed a little brake cleaner on the part to wipe off finger prints and when I went to paint (rattle can), the paint just bubbled up! I learned my lesson!

stevebo

I sandblasted all my tins and then just degreased the tractor/motor and sprayed it outside. Came out really well!

01-1.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Before the loader was put on.

1-17.jpg

Hodge71

Thanks for all the info guys. I will be media blasting the parts I can and doing the Stevebo special. That thing turned out great steve. If mine comes out half that good I'll be doing backflips. I cant wait for my body hammers and dollys to show up tomorrow so I can commence to taking all my frustrations up to this point out on all the dents and making it look presentable. Gotta tons of primer spray bombs, some guide coat and lotsa IH red. I still havent been able to justify spending and extra 3 bucks a can on the Valspar Restoration series paints for the tins. Is there really that much difference between the 2? Also Steve did you reuse the black trim strip on your tank ends or is that new. Mine is destroyed and so is the one around the hood. I just wanted a source if you bought new so I could get new too.