Sign in to follow this  
dobeleo

GT-1848 / Looking To Buy

dobeleo

I am almost done with my 1986 312-A and am looking for my next project, see pic,

WheelHorse312-ASide.jpg

I found a running GT-1848 for sale, got a few questions:

1. Whats up with the gray color?

2. It comes with a snow blower and tiller, will this fit on my 312-A

3. There is no deck. will my 42 inch deck fit on it?

4. This thing looks like a beast. What are the general comments about this model?

5. Are there issues with the hydraulics?

6. My 312-A is my first tractor, I dont have the heart to get it dirty, I think it will be my Sunday tractor to drive to the neighbors houses and get a beer.

Thanks for your input.

Dan

Shorewood, IL

Irv

Basically a 300/400 series with a Briggs motor instead of a Kohler to make it a bit less $ to buy. It should have the attach-a-matic and your deck should fit as well as the blower will fit the 312. A few members have one and some are restored nicely. Do a search for pics and info. Good luck!

TT

The WorkHorse line was supposed to be the "economy" version of the Wheel Horses. Pewter paint was used to differentiate them from the rest of the Wheel Horse line, although I've heard that they could be special-ordered in other colors.

They were produced in 1982, 83, & 84 and ended when the 300 and 400 series were introduced for the 1985 model year.

The GT-1800/1848 models are actually closer to the last C-145/165/175 Automatic models - with the main differences being the upper hoodstand section, hood, engine, and color.

They use the Eaton 11 series hydro with standard hydraulic lift, 1 1/8" axle / 8 pinion differential and 8" front rims.

I am very pleased with my 1983 and it does not have a problem showing up my '90 416-H. :handgestures-thumbup:

dobeleo

Are there any issues with the Briggs Engines? This machine looks great compared to what I started out with, and it runs!

My 312-A when i started tearing it apart.

100_0066.jpg

can whlvr

the briggs are good engines,if its been properly maintained it will last and run a long time,i personally like the pewter machines,a little different

RCTruckDaddy

I've got the Workhorse 1142 and it's a worker. No problems at all.

Horse Fanatic

I have a GT-1800 which is the same thing and it has been a great reliable tractor. In fact I plowed my driveway with it an hour ago. If it's cheap, buy it!

dodgeramsst2003

I have an 1848 and while it's for sale, it has nothing to do with the tractor itself. I've only driven it around, but it seems like a stout tractor. Would love to keep it, but the bills tell me that toys have to wait.

Docwheelhorse

Nothing wrong with them and all attachments will interchange back and forth with your 312.... a a matter of fact (maybe simply becaue its different) I really like the Pewter paint.... I also like the black hood C series. Depends who you talk to but there either loved or hated in the looks department...... That Briggs is a good motor, just make sure to keep the oil full or just a touch over full.... I have heard that if continually run up and down steep slopes you can starve the rods and it will blow up----espescially if the oil is on the low end.

Good luck and awesome work on the 312.......

Tony

546cowboy

Where was that 1848 tractor at? Hope it wasn't the one I just picked up today. The one I got has a blower and a tiller too.

dobeleo

Hi Lynn,

It was close to you in LaCroose, Indiana, I think you did.

At least it went to a good home!

Wheelhorse1848.jpg

Dan

Shorewood, IL

546cowboy

Thanks Dan I posted a reply in the post I put up yesterday. It's just what I needed, another project ( and if you believe that you aren't too far gone yet). It's going to be a busy summer.