Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Blowing Snow 1st Time, Holy Crap

AMC RULES

Don't be timid, throttle up and let it fly. That little red cab will keep you warm and dry. :icecream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu48aGgLkzw

• Like 1

312horse

I have a 312-8 with a cab , and i piped the heat from the engine fan thru 4 inch dryer vent pipe , i insullated the pipe with some old carpeting and duct tape , there are no fumes what so ever coming in with the warm air , lots of warm air .I have a jd445 with a hot water heater in the curtis cab , and i actually get more heat from my wh setup , i must say tho i have only a plow on the wh , and the jd445 has a blower

Raider12

The NEW winter cab has been ordered to fit my 520H. Just word of warning to others thinking of buying a cab in future. There is a limited production of these due to the demand being low. The factory does not have these in stock as of today but it making a production run mid Febuary of only a small number of cabs. These are going to be hard to get in the future Im afraid.

Also on this note, I am fitting my old Raider 12 with a 42" dozer to move snow off the concrete drive on the lighter snow days say less than 2 inches. The blower doesn't seem to work very well on the small snow amounts. Any thoughts on the idea?

JMW

I use to wear full snowmobile gear with the helmet...probably looked like an idiot but I was warm..

ce318

If you dont mind my asking how much are they.

Raider12

If you dont mind my asking how much are they.

Your into a cab for about $750 or so. Depending on the dealer you make your purchase through. On ebay they are $740 and if you want the hard safety glass front windshield this is an added option.

sorekiwi

I've never used a 2 stage blower, but my single stage doesnt really like much less than about 5" of snow. I used it this week on about 4" but really it was just a test to see that it still worked and that the 520 was up to it (first real snow of the season)..

I do have my blower set high, I have a gravel driveway so I set the blower at 1 1/2" to cut down on the amount of rocks I'm throwing around, so I normally run the tractor with the blade around afterwards anyway. The plow is quicker but you need somewhere to put the snow, the blower will put the snow out on the lawn and away from the driveway.

Less than the 5" and the plow does a better job, for me at least.

Raider12

I tend to agree with the idea of a plow doing a better job specialy when the snow fall is less. I do like the idea of the blower being able to throw the snow out of the way on the those heavy snow days. My plan is to have both of the tractors ready to run no matter which one I feel like working with.

dennist

Denver, glad to hear you are getting the cab. I think you will enjoy the "job" much more with one of these. Wish I could have shipped, but you will be extremely happy with a new one. Enjoy the winter.-Dennis

MalMac

I have a plow tractor also, does way better in the less than 5 inch snow. Matter of fact unless there is a big drift in the way I usually use the plow. I have only used the blower very little. Maybe a single stage would work better than my 2 stage. I have not used the 2 stage enough to warrant keeping it around. Maybe time to start thinking about selling it off. Thing is like a boat anchor in the way if not on a tractor and storage is a PITA!

Hydro

This year I am lucky enought to have a plow tractor and a blower tractor. No cab though. Used the blower 3 times and the plow once. I am waiting for the opportunity to plow into the centre of the driveway and then blow that away. On that day I will get to play with both! Biggest problem is the two of them take up too much room in the garage. With our climate changing though there are lots of times when a blower whether it's a single or a 2 stage will not throw the slush. That makes an excellent reason to have a plow tractor!!

varosd

After living in the south for many years with the Military, we had the great luck to be able to move back north. I can use the B-80 year round now! I havent looked for a cab to fit my tractor as of yet. I like the frozen snot and numb toes. means I'm still alive!

2011.jpg

can whlvr

i also agree that you need at least one plow and one blower,and i do like gary said plow to one furrow and then blow that,atleast the blower gets a mouth full

rockbuilt

I just got a blower for my D-250 this year I put it on early so I would be ready. I also put a 56" plow on my C-195 all done before November 1st and guess what, NO SNOW!! :angry-banghead: I got a cab with the blower but all the "glass" is gone so I didn't put it on, but now from what you guys are saying I think fixing the glass will go way up on my priority list

AMC RULES

From what I've been told, if you have a marina nearby, these are the people who can easily repair or replace the vinyl side panels and windows in our snow cabs. :handgestures-thumbup:

New-To-Red with C-195

Brrly, is that a C-195 with the plow on it? Does it do a pretty good job? I have an '82 C-195 and I got a plow this year but we haven't had any snow yet so I'm still waiting to see how it does. Also, I couldn't locate the 56" plow but I found a 42" plow so I installed that one with some minor modifications. Now, I'm just waiting...

sorekiwi

One other advantage of the plow that occurred to me today...

My blower really doesnt like all the crap that the county plows dump at the end of my driveway - the thick, full of salt, gooey stuff. The blower doesnt like throwing it, and I dont really like the thought of it going all over the blower and especially the chain and sprockets etc.

So I always end up doing that bit with a blade anyway.