Sign in to follow this  
Raider12

Blowing Snow 1st Time, Holy Crap

Raider12

So I purchase a nice 2-stage blower to run on my 520H. Today I have the first chance to use it with about 3 inches of snow. I FROZE MY A#$ OFF! Holy Crap! How in the heck do you guys do this? I know not everyone has a snow cab. Once I thaw out a bit Im to have to rethink the snow cab idea again.

Denver

• Like 2

rmaynard

How did you move snow before you had the blower?

Hydro

Cardinal rule 1) DO NOT BLOW INTO THE WIND

2) lower the chute

3) wear a balaclava, and long parka until.....

4) you can find a cab!

Shuboxlover

I remember the first time I blew snow...It was windier that S*** out and it didn't matter what direction I blew into, I was a freaking snowman when I was done. Got done, got off the tractor, and IMMEDIATELY started the hunt for a cab. ONE OF MY BEST PURCHASES EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't imagine doing without one now...The cab for your 520 is harder to find than the run of the mill 300 or 400 series tractors.

Good luck

• Like 1

mattd860

I remember the first time I blew snow...It was windier that S*** out and it didn't matter what direction I blew into, I was a freaking snowman when I was done. Got done, got off the tractor, and IMMEDIATELY started the hunt for a cab. ONE OF MY BEST PURCHASES EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Couldn't imagine doing without one now...The cab for your 520 is harder to find than the run of the mill 300 or 400 series tractors.

Good luck

What is the difference between a 520 cab and a 300/400 series cab? I thought all three models (300,400,500) had the same body. I recently installed a cab on my 520 that came from off of a 300 series and it fits great.

Denver - You need to wear ski gear if you don't have a cab. That's what got me by last winter. Ski goggles, gloves, coat, snow pants, etc etc. All waterproof and insulated. I also had a special squigee thingamabob that hooked over the thumb of one of my gloves to wipe the snow/water off the goggles. It was like a manual windshield wiper - http://www.artechski.com/ski-gee-goggle-wipe-4508.aspx

Raider12

How did you move snow before you had the blower?

Bob, I had always had my 1995 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 with a plow. I have plowed snow for nearly 25 years and finally sold the truck and officialy retires from plowing. So I wanted to have fun playing in the snow once again. I can tell you THIS WAS NO FUN. Im looking into a snow cab TODAY!

Does anyone have a trick of getting the warm air from the engine back to the cab? Maybe a coffee warmer too? lol

rexman72

i can attest to coming from a nice warm plow truck to these tractors can be difficult but you will get used to it.

wheelhorse656

I saw a guy at a show one year who had cut a opening in the top of his metal cab and ran a flex pipe threw the hole and out the back. The pipe was connected to the muffler and the hot exhuast kept the cab nice and warm.

HorseFixer

Awe Heck you dont need a Cab There For Sissys. :ychain: So I guess I R One! Dont forget the other creature comforts that make it fun :)

~Duke

pfrederi

Real men don't need no stinking cab!! :razz:

92a7a0167807084.jpg

• Like 3

Ken B

The trick to heating them cabs up is eatin lots of franks and beans.

• Like 1

MalMac

I put a 2 stage on my 520 a couple of years ago. Went out made one pass wimp out said to hell with this. I parked it in the barn used the tractor with a blade on it for the rest of the winter and got a cab for the 520 for the following year. Getting too old to eat snow like I used to. And that's how I do it.

• Like 1

WheelHorseSteve

The trick to heating them cabs up is eatin lots of franks and beans.

Good thing I got rid of that seat! :lol:

WheelHorseSteve

I saw a guy at a show one year who had cut a opening in the top of his metal cab and ran a flex pipe threw the hole and out the back. The pipe was connected to the muffler and the hot exhuast kept the cab nice and warm.

Sounds like a carbon monoxide special... if there are any leaks, you're hosed!

MaineDad

You need to dress like me :eek:

DeepSnow1.jpg

• Like 1

546cowboy

This fall I bought an old Craftsman SS16 with a blower and a cab at an auction with intentions of trying that this year. After driving it around with that little cab on there I decided the h*** with that and sold it for a nice profit. I decided I would just stick with what I had been doing. I'll be using a C-175 with a 48" plow this year and if it gets too tough for that I have a skid steer with 4 wheel drive and extended bucket.

Brrly1

So you look like the abominable snowman. I would suggest either buy a cab or dress for it. Not everybody has a snowchucker like Dukes. Its pretty much one of a kind. Buy a snow suit (Carharts come to mind), a mask to cover your face, gloves and goggles. If I can do it I am sure that you can.

post-45-0-45111000-1325617865_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Forest Road

I bought a 520 with a cab. At 6' 8" the cab is useless. I'm happy I didn't waste any time tracking one down. I sold it to a fellow RS member. Now that I have a two stage I wish I'd kept the 520. My 314 is working awfully hard.

For now go buy some clothes an quit yer bitchen, as my dad would say.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

So you look like the abominable snowman. I would suggest either buy a cab or dress for it. Not everybody has a snowchucker like Dukes. Its pretty much one of a kind. Buy a snow suit (Carharts come to mind), a mask to cover your face, gloves and goggles. If I can do it I am sure that you can.

I use the Carhartt Insulated Coverall and mask also. While it's impressive looking to be able to blow the snow 50 feet I only need to move it 5 feet so I angle the chute low and never end up wearing the snow. Plus I'm warm when I need to get off the tractor for the mail, moving items, etc. I tried a cab and didn't care for it and don't have a need for extra lights since the snow reflects ambient light pretty well.

can whlvr

a cab is great,i built a homemade one,its real ugly but works awsome,use a flex pipe from the hot air from the engine and divert it in the cab,i took mine off though because i was getting some fumes in the cab(leaky exhaust)

Paul D.

Jim Beam and warm clothes.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

You know you spend too much time at the cabin in Michigan's Upper Penninsula

when your winter wardrobe is your summer wardrobe, including flip-flops, covered by a parka!

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

a cab is a good idea

Shuboxlover

The 520 cab is a little longer to accommodate the larger seat. I had a cab from a 300 400 series tractor on mine, but had to slide the seat forward some...hey a cab is a cab in my book!

kloe0699

I see a cab in my future.. For now I wear the black carharts(arctic wear) and I keep the chute down and bear it.. :angry-chillpill:

• Like 1