Sign in to follow this  
Pollack Pete

RJ-58 Wheel Color

Pollack Pete

OK,I pushed my RJ-58 out of the corner of my shop the other day.I'm replacing the brand X canary yellow wheels that a PO put on the back.I have a nice set of Firestone ag tread 6-12's that were on an old 2 wheel walk behind tractor.The rims are all beadblasted and ready to prime.What color were the wheels originally on a RJ-58? I've seen pics of ones with white wheels,biege wheels,even black wheels.So,what's correct?Thanks for any and all info.

AMC RULES

I'm pretty sure the 58's wheels are supposed to be almond in color, but IMHO, it hard to beat those black wheels on those little round hoods. :dunno: Kinda makes 'em look mean. :icecream:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

According to this wheel horse history link I'd say almond since yours is a 58.

http://www.angelfire.com/al2/wheelhorse/wheelhorsehistory.html

"The attachments remained the same for the RJ series. From 1956-1957 wheel horse changed the color of the wheels. They changed them from black into an almond color."

VinsRJ

57, 58 and 59 all had almond or off white rims. Here is a short vod of my 59. The Wheels and seat were powder coated with a "sandstone" powder coat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtN1giIqfaQ

• Like 1

stevebo

beige is the "correct" color but I have a 58 with red wheel and one with black. You can always change the color if you want. I really like the black wheel look too.

Ken B

Don't the old sayin go "once you go black you'll never go back" Here is one I restored a few yrs. ago. Not 100% correct with the color of wheels and the foot boards. IMHO always do as you please because you are the only one you need to make happy. I'm restoring an RJ 58 right now and my son said he wants em black.

drawingbyjesse276-1-1-2.jpg

fireman

Here's it in red

WHCC2009RJ2.jpg

wallfish

Antique white is a little lighter than almond, seems closer to the original linen beige color.