Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

How the heck do you guys do this?????

Docwheelhorse

Happy New Year All!

SO... I don't do a whole heck of alot of drinking... I like my fruity drinks and such Mojitos, Daiguiris, Margaritas... and then theres the Captain and Coke and Beer but its a once in awhile thing.... last night I decided to see what this big deal with Johnny Walker is and ordered a Scotch on the rocks with Johnny Black.. HOW THE HOLY HENNAH DO YOU GUYS OUT THERE STOMACH THIS STUFF ? I took a sip and went OMG.... this stuff would make good airplane gasoline...... I tried to figure out what it tasted like and kept getting this "woody" flavor but nothing much enjoyable. I guess I'm just a sissy and will be kicked out of the John Wayne / Clint Eastwood club shortly LOL

Tony

wallfish

You need to get better scotch like a smooth single malt 18yr old vintage. 25 yr old if you have the money.

71_Bronco

I'm with you Tony. Love my mixed drinks, Mojitos and Bacardi & Cokes are my thing. I tried tonight a "Dark & Stormy", which is dark rum and ginger-beer, served similar to a rum & coke. I really liked it.

I tried to sip straight stuff before, and I too was not very fond of it to say the least LOL.

But then again, I don't like wine of any kind, and I know there are lots of wine people out there. As my dad always says, different strokes for different folks.

shootinok

Definitely an acquired taste.

In order to be called "Scotch" it must be distilled and matured in Scotland.

Scotch is the most complex of whiskeys, the smoky qualities are derived by drying the malted barley in kilns fired with peat from local bogs and the water which runs through the heather and peat moors. Johnny Walker is a Blended Scotch whisky comprised of around 40 single malt whiskies, each aged at least 12 years.

The problem many people have with Scotch is that they can easily become too peaty, or too smoky.

truckin88

a good reasonable priced scotch is Speyburn, but for big $$$ blue is amazing, and your 15's and 18's mcquins (spelled wrong) are very good. As well as your Glens. It is a sipping drink and an acquired taste.

pulse301

Happy New Year All!

SO... I don't do a whole heck of alot of drinking... I like my fruity drinks and such Mojitos, Daiguiris, Margaritas... and then theres the Captain and Coke and Beer but its a once in awhile thing.... last night I decided to see what this big deal with Johnny Walker is and ordered a Scotch on the rocks with Johnny Black.. HOW THE HOLY HENNAH DO YOU GUYS OUT THERE STOMACH THIS STUFF ? I took a sip and went OMG.... this stuff would make good airplane gasoline...... I tried to figure out what it tasted like and kept getting this "woody" flavor but nothing much enjoyable. I guess I'm just a sissy and will be kicked out of the John Wayne / Clint Eastwood club shortly LOL

Tony

Follow this how to guide, and soon you will be laughing at the people who say exactly what you just said!

http://www.maxriffne...to-drink-scotch

rmaynard

The only Scotch I can tolerate is Scotch Tape. I use it to hang up a note on the fridge that says "get more beer". :lol:

• Like 5

Shuboxlover

atta boy Bob....I am TOTALLY with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

stevasaurus

Tony, these guys are right about Scotch being an acquired taste. Every Scotch drinker I know has their own story of how they started drinking scotch and learned to love it. I was introduced to scotch when I was on the swimteam in college, and we all were over at the coaches house celebrating a win. (Remember underaged drinking was fashionable back in the sixties.) Anyway, it was in a lemon/lime soda (not gingerale) like Sprite. It was an imediate hit with me. In time, I grew to liking it with some water on the rocks, (pop was not good for you anymore), by the time I was in the Navy...straight on the rocks was the only way to drink it. I always have a scotch on the rocks with a steak dinner.

Finding the right scotch for you can become a quest. The Library has tons of books on scotchs, and where they are made in Scotland. They even have tours of Scotland that feature their wares. My favorite blended scotch is Grants 12 year old, but I also like Cutty and a few others. I never did care for the Johnny Walkers though. As far as single malts, I found one some time ago that was very special...it was called "Loc Due"...it was a black scotch, very malty, not too peaty, not overly woody, and extremly smooth. I have searched all over for it, even in books, and have not had any luck. When I go to different parts of the country, a hobby of mine is to stop into local liquer stores, and check out their selection of Scotch...check out local wineries.. I am always looking for that diamond in the ruff. Tony...don't let one bad experience turn you off to the world of Scotch.

Indy w h

Or just get a case or two of Rock-N-Rye and drag out a couch to the fire pit and light a fire and drink till the Cub Cadets look good !!! Ain't that right Steve ??!!!

Indy

stevasaurus

Well said Indy...we have done that a few times...infact I can remember Cub Cadets looking good 3 times in my life. Looking forward to the next time. :)

DoctorHfuhruhurr

I don't drink anything with ethanol in it. I will use it for a solvent, disinfectant and fuel though.

AMC RULES

Ditto! :thumbs: I don't need any additives either, my head is woody enough as it is. :text-+1:

DavidD

:woohoo: Tennesse sippin whiskey, Black Jack Daniels in a square Jack Daniels glass, not diluted with anything, just straight out the cold box. :happy-jumpeveryone:

Docwheelhorse

Thanks for the entertainment----espescially the link for how to get used to scotch LOL!!!! Maybe someday I will try again.... for now I will stick to the girlie stuff and defend my honor as neccesary! :P

hm12460

That stuff is awful. I find a good, smooth Tennessee whiskey much more enjoyable AND rewarding. None of that Coca-Cola stuff for mixing either, thats just wasting good whiskey. My dog wouldn't even drink it then. Jack Daniels, if you please.

stevasaurus

That stuff is awful. I find a good, smooth Tennessee whiskey much more enjoyable AND rewarding. None of that Coca-Cola stuff for mixing either, thats just wasting good whiskey. My dog wouldn't even drink it then. Jack Daniels, if you please.

Jack Daniels huh??? You did know that it is John...if you are on a first name basis??? :) :) :) Heard that in Canada on a fishing trip one time.

MikesRJ

Tony, these guys are right about Scotch being an acquired taste. Every Scotch drinker I know has their own story of how they started drinking scotch and learned to love it. I was introduced to scotch when I was on the swimteam in college, and we all were over at the coaches house celebrating a win. (Remember underaged drinking was fashionable back in the sixties.) Anyway, it was in a lemon/lime soda (not gingerale) like Sprite. It was an imediate hit with me. In time, I grew to liking it with some water on the rocks, (pop was not good for you anymore), by the time I was in the Navy...straight on the rocks was the only way to drink it. I always have a scotch on the rocks with a steak dinner.

Finding the right scotch for you can become a quest. The Library has tons of books on scotchs, and where they are made in Scotland. They even have tours of Scotland that feature their wares. My favorite blended scotch is Grants 12 year old, but I also like Cutty and a few others. I never did care for the Johnny Walkers though. As far as single malts, I found one some time ago that was very special...it was called "Loc Due"...it was a black scotch, very malty, not too peaty, not overly woody, and extremly smooth. I have searched all over for it, even in books, and have not had any luck. When I go to different parts of the country, a hobby of mine is to stop into local liquer stores, and check out their selection of Scotch...check out local wineries.. I am always looking for that diamond in the ruff. Tony...don't let one bad experience turn you off to the world of Scotch.

And like all things, opinions on various scotches are like bung holes (pun intended), you know the rest of that statement, Everyones got one ... Loc Due cannot be found because it was so bad they stopped making it. They produced the vile preparation in the mid90's then, thank God, stopped. There are even some retards who actually pay unbelievable prices for unopened bottles of the slew. Kinda like Wheel Horse parts, come to think of it. Anyway, Steve never goes anywhere without stopping in a liquor store, so making a special side-trip while on a trip, well, that's hogwash! But, then again finding alcohol can be thought of as a hobby I guess. I can also see Steve making a special trip because he noticed a winery sign at the last exit too. Definition of "diamond in the rough", any reason or destination involving alcohol. Who loves you Steve?

stevasaurus

And like all things, opinions on various scotches are like bung holes (pun intended), you know the rest of that statement, Everyones got one ... Loc Due cannot be found because it was so bad they stopped making it. They produced the vile preparation in the mid90's then, thank God, stopped. There are even some retards who actually pay unbelievable prices for unopened bottles of the slew. Kinda like Wheel Horse parts, come to think of it. Anyway, Steve never goes anywhere without stopping in a liquor store, so making a special side-trip while on a trip, well, that's hogwash! But, then again finding alcohol can be thought of as a hobby I guess. I can also see Steve making a special trip because he noticed a winery sign at the last exit too. Definition of "diamond in the rough", any reason or destination involving alcohol. Who loves you Steve?

Hey Mike...a little rough and below the belt, huh??? And not even a smiley face.?? Did I do something to you.?? WTF

MikesRJ

:ychain: - gotcha! I was using you as the target for commemorating my 2500th post.

massey

I like my whiskey on the rocks. Lately its been Crown Royal, but I did try a local one and that was very nice also.

JimD

Glenfiddich is my personal favorite. ... http://www.glenfiddi...nfiddich.com&u=

Mmm. smooth huh? Here's what gives Glenfiddich it's special flavor. :handgestures-thumbup:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/north/293066-worker-dies-at-whisky-distillery/

• Like 1