Sign in to follow this  
WH520

1988 Wheel Horse 518-H

WH520

Here's what I've been doing the last few months. Not sure if I'd call it a restoration, but it's definitely freshened up.

It all started when I went to order a new PTO plate and while I was buying stuff I ran across decals from Redo your horse. I knew if I got new decals I'd have to repaint it again to make it look more complete. The first time I repainted it I just did the hood and other body panels to stop the rust. From start to finish it only took 10 hours, quick paint job.

This time around I did it right and have to say I'm very impressed with the end results. I worked on it for 8-10 hours a night for about 3-4 weeks straight after work, which really takes its toll on you but well worth it in the end. I used Majic IH Red and Majic Flat Black. One of my friends had some kind of Industrial primer (not sure what the name of it is) he let me use and it seems to be very good primer. I also replaced every bolt with stainless bolts, nuts and washers.

I didn't get any pics during the prep work because I kept forgetting to bring my camera with me when I'd go to work on it. It's still not done yet. I'm going to get the wheels and deck sand blasted and paint them, also going to put POR-15 on the bottom side of the deck. Also getting AG tires for the rear and a new set of Carlisle's for the front. That will be sometime over the winter though. I got everything done I wanted to for now.

Here's some pics of it before and after though.

When I got it

DSCN0242-1.jpg

DSCN0238-1.jpg

Most recent after the first time repainting:

P1010222.jpg

P1010157.jpg

And now:

P1010345.jpg

P1010346.jpg

P1010353.jpg

P1010354.jpg

P1010359.jpg

P1010361.jpg

P1010362.jpg

P1010376.jpg

P1010377.jpg

P1010375.jpg

• Like 1

rexman72

nice work on that tractor

AMC RULES

Looks better every time you do it. :beer:

WH520

:lol: Thanks! It's not perfect but I really kind of surprised myself on how it turned out. I'm not exactly known as a painter.

Now I'm looking for another tractor to use instead, don't want to get it dirty now :lol:

AMC RULES

Why? There's nothing wrong with lookin' good while you're workin' hard. :occasion-santa:

WH520

I think I'm saying it more as just an excuse to get another one :eusa-whistle:

ben06351

looks great.. that's as good a reason as any, too clean sounds good to me. :greetings-clappingyellow:

can whlvr

good job,its hard to get them dirty the first time after a repaint

WH520

After swapping the tired Eaton 700 out for the 1100 out of a 520 I decided it was time for some new updated pics. I've gotten a 48" deck and added wheel weights since my last pictures. This thing's like a billy goat now with the new hydro, it will go anywhere. I put a little over 3 hours on it today and could not be happier with it, very happy I made the swap it was well worth it.

I'm not a photographer by any means so they're not the best pictures :lol:

GEDC0197.jpg

GEDC0199.jpg

GEDC0201.jpg

GEDC0203.jpg

GEDC0198.jpg

• Like 2

varosd

great looking 518-H!! :D

stevebo

Nice upgrade on the tranny and the cosmetics look great too !

AMC RULES

I have to change my first post above to say...looking better everytime you show it here. :text-coolphotos:

WH520

Thanks a lot guys! I love this tractor and have come to the conclusion that I won't let it die :lol:

I'm running out of things to do to it though which isn't good. I've been "roaming" around Craigslist lately. :violence-blades:

CRE1992

Looks good! Those wheel weights are simplicity/allis wheel weights. and they are actually on backwards. They dont fit the right way in newer rims unless they are turned down about 1/8 of an inch on a lathe. They are worth about $80-120 and weight 25lbs a piece. I have 4 sets of them.

WH520

Thanks Cre! I wasn't sure what they were off of. I knew a guy that had them laying in his garage and said I could have them. Behind them I have 6 weights that weigh about 10lbs a piece. So that's 170lbs of weight. I have 4 more that weigh about 30lbs a piece but I don't really want to put that much weight on it. I didn't really need the weights before since it didn't have enough "umph" to even spin the tires, they were more eye candy. After using it today though I decided they had to go back on because it wanted to spin constantly.

jay in nc

looking great, now ventilate the belt guard so post-4393-0-91781000-1336788741_thumb.jpthe onan can cool itself. heres my 518post-4393-0-70679400-1336788660_thumb.jp Jay

• Like 2

WH520

Thanks for the pictures Jay. I've been trying to think of a way to ventilate it without looking too tacky. I like your set up.

312Hydro

Super resto on your tractor!

neil

that now looks very respectable

great job

WH520

Thank you. It's still not completed but it's to a point where it at least looks decent. I still want to at least get 2 new front tires and paint the wheels along with the deck. I lost my motivation over the winter to get those things done but now I'm starting to get it back.

What color gray are you guys using on the wheels that's close to the original color?

Hydro

If I ever buy another Onan, the belt guard modification would be the first thing I would do. Your tractor looks great. Nice work.

jay in nc

from the looks of your yard you must know the way to Lake Arthur by heart! Jay former butler county resident

AMC RULES

What color gray are you guys using on the wheels that's close to the original color?

After removing the tires, hit the rims with a red scotch brite pad, and spray bomb with Argent Silver and clear.

Results are virtually indentical to the factory finish. :thumbs:

http://www.eastwood....-paint-set.html

http://www.eastwood....face-11-oz.html

Anglo Traction

I've been trying to think of a way to ventilate it without looking too tacky. I like your set up.

Maybe Louvres would look very tidy on the Belt Guard for venting

.........Nice job you've done on that, worth all the effort you've put into it.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

You know...I've been eyeballing some prefabbed louvered patch panels on Ebay, for just such an occasion.

Which way would you face the louver inlet to obtain maximum air flow over the rear cylinder? :scratchead: