Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsekid

Rubber Tire Chains

wheelhorsekid

Has anyone heard of rubber tire chains before? Do they work as well as real chains? I'm concerned about scratching my driveway and these seem like a good option, I just want to know if they really work.

The website I saw is rubbertirechains.com

Thanks!

Bassquack

I am not expect on tire chains by any means, but to me, rubber is still softer than ice and it would seem impossible to get a rubber edge sharp enough or hard enough to bit into the ice. ( snow maybe) ice, I just wouldnt think so. just my opinion. there are alot of more qualified guys on her to answer that question than me.

Lane Ranger

I have used the rubber tire chains on my 1975 B-80 Wheel Horse with my 42 inch Snow/Dozer blade.

I have steel wheel weights on the back and I used steel chains in the past.

The steel chains would leave scratch marks on my concrete drive when the chins and wheels would spin on the ice and snow compacted after several days on the ground.

I bought the rubber tire chains as I heard they would grip well on ice and snow and preserve the concerte -which I also updated with a $7000 pouring last year.

Here are some photos of the chains on the tractor and I will make sure to post a video after the first big snow for all to see in action.

I am a believer in their ability to provide the needed traction to move the plow ful of snow on ice and snow covered concrete pavement and drives after my first years's use. These are about - three times as expensive as steel chains -but they work well.

102_0235.jpg

102_0234.jpg

102_0236.jpg

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I have heard of the rubber tire chains, but have never seen any in action.

From what Lane Ranger is saying, I think they would work very well, and NOT scratch up the concrete or black top drives.

• Like 1

can whlvr

on concrete or ashfalt i would asume that with chains you would be riding on the chain alot more as there is no cusion if you are right down to bare(and if i had either it would be,with the rubber the weight would be spread on the strip of rubber giving a good bite,and there is a little edge too that must grab some too,better than ripping up the driveway

mowerman1193

I have read in the past about them working well..But to me it would seem like ag tires would do just as good...Be interesting to do a comparison with those vs. ags..

CasualObserver

Do a search for rubber tire chains. If I remember right Mainedad liked them so much he became a dealer. There have been many topics on them over the last few years.

ce318

I took my tires and rims off the tractor last week and had the tires siped. At my last job we had all of our plows, blowers and road graders tires siped. We ran chains less. The plows and blowers worked good.. The graders still needed chains. I run the siped tires on all my vehicles and they work good on ice.

dcrage

OK -- I am going to bite -- What is "siped"???

Hydro

OK -- I am going to bite -- What is "siped"???

Me too

varosd

not "snipe" I hope! Anyway, I am very interested in them, not sure why they are so espensive! on a old thread of "my tractor fourum", someone went to lowes and used some bungie cords and made them at home by the time you buy them and those heavy duty ties and tighteners..not sure if the cost is worth it vs a pre-made unit

can whlvr

si im not dissing sipeing,it must work pretty good,but on gravel driveway i think chains or ice cleats would be superior,but this thread is about ashfalt,i have 22 inch tires and 23s also,the 22 have a better tighter tread for snow,they would be a good candicate for siping

ce318

Siping is vertical slicing across the entire width of the tires tread. The siping is about 7/8" of the tread deep and sliced every 1/4". Instead of having a completely round tire the siping allows the tread to open up and grip the surface of the road. I have found the only time siping is not good is when rock crawling. tires generally last longer and wear more evenly. I just wanted to try it on the tractor since my driveway in asphalt. I will keep my chains for the garden and Ice if needed

Siping was originally developed in Switzerland so as to avoid the use of tire chains. Where I live they sand the roads with crushed lava rock so the sipes open and hold the cinders acting like studs and after about 15-20 mph they spit out.

Rooster

Why not for Rock Crawling...I know alot of four wheelers who sipe their tires?

ce318

I know that in Moab they use sipes, here in the high desert the lava rock is reported to cut them up. I however have not experienced that my self. My daughter has a 69 Nissan Patrol which runs sipes and we have not cut any tires even in Obsidian rock which we have plenty of

Lane Ranger

I have a video on YOUTUBE that I forgot I had of the B-80 Wheel Horse with the Rubber Tire Chains in action for you guys to see.

Plowing snow January 9, 2010

on 1975 Wheel Horse powered by an 8 HP Kohler engine.

This is my 1975 4-Speed Wheel Horse B-80 Tractor.  Model No: 1-0141with a 42 inch Wheel Horse Snow/Dozer Blade and a set of rubber snow chains that work great on ice and snow and protect the concrete from major scratches unlike conventional steel snow chains.

I also have a B-100 that I have not used yet with the Snowplow.

wheelhorse656

Thanks for the videos and links!!!! I have been debating weather to buy a set my self!

bk-scouter

I have a set on my 314-8 and love 'em. I bought them last year from Micah (Mainedad) and used them the entire snow season. Worked just as well as my 4- link chains, but didn't leave a scratch on the concrete drive, or rust spots on the garage floor. I have them on ready to go now. Just waiting for the snow to arrive...

-BK

PC150193.jpg

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I found another video of my B-80 and 42 inch snowplow in operation with the rubber chains and headlights working at night:

• Like 1

can whlvr

hey lane shes really doing a nice job there :thumbs:

Butch

I have the rubber tire chains because I don't wanna tear up my asphalt. I also have Ags but feel the

rubber chains will work better. The chains Are more square than the ags and they will be biting the

snow from a horizontal angle. They were not cheap. $155 for 23x10.50.

Plowpics001.jpg