Sign in to follow this  
118lfd

Kohler Magnum 16hp Carb swap

118lfd

I just could not get past the fact my new to me 16 mag did not run perfect. Every time you start it weather cold or warm you needed to choke it.That had to do with it being a certified engine, not a real problem but something the 10hp did not ever need. It also had an intermittent miss under load at high rpms. It was really lean as the plug was pure white. The idle quality was not the best either. I tried opening the main jet a few thousandths and it helped but not much.

After much research I found an older # 30 kohler carb on fleabay. The one with the adjustable high and low speed needles. It came today but to my dismay the throttle shaft was worn really bad and also it had wrong lever for the choke. After some thought I disassembled it and got to checking it out. The bores for the throttle shaft were not worn just the shaft. So thinking a little bit I pulled the piece of junk walbro carb off the 16 and disassembled that, swapped the throttle and choke shafts reassembled it after thoroughly cleaning it. Installed it and WOW what a difference some adjustable gives it. The motor accelerates perfect and barley flinches when you engage the pto. Now it starts right up when warm and doesn't backfire when throttled down. If you want a swap for a newer magnum motor that gives you adjust ability and better performance this it it. I cannot believe how much smoother the motor runs. Even though the walbro was perfectly clean and worked decently the kohler carb just works that much better.

rmaynard

And this is a good example of what happens when government (EPA) interferes with business. :dunno:

can whlvr

i had to put a carb from a k series on a 12hp magnum today to get her running the magnum carb seems to be done,anyway she runs real nice with the older carb,but the choke linkage is different

118lfd

And this is a good example of what happens when government (EPA) interferes with business. :dunno:

YUP!!!!

118lfd

i had to put a carb from a k series on a 12hp magnum today to get her running the magnum carb seems to be done,anyway she runs real nice with the older carb,but the choke linkage is different

You can swap the choke shaft from the old carb. You just need to file the threads off the back of the shaft cause they are sintered and you will break the screws if you try to remove them with out grinding off the exposed threads. Then you slide out the plate and the shaft. Watch out for the detent ball that goes flying. Then install the old shaft into the carb by putting the spring and ball in the passage and holding it down with a punch. As you put the shaft in you pull out the punch. Put the plate back on making sure to center it. Also put a dab of red loctite on the screws and tighten them up. Now you have the correct choke shaft in the new carb.

I had to do that as well as the throttle shaft on mine.

can whlvr

not to steal this thread,i was going to switch chokes but im going to rebuild the orig carb first,if i cant get it to work then i will switch it and do a throttle shaft repair too

Hydro

I have a 314 MAGNUM it runs okay, idles fine but does not throttle up real well, it gets there but really I have not been pleased with the throttle up to max nor the sustained rpm. I was thinking maybe I needed a carb kit...maybe I need another carb? Next week I am buying a 416-8 with the same block just 2 more HP only 9 years older. I thought some of the magnum carbs were adjustable some not???

118lfd

I have a 314 MAGNUM it runs okay, idles fine but does not throttle up real well, it gets there but really I have not been pleased with the throttle up to max nor the sustained rpm. I was thinking maybe I needed a carb kit...maybe I need another carb? Next week I am buying a 416-8 with the same block just 2 more HP only 9 years older. I thought some of the magnum carbs were adjustable some not???

This is a good page to get some history and tips on kohler carbs

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

I thought the early magnums were adjustable but I think its a shot in the dark. Some of the very early Walbro carbs are adjustable but on both Magnums I own a 1989 10 and a 97 16 they are nonadjustable walbro carbs. The early kohler carbs are the best but they can be hard to come by or expensive cause all the pullers buy them up.

What I can't believe is how much better and smoother the motor accelerates under a load. When I engage the pto for the mower deck I do so at half throttle and when I throttle it up it used to hesitate and sometime pop through the carb but now it just throttles up smoothly.

Hydro

Thanks for the link. From the photo on Brian Miller's website, my 97 314 has the adjustable carb and in fact I have tinkered with the settings. My issue is more of hesitation during throttle up and it does not run smoothly without a birp or 2 every few seconds at max rpm. Responds to a load pretty well. Maybe given it's age I'll try a kit and look around to see if a Kohler carb is available.

What rpm are these engines supposed to run at? I thought 3600 so maybe that's why I have an adjustable Walboro? :dunno:

Thanks

118lfd

Not all the info is correct on tha,t site. All of these are supposed to run 3600. Even the ones with the fixed jets. I think they are saying if you use it for pulling to not go above 3200 with the fixed jet. But I can say with the kohler carb even if you goose the throttle past 3600 rpm it accelerates smoothly the fixed jet carb did not do that.

can whlvr

the rpm is kinda a mystery to me,3600 on millers site,3500 in the kohler manual unless its an 8 hp,and ive also read 3400 somewhere too :dunno:

118lfd

I have a kohler.magnum manual and it states to set the no load Max rpm to 3600. For all 10 thru 16 hp magnums. I set mine to that and when the pto is engaged with the mower deck running it is 3550.

• Like 1