Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

520 question

Kelly

Ok with 5 520s here I need to get a service manual for them, but they are all diff. years :thumbs2: any way what is the little switch besides the batt. that has a vacuum hose attached to it and 2 wires ? 3 of mine the vac. hose nipple is broke off, is it a Toro item, and anyone ever buy one? cost? if I know what it is I may be able to substitute another switch.

Raider12

Kelly, you bring up a good question. I have 2 1990's, 1 1991 and a 1997 520. I know all of them have this same whatch-macall it. But Im not sure about the 1997. I do have a hand full of manuals as well. I'll look this evening and see if there is any discription somewhere.

littleredrider

Get a pic of that thingy, I might have it kickin' around somewhere...

zieg72

Ok with 5 520s here I need to get a service manual for them, but they are all diff. years :thumbs2: any way what is the little switch besides the batt. that has a vacuum hose attached to it and 2 wires ? 3 of mine the vac. hose nipple is broke off, is it a Toro item, and anyone ever buy one? cost? if I know what it is I may be able to substitute another switch.

Every 520 i've had had that broken. Mine was the switch that sensed a clogged air filter to turn on the indicator light.

SAM58

I believe it is the Air Filter Monitor, when the air filter starts to get stopped up it creates more vacuum and closes the switch.

the switch triggers the warning light on the panel for the air filter....

Anyone that checks their Air filter a a regular basis will have no worry.

someone correct me if I am wrong? :banghead:

HorseFixer

Every 520 i've had had that broken. Mine was the switch that sensed a clogged air filter to turn on the indicator light.

Yep, thats exactly what it is... :banghead: Mine is the same way! :D Since I allready JB Welded the fuel pump shut and got it fixed why not JB Weld the nipple back on the gauge? :banghead: If I recall correctly it looked like a little copper tube that was still on the vac hose end? If the back of the gauge is brass or copper I may be able to solder it back on with a good hot gun which I have. make sure you replace the vac hose as it is prolly stiff and brittle which is why the port on the gauge broke off in the first place. <_<

~Duke

Raider12

Yep, your all correct, it is a sensor for the Air Breather, it's part no. 114270, this little part at the dealer list for a sum of $86.24. :thumbs2: Here is a pic of the it circiled in red below.

dIAGRAM.jpg

Raider12

Kelly, if you follow the link below, you can type in the model and then print all of the Operators, parts and service manuals for your specific model.

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

sorekiwi

There was a thread about that switch a long time ago, I'll look for it now.

Kelly

Thanks guys now that I think about after you all said air filter, I do remember it is hooked to the bottom of the filter housing, I guess I will just plug the hose till I pull the filter housing and then just put a vac. plug on the fitting.

Thanks for the manual link I will be printing them in a bit, nothing better to do, I have a cold that is kicking my a$$.

Kelly

Ok I'm a idiot, or something, i went to the Toro site link above, entered my model no, and serial no and it comes back invalid serial no. I tried numbers close, with no better results, it's a 1995 520, I want to be sure I get the right manual as I need to do some wiring work, numbers are very easy to read, so no mistakes model no 73501, serial no. 5903477 any help would be great.

Raider12

Ok I'm a idiot, or something, i went to the Toro site link above, entered my model no, and serial no and it comes back invalid serial no. I tried numbers close, with no better results, it's a 1995 520, I want to be sure I get the right manual as I need to do some wiring work, numbers are very easy to read, so no mistakes model no 73501, serial no. 5903477 any help would be great.

Kelly, I copied and pasted your model number and came up with nothing. BUT! If I type it in, it worked perfectly. Go figure. If have to make sure there no blank spaces in front of the first number.

Hope you feel better soon

Model Number: 73501

Serial Number: 59002947

Product Name: 520-H Garden Tractor

sorekiwi

Kelly, the "Demystification Manual" has the wiring diagrams for all the 520's in it. Kinda handy to be able to turn the page and compare to the next years model. It also has some good troubleshooting tips in it.

tiggercl

I believe it is the Air Filter Monitor, when the air filter starts to get stopped up it creates more vacuum and closes the switch.

the switch triggers the warning light on the panel for the air filter....

Anyone that checks their Air filter a a regular basis will have no worry.

someone correct me if I am wrong? :banghead:

That's correct.

The genuine Toro part costs around US$60....

PN# 114270 SENSOR AIR CLEANER

Our Price: $68.28

Paul

gwest_ca

For some reason Toro thinks your tractor has an 8-digit serial number so enter it as 59003477.

When in doubt check the Master Parts Viewer where they list the serial numbers expected but not always correct.

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro

This is not the only model number with this problem.

Garry

woodchuckfarmer

Im in the same boat, mines broke too. The 520 and the 518 are both broken. :thumbs2:

Raider12

Im in the same boat, mines broke too. The 520 and the 518 are both broken. :banghead:

I have a feeling that there a lot of these little critters broken out there. Thank goodness we don't have to pass any kind of emission inspection with our tractors. :thumbs2:

wheelhorsevt

i can put a new one in the mail for 50.00 plus postageif its any help :thumbs2:

SgtBob

In searching for answers I found this old post. I just discovered the "air cleaner sensor" on my 520H as referred to in this post is also broken. My questions is for the members that posted on this topic. If I dont replace it, is there anything I need to do ?

DSCF0177.jpg

Shuboxlover

Guess what I'll be checking tomorrow :eusa-think:

Kelly

I pluged the end of the vacuum hose.

• Excellent 1

546cowboy

If you look where that hose hooks to the air cleaner, there is no vacuum there so you wouldn't have a leak. I don't know how the thing is supposed to work and have never seen one that wasn't broken and never really worried about it. You should be checking your air filter regularly. You wouldn't believe how fast they plug up in this sand around here.

tgranthamfd

Are those only on the Onan's?