Sign in to follow this  
lobo

Ground the engine

lobo

Hello my brothers, just to throw this up and see where it lands. I recently rebuilt my C-161 Auto and now the ammeter isn't working, the starter won't kick in every time and the engine is grounding thru the trottle linkage, not every time though. Can get it to turn over with a jump sometimes. When it does start the motor sounds great.

Have checked the grounds on the battery and the voltage regulator, it would charge the battery before I rebuilt it. Same stator.

Any thoughts on this?

MikesRJ

Here's a pic of the C-161 Wiring.

C-161-Wiring.png

1) Have you checked all the grounds listed in the print? (you said battery and regulator but, i.e. engine to frame, kill relay to frame, as well as checking the other two to frame)

2) Have you tested and cleaned the contacts inside the fuse holder in-line with the ammeter?

3) Have you tested the wires from the ignition switch to the ammeter and from the ammeter to the solenoid?

4) Are you sure all of the safety interlocks are activated when you attempt to start?

5) When you reinstalled the engine, did you remember to reinstall the engine ground wire?

6) Did you test the ignition switch? Disconnect all wires from the ignition switch, test for NO continuity between any contacts in OFF, continuity between B, R, I and A in RUN, and continuity on B, S and I in START.

C-Series14

Is it a B&S or Kohler?

MikesRJ

Ooh, that's right. They did come with Kohler's and twin's were Brigg's, didn't they? Hadn't thought about that, or even thought to look.

C-Series14

Yep, got one of each so the wiring will be a little different! :thumbs2:

lobo

Thanks Mike for the wiring diagram, but I have it. Got the wire a while back to re-wire it, it was doing the same, grounding through the trottle cable, guess it's time to do it. Hate electical work.

Before the ground wire between the mounting bolts was broken, replaced that during the rebuild, guess that wasn't the problem.

It's a Kohler, put a stack on her, she sure sounds good!!! :thumbs2:

where is the ground cable of the battery attached? i would assume it should be to the engine block. grounding through the throttle cable is not a good idea

lobo

Yeah, I know it's not. It's grounded to the dash tower and it only happens every once in awhile.

rmaynard

The engine cradle is isolated from the frame by rubber donuts. The engine is connect to the cradle via bolts up through the bottom of the cradle. The cradle then needs to have a ground wire connected directly to the frame.

C-Series14

Like Bob said...Battery grounded to hoodstand, the engine grounds from the engine cradle to one of the bolts that goes thru the rubber isolation mount into the block which is bolted to the frame. I would take a pic but I am 2300 miles away from my herd! :thumbs2:

lobo

That's what the wire is that runs between the two back mounting bolts on the cradle, isn't it?

Repaired that when I put the engine back on, like I said, it was broken before.

Thanks rmaynard and C-sieres14 for the info. Guess I will start the rewire and see what happens. :thumbs2:

C-Series14

It needs to run from one of the rubber isolator mount bolts to one of the bolts that secures the cradle to the frame....The plate sits on the rubber isolation fixtures so the plate is floating on them.

rmaynard

As shown in the picture below, a ground wire goes from the mounting bolt to a bolt in the plate, not between mounting bolts.

c577632b.jpg

• Thanks 1

lobo

Ok, now that I think ablut it that makes sence, thank you all for the help.