Sign in to follow this  
jasoncracer

Wheel horse splitter

fourwheels0

oh ya you have to love black powder :hide: .

i've used it to get stumps out of the ground.

tunahead72

It's been fun reading all this information about splitters, but I can't be watching the videos just before I go to bed, my dreams are bizarre enough as it is! :)

Hey, Ed....those dreams wouldn't be related to anything we might have done "back in the day" when Hot Tuna was in its early years, now would they? :hide:

Duff :WRS:

Well now, Duff, I don't ... remember ... exactly. :disgust:

jdog_kustoms

should i bring my spliter alone to the show for all to see since it seems like a rare peice i wont have my 416-8 running cuase i forgot to order my solid state coil for it today but i can bring it and lend it to someone to put on there tractor for show but not to keep i can problelly even bring some wood and belt to see it work if someone is brave enough to use it

just let me know and tractor needs front quick attach

skeggordon

There went nearly an hour, watching all manner of wood splitting contraptions. My back got sore just looking at them. The rotating cone version actually looked safer than many of the others.

tunahead72

should i bring my spliter alone to the show for all to see since it seems like a rare peice i wont have my 416-8 running cuase i forgot to order my solid state coil for it today but i can bring it and lend it to someone to put on there tractor for show but not to keep i can problelly even bring some wood and belt to see it work if someone is brave enough to use it

Let me put it this way -- if I make it to the show (probably), and you have your splitter set up, I'll come watch it in action ... from a safe distance of course. :WRS: :hide:

bigd

they re not that bad i have one you drive your truck on to and run it with the drive will.that guy in the video holding both ends of the log needs his head examined your supposed to put one end on the ground and push on the top to get the screw started in

tunahead72

The rotating cone version actually looked safer than many of the others.

Still haven't watched the videos yet, but here's something from the Barnacle Parp book I mentioned earlier (bold emphasis mine):

"The Stickler was the simplest and least expensive of all power splitters. ... [it] was totally maintenance-free, was virtually indestructible, contained no moving parts, never wore out, never needed to be replaced, and actually improved with age and use due to its self-sharpening nature. It was also safe and easy for one person to operate without help. It was even virtually impossible to get your clothing caught on the thing. "

Don't know if I buy all that just yet, guess I'll just have to watch the vids. :hide:

As of the date the Parp book was published (1983), Arnold Industries in Toledo, Ohio was producing Sticklers from the original design.

dcrage

Heh guys -- I was looking at this old post and saw a reference to the You Tube video of the guys splitting that huge oak log with black powder -- Which reminded me of a "tease" I saw for this seasons "Ax-Men" on the History channel -- I guess they are adding loggers out of the northeast with their horse teams and 'exploding logs' -- I know it caught my attention