Sign in to follow this  
Tackleberry

New Guy W LT1642 issue

Tackleberry

Greetings I am new to the board but grew up using WH to cut grass, plow dirt/gravel, disc and move stuff around the farm. I was given an LT1642 to mow my own property and the other day I was finishing the last strip of uncut grass the motor without warning shut off and back fired. She won't restart (yes it has fuel, and the plug were just changed) I am not familiar with the 16Hp BS motors enough to know where to start to look at fixing the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TT

:WRS:

You say that the plugs were just changed, but does it actually have spark?

There should also be an electric solenoid on the carburetor that blocks the main jet passage when the tractor is shut off. If it malfunctions, there will be no fuel flow.

Check for spark at the plugs first, and we can go from there. :hide:

Tackleberry

I will look at the tonight as soon as I get home.

Tackleberry

I checked last night and I have zero spark. I wish this were like the C-81 and 312-8 that I am more familiar with... could it be the coil or the electronic unit behind the carb?

TT

It could be one of the safety (interlock) switches that is malfunctioning, causing the ignition to be "grounded out".

I can't remember exactly where it's located on the vert twins, but there should be a single black wire connected to an insulated terminal mounted in one of the cooling shrouds on the engine. This wire is commonly referred to as the "kill wire" which does nothing more than ground the ignition coil and kill the spark.

If you disconnect that wire (some have a ring terminal / nut while others are a simple push-on terminal) and have spark at the plugs, the magneto is good. Make sure you remove both plugs while doing this "test" since the engine could start and continue to run - even with the ignition switch in the off position.

If you still don't have spark, you will need to remove the blower housing (flywheel cover/fan shroud) and investigate the wire from the insulated terminal on the (backside of the) shroud to the magneto. Look for bare spots where it could be touching the metal of the engine.

Post your results. :hide:

Tackleberry

***Update****

Well I got to track down the "kill wire last night pulled both plugs removed the wire cranked it over still no spark... Does this mean the magneto is fried? When it died it reminded me of when I had a coil finally just give up on 302 (which backfired and died on the interstate) all I did was replace the coil and I was good to go... :hide:

Andrew Asbury

Well I made it through the season using the other Horses it is time to get this one back together. Does anyone have the part number handy for the Magnetron coil for my LT1642?

TT

The B&S part number is 394891

Andrew Asbury

Thanx TT

TT

Not a problem. :handgestures-thumbup: