persof

Wheel Horse 1054

persof

tell me about the Wheel horse 1054 as I saw one at the show in Arendtsville, PA this spring and am thinking about getting one.

Are there different engines or configs? What to look out for? Your pics and ideas.

Thanks

Francis

JUSS10

you and me both.

lane ranger has quite a few. they are a sweet tractor.

they come with a 10hp kohler motor but i believe you could fit up to a 16hp single cylinder if you wish.

3 forward gears and reverse.

hydro lift

headlights, larger rear tires

I'm sure someone can come in with the exact spec's but they were the largest tractor offered at that time from wheel horse

i just bought a GT-14 cause it was the closest thing to one of these i could get at the time but i will definitely keep an eye out for one of these. heck I'd trade one of my restored round hoods for one of these machines.

here are some pictures of Lane's tractors THEY ARE AWESOME

102_6046.jpg

102_6049.jpg

100_5607.jpg

100_7805.jpg

100_7788.jpg

Lane Ranger

These are my two favorite photos of the 1054's!

The 1965 - Wheel Horse 1054-A we picked up in Toronto CANADA last year and brought back home:

100_6129.jpg

Waiting at the U.S./Canadian border:

100_5462.jpg

100_5482.jpg

This now has a 50 inch sickle bar mower on it.

Photo of my Dad, Clifton Ralph, on his "new" 1054 from Iowa in August 2008:

100_1739.jpg

1054/953 Specifications:

Length Overall 69 inches

Wheel Base 47 inches

Width Overall 36 1/2 inches

Width at Front Wheels 33 inches

Height 42 inches

Height to top of hood 35 inches

Net weight 650 lbs

Frame Clearance 13 1/2 inches

Crop Cleanance 9 1/2 inches

Fuel Capacity 2 3/4 gallons (tank under seat frame)

Tires front 4.00 x 8 inches

Tires rear 6.40 X 15 inches

Engine HP 10 HP or 9.6 Kohler

:thumbs:

Pollack Pete

Ya might want to look for a 953 also.Just about the same tractor,only a year older.Look identical to me.9 horsepower instead of 10.If I'm wrong,others will chime in.Good luck with your search.

whfan74

They are out their and are pretty unique. The tranny is the weak spot in them so if you do find one check that out well before buying. I picked this one up last spring and haven't done a thing to it. The seat is dirty in the picture but it is perfect with no rips or tears. It might stay in it's work clothes, we haven't decided yet.

1054.jpg

100_2007_0056.jpg

TT

Hmmmmm...... No one mentioned the goofy "unitized" body/fender assembly that's welded to the frame, the gas tank that's supported on wooden blocks and accessible only by dropping the transaxle, and that many of the attachments are model-specific. :thumbs: :)

linen beige

The seat is dirty in the picture but it is perfect with no rips or tears

100_2007_0056.jpg

That seat does look good, but it isn't the original seat. The rear cushion of the originals were flat across the top.

There were basically three models of this type. The '63 953, '64 1054, and '65 1054A.

The 953 was rated at 9.6 Hp. The 1054 and 1054A was 10 hp. The 953 and 1054 had narrow tires, with the rears being ags. The 1054A had wider tires, with the rears being turfs (Ags were an option.). My 1054A has ags on it.

All three models can be found marked as "Wheel Horse" or "Work Horse". That brings the total variants to at least six.

As mentioned, some of the weak points are the transmission (more specifically the differential), the "unibody" construction, and the wooden fuel tank supports. The seat cushions are also backed up with plywood. If you're looking at one, pay close attention to any rust out where the fenders meet the frame. This can be kinda hard to fix. Also make sure the wood parts aren't rotted away. The headlights and tail lights can be pricey to replace, as can the front grill mesh.

I like my 1054A a lot. I really enjoy having the hydro lift when using my box grader.

It's also pretty good for picking up cute little blonds. :thumbs:

HPIM0155-1.jpg

• Like 1