Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Where to buy points

littleredrider

Tried to get the C-81 to run, it cranks and seems to have good compression, but no spark. I spent more on a coil/condenser, spark plug and wire than I did the whole tractor. I needed points too since I was told that's probly what it is, and the dip$hit didn't give me any. So now I have to wait till Monday, hopefully get out of work before they close.

Does Lowes or Home Depot sell the points?? I see they have some Kohler stuff there, really want to hear this run before I tear it apart.

• Like 1

hoppy

did you try NAPA?

dgoyette

Sorry to say but it looks like you might be waiting until Monday. Home Depot, Lowes or any Hardware store won't have them. Do you have a Napa nearby? They might

littleredrider

yeah they are around but are they open on Sundays?? Really don't want to wait till Monday, even then probly won't get out of work before they close, which means it will be next Saturday before I can mess with it. :D

tommy3horse

Hello;

My NAPA is open on Sunday's until noon.

Good luck!

Tom

:D

littleredrider

Checked the NAPA site they are open 9 till 1. Now if they only have the parts.

Does anybody have a part number for these?? Is it specific to NAPA stuff?? Found a number on Partstree, but not sure if it will cross to something else........

qd-16

My napa book has part number, 47 150 03-S. Same contact set for all of the K series kohlers. Wish our napa was open on sundays!

oldandred

Tried to get the C-81 to run, it cranks and seems to have good compression, but no spark. I spent more on a coil/condenser, spark plug and wire than I did the whole tractor. I needed points too since I was told that's probly what it is, and the dip$hit didn't give me any. So now I have to wait till Monday, hopefully get out of work before they close.

Does Lowes or Home Depot sell the points?? I see they have some Kohler stuff there, really want to hear this run before I tear it apart.

did you try cleaning them I very seldom replace the pionts just clean the good with a nail file and blow them off with air use a meter to see if youre getting 12 volts to them if so just clean them and set the to .019

littleredrider

they looked like the have some burnt spots on the contacts, so I figured rather than messing with parts that might not be any good, just replace with new. I think they are originals anyways....

I want to double check the wiring off the coil, does anyone have a wiring diagram for one??

littleredrider

Since I didn't get to the parts store before noon, I did what oldandred said and just cleaned them up and checked the gap. I got spark!!!! Sprayed a little gas in the carb and got a blah.

There was no gas left in the carb or line, so filled it with fresh and tried again. Ran like crap at first, then started to clean out a little, all kinds of carbon hitting me in the leg.

I had some Seafoam left, so I put some that in there, and either that is cleaning it out or the rings are shot, it was smoking pretty good. I can't get it to idle without the choke on at least half way, so probly have to get a carb kit for it. One for the fuel pump too.

What are the adjustments to the carb?? I was doing the 1 1/2 out trick, but dunno if that applies to Kohlers or not. Just happy that it runs!!!!!

hoppy

usually a good points cleaning will do the trick. i prefer a ladys emery board nail file as its a bit less abrasive then a file but does a great job at cleaning off the surface layer then can get from sitting a long time.

as for the carb.................if your running with choke on clean your carb real good. strip it down and soak it and blow it out. your settings should be good(1-1 1/2 turns)

adjust from there when running and warm. keep is posted.

littleredrider

I'm gonna get new points anyways, there were some burn spots on the contacts.

I got thinking about it afterwards, and the carb probly does need a good cleaning. After all, it has been sitting for who know how long. The tires are so rotted that they won't even hold air.

I home the smoke clears up tho, don't really want to rebuild this motor, I have enough going on.....

hoppy

if it has been sitting for a long time and had gas in it chances are so didnt the carb and its gummed up and dirty. had this issue with the choke not long ago. carb cleaning did the trick for me.

littleredrider

I'm gonna tear the carb apart and clean it out, see what happens then.

I want to get this running so I can at least take the parts I want off the tractor and get rid of the rest. Right now all 3 tractors are at my mom's house, she doesn't say anything, but want to get it cleaned up so I can bring this home and work on it....

http://rides.webshots.com/album/575903983Y...=rides&start=48