Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

Drag Harrows/rakes

hoppy

well after us talking about it for to long i want to make a home made drag harrow/rake to be used in the indoor riding arena. since most people are riding outside now i figured it is time to start the trial and error process. ideally id like this thing to give me a nice 3" to 4" soft even surface. it will be towed behind a 66' 856. i have in the past just used a piece of fence but that doesnt do any "digging" it just levels and works ok but its sorta hill billy. what id really like to do is find away to put down some water as im turning/smoothing the ring out. it get dry and dusty in there. every once in awhile we throw a sprinkler or two out but it just isnt the way to do it. i need to work that water into the sand/dirt instead of having it beed up on the sand surface. for those of you that have been to or are apart of horse shows you know what the bid machines look like. well............i want to do something like that but on the CHEAP!!! im thinking i have a trailer. if i can get a barrel for the trailer i could rig up some booms at the back of the trailer just in front of the harrow/rake. so it would spray as im moving and churn into the surface. anyone have any thoughts to how i could make this work and work well? id like get this project rolling as its june already and in 6 months or less everyone in the place is going to be indoors. the ring needs work! thanks good ness the old wheel horse is ready for some work!

Don1977

You might try to find one section from a Horse drawn harrow. They are about 3'-6" wide

by 3'-0'. I have two sections that I pull behind a 1959 two cylinder John Deere. My neighbor tried to pull both sections with a 318 JD garden tractor. He had to lay all the teeth down just to get back out of the garden.

Iggy68

I made one. I will get pics tomorrow of it close up. I just posted a sprayer I made Saturday that puts down a fair amount of water. You could use something like that and hook the drag behind it.

sawhorse

I didn't take a picture because its just a section of chain link fence wrapped around a metal pipe with two chains going to the pipe.

:D

IthacaJeff

A couple of weeks ago I bought a an old spring tine harrow for $80 from a guy

advertising on Craigslist. It had two sections, each 4 ft. wide and with 3 rows of

spring tines. Each row has 4 tines. He used it to drag his horse arena. It was too

big to be effectively pulled with my 310-8, especially with the tines in the deepest

position, so I took it apart and only pull around one of the 4' sections. I had to add

a stiffening bar across the front and a pull chain (plus other hardware), so all

together it cost me about $90. I'm hoping to rig up some sort of landscape rake

with the other half.

This baby was pretty rusted and I though I would surely need to grind off all the

bolts. But they came off relatively easily -- it appears that some sort of anti-sieze

coating had been put on the bolts. Thank goodness for foresight!

Anyway, it takes a few passes, but it did a pretty good job of digging up some

packed down weedy soil.

I'll get pictures if I get around to it.

Jeff in Ithaca

CasualObserver

Picked up this gem a few years back at an estate auction for the hefty sum of $1. It's a section of an old horse drawn unit with a tongue welded on it that fits perfectly into the slot hitch on my Commando 8. Does a nice job leveling the garden. Best picture I have... I don't have it with me in MN, it's back at my dad's place in IL.

harrow.jpg

JUSS10

i just fixed the same one up for my grandfather. it was a bradley. i modified it so when the spikes are up, there are arms with wheels on them that go down to lift it off the ground. works pretty good behind his cub cadet.

i just cobbled one together the other day to do my driveway with. my grandfather thought it worked better than the one i modified for him. here is a picture of mine. like i said, pretty cobbled but i threw it together in 15 minutes. might find a way to add a second row.

100_2614.jpg

100_2608.jpg

100_2613.jpg

rickv1957

Looks like your attachment works great!,Rick