fireman

Going to make a C-200!

bitten

Very nice job!! Really did turn out great. I was just wondering if you use the loader or it was just something you wanted to build. I am in the works of building my own loader( gathering metal for it. Already have just about everything else) and will use the sh** out of it. Keep us posted for what you do next with it. The backho sounds like a great idea.

fireman

I didn't actually build the loader. It is a mid 70's Brantly that originally was OEM for a John Deere 320 and 420 tractor. I found a Kwik-Way under-carriage for a Wheel Horse and modified the loader uprights to fit the Kwik-Way mounts.

I mainly use the loader for moving large piles of snow that build up at the end of the driveway. I couldn't pass it up when I first saw it and knew it would hold it's value.

The loader was in incredible condition. The pistons are the high end type with removable slug end. There are no leaks what so ever and the piston rods are perfect with not even one spec of rust or pitting. It must have spent it's whole life inside. I paid $700 for the loader, $300 for the sub-carriage, and $200 in all new hoses and fittings. So for $1200 and my labor to strip and repaint it, I now have a like new loader :)

fireman

Just and update on this 4 and a half year old thread. The tractor and loader was sold within a year of it being finished. I was made an offer on it that I couldn't refuse (REALLY!). The new owner had it for a little while then sold it to someone else. That owner, last I knew, removed the loader and installed it on another Wheel Horse and pulled the engine out and put that in something else. I have no idea of what happened to the carcass. 

I know it's they're tractor to do what they want with but it was a crying shame given the amount of time and work I put into it. I have sold off all of my collection with the exception of the three that I have completely restored like the C-200 and the new C-120 I have. I don't think I could ever sell one of the three for fear of someone destroying all the work I did again. I really want to restore the C-120 but I think i'll just fix the few minor things it needs, tighten up the steering with some new parts, and maybe a little paint touch up. After that it will be a really nice clean drivable tractor that I won't feel bad about if I ever decide to sell it.

• Like 1

Geno

Thanks for bringing this back up.  Someone would have to be an idiot to dismantle a gorgeous custom tractor like that!   :eusa-doh:

Butch

I become attached to my toys. I would cry if someone dismantled that C-200. That's why I don't sell my stuff.  My kids are gonna have a yard sale and sell everything for peanuts just to unload the stuff. Maybe I'll change my mind and sell it all off myself and spend the cash!!!

• Like 2

fireman

Thanks for bringing this back up.  Someone would have to be an idiot to dismantle a gorgeous custom tractor like that!   :eusa-doh:

I become attached to my toys. I would cry if someone dismantled that C-200. That's why I don't sell my stuff.  My kids are gonna have a yard sale and sell everything for peanuts just to unload the stuff. Maybe I'll change my mind and sell it all off myself and spend the cash!!!

Thanks guys! Yeah when I heard what happened I was angry. Actually angry at myself for selling it (Just like the Senior)! But live and learn. I only sold the C-200 because I was sent a PM and offered more then twice what I had into it! Plus I got money for delivering it to boot! I guess I can't really complain seeing as it's my fault in the first place :banghead:

• Like 1

truckin88

Jeff I remember this it right around when wheelbearing did that 520, there was awesome stuff on here at that time and the horses were a little cheaper, as they have now gotten a bigger following.

oaktown1987

Discrace putting An onan on a c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken B

We are in the same boat Jeff, very limited space. I have space for six at best if I want to keep things tidy, I refuse to leave a tractor outside unless it has been designated the official wood haulin tractor. Tents stink for storage, mice always get into everything. There always needs to be a tractor or two on the expendables list or the collection becomes stagnant. That was a beautiful C-200 you created, I saw it in the flesh. Like anything you do there were no short cuts in its build.. There are a few I wish I had back but that listed is surprisingly pretty short... I think the C-120 of yours is a beauty just the way it is...

doc724

I was not a member back in 2010 when Fireman was doing this, but like others, I have to say it was a real cool and weld done job.  Gives me pause to think what I can do with another C-series, with enough time, money, and skill.  I have a lot of the former, not so much of the later two!

fireman

The prices have definetly gone up. When I first started buying these tractors I could!d get a real clean original RJ58 for like $200. Now around here there aren't many to be found and if you do, $200 will barely get you a rust bucket. Like anything else, priorities change. I don't have the time I did 5 years ago when the kids were younger. Also we used to have great meet & greets that don't really happen anymore. So I guess my enthusiam/drive isn't as great as it used to be. Moneys not really a problem because my only costs were generally hardware, parts and paint. I think I only had like $1200 total into this C-200 build. Were else could you buy a like new loader tractor for that price!

• Like 1

MikesRJ

Nice work! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Butch

We are in the same boat Jeff, very limited space. I have space for six at best if I want to keep things tidy, I refuse to leave a tractor outside unless it has been designated the official wood haulin tractor. Tents stink for storage, mice always get into everything. There always needs to be a tractor or two on the expendables list or the collection becomes stagnant. That was a beautiful C-200 you created, I saw it in the flesh. Like anything you do there were no short cuts in its build.. There are a few I wish I had back but that listed is surprisingly pretty short... I think the C-120 of yours is a beauty just the way it is...

Your C-175 won't be going amywhere. I'll most likely be the one who owns it the longest!

Ken B

I think you have already owned it the longest Butch! 

stevebo

I only owned it long enough to restore it and play for a little while....

Ken B

And lets not forget Will....

• Like 1

stevebo

Then Big Jim....

cruisnblue48

Sorry to hear about the demise of your C-200, Jeff. It certainly would have been nice if you would have had the opportunity to buy it back before it was dismantled. Anyway, if it's any consolation, I can really appreciate the effort you put into restoring these old horses. I bought the 1955 RJ-35 from you almost a year ago.You had done a really great job making this tractor mechanically sound. All I had to do was some paint touch up on the wheels, hubs, seat, frame, steering wheel, and I also painted the tires with Miller's black tire paint... Oh, and I applied new decals from Terry. My RJ-35 is one beautiful tractor. I was able to take it to four tractor shows last year and received a ton of compliments about how nice she looks. I had it proudly on display at each show along side my dad's 1962 502 horse that I completely restored from the ground up. I will be the proud owner of this one for many years to come and hopefully she will stay in the family for a very long time should my five year old grandson get interested in Wheel Horses when he gets older.

post-5879-0-66032800-1421587182_thumb.jp

post-5879-0-51656200-1421587316_thumb.jp

post-5879-0-84146400-1421590273_thumb.jp

post-5879-0-69316900-1421587244_thumb.jp

Edited by cruisnblue48

fireman

That thing looks great Dave! I spent quite a few hours welding that hood back together after the previous owner cut it in half. Didn't want to use any filler so I took my time to add more weld and grind down till smooth. That's really what it takes with these tractors is time and patience and eventually you come out with something you can really be proud of! You finished what I started and the hard work buy both of us shows.

• Like 1

zanepetty

Looks great!

nmassey02

I'm currently working on this same project! I posted about it and someone refered me to this one. Mine is a 1974 c-100. I got it all mounted on, wired, and fired up today. But my drive belt isn't long enough so I have to find a bigger one. By chance you don't happen to know what size belt yours took do you? I still have to remove the exhaust so the hood will close all the way. I have to relocate my battery, it originally mounted down on the frame next to the kohler, but now that space is occupied by the Onan:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by nmassey02
  • Like 1

fireman

No I don't. I think I took a piece of rope and used that to figure out the length.

• Like 1