Sign in to follow this  
sawhorse

Wheel Horse Generator

sawhorse

Here is a picture of my generator. I did not make it - I bought it as part of a package

deal. The Previous Owner (P.O. is the abbrivaition we all like to use now) adapted

this small generator to fit into the front tach-a-matic attachment. It is a light enough

generator that the PO ran it with the belt as the only supporting structure!

adaptedgeneratortachamaticwh.jpg

He welded a long bolt on for the tach-a-matic - that's it. I have never tried it but

I imagine that it would run my well pump.

bitten

Gotta let us know if it works.

Confused99

Nice old Winco generator. I sell them new :thumbs:

Jason

rickv1957

Been wanting one,just havent found the right one yet,Rick

Sparky

Probably has to be brand new dont it Rick :banghead: !

:thumbs:

Mike.......

Sparky

Whats the wattage on it Jon?

I have a 4000w Generac made unit that was setup to work on a Wheel Horse.

Mike.......

bork

Probably has to be brand new dont it Rick :banghead: !

:thumbs:

Mike.......

:WRS::wwp: :lol:

W9JAB

A 5.5k gen. takes 11 h.p. to run! :thumbs:

sawhorse

The engraving on my winco generator says 8.7 amps at 3600 rpm. The wattage

was not listed. The PO used the generator to power a small pump. The pump watered

his garden, drawing water out of some surface waters I guess. I would like to try it, I just

haven't had an excuse to hook it up yet. Can anyone tell me approximately what wattage

8.7 amps is?

Sarge

8.7 amps is roughly 1,000 watts . Keep in mind even small electric motors can demand twice their running amperage/wattage draw on start up depending upon the load.

Sarge

Sparky

Sarge is right.

Amps times volts will give you the wattage.

8.7amps x 120volts =1044 watts

Mike........

Docwheelhorse

Much cheaper belt driver generators can be had from Harbor Freight too... they have a 7000 watt constant/10000 watt surge unit on sale for $299.99 with free shipping right now---it may not be as robust or last as long as the Northern tool unit for 3 times the money... but hey for as much as they get used I would think it would be OK. :thumbs:

Tony

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=45416

KyBlue

A 5.5k gen. takes 11 h.p. to run! :thumbs:

I have the same generator head...bought from Northern Tool, powered by a 9hp Honda... HMMMM something is fishy here..

Docwheelhorse

The "rule" for horsepower to wattage is 2 per 1000. So..... 5.5 (1000's)= 5.5x2 (11 Hp) for full rated output. You could run it with less but be aware that you will not be able to reach full rated output or will go into a brown out (low voltage) condition. I.E.---if your using an 8 Hp tractor you will run out of capacity somewhere around 4000 watts. I have a 10,000 watt belt driven unit on a 416 Kohler single and I realise that I am pushing it when I approach 8000 watts. The horsepower recomendation is not a minimum mandatory..... just what is required to run at full output.

Tony

KyBlue

Tony, then why is the Same company selling the same generator head coupled to a 9hp motor?

Docwheelhorse

I suppose they simply coupled it to a smaller motor to sell it cheaper.... It might push 5000 watts but I bet the govenor would be at or near full throttle and the motor would be breathing hard. Wheel Horse said that the proper power to blade ratio was 4" per HP... ---but--- remember that they put a 48" deck on the 953/1054 which would of made it underpowered by 2-3 hp..... The job gets done but not in an ideal situation. Wheel Horse also put plenty of 36" decks on 8 Hp machines and shipped them. Another example of an engineering ideal being ignored. :thumbs:

Tony

dkopp

1 HP = 745 watts Having 2 HP for 1,000 watts is insurance.

To start a 3HP electric motor you need a generator rated for at least 9KW.

This is due to the inrush current. Rule of thumb here is that if the motor or device is bolted down, or heavy enough that you can't hold it in your hands, you need 3 times the device rating. If you don't have that you run the risk of burning up either the generator or the device. (Well pumps can get expensive real quick)

To run an electric drill or hand-held device you need the devices electrical rating times 2. A 1,000 watt drill would need at least a 2,000 watt generator.

To run purely resistive loads (heaters, lights, etc...) you can run up to the rating of your generator in watts.

Docwheelhorse

Check out this table of required HP.... they are going 500 watts per HP. I think after you figure in parasitic lose etc... that 2 HP per 1000 (1 per 500) is a solid number.

http://www.vmisales.com/voltmaster_beltdriven/index.html

Tony