Sign in to follow this  
Suburban 550

Building a Round Hood for Work

Suburban 550

Back in November I picked up this 753 on E-bay to use as a parts tractor and after lookin' it over, decided it was too good to part it out, so I made up my mind to fix it up to use as a worker. I have two round hoods I use for show, a 550 and a 702, so I'd like to build one I can use around the yard that I don't have to worry about scratchin' or messin up the paint. I just hope I know where to quit with this one cause once I get started I will want it to turn out like my other two and won't want to use it.

What it looked like when I bought it off E-bay

BfIMCegBmkKGrHqUOKjMErzSTSQEZBLEGnV.jpg

After I got it home with a good clean up, degreasing and change of tires

IMG_0271.jpg

Stayed home New Years eve so I was well rested for some work yesterday and spent most of the day out in the garage working on it. Replaced all the seals in the transaxle, replaced the three lug hubs with 5 lugs because the keyways in the hubs were wore really bad, new keys, shifter booth and tightened the steering up with some used replacement parts I had laying around.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

Replaced the 753 dash tower with a 854 dash tower that I had to to make the hole for the starter button. Added another set of fenders because the other ones were bent up pretty bad and used the original tool box.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

Hope to get out there today and totally rewire it and fit some more pieces together. When I'm all done I'll totally tear it all apart and get it ready for paint. I'll probably use Valspar or some kind of less expensive acrylic enamel. I don't want to go through all the work I went through with the 550 and 702.

550 before

12-28-200845827PM.jpg

550 after

IMG_0039.jpg

702 before

12-28-2008101158AM.jpg

702 after

IMG_0194.jpg

clintonnut

Looks good Ray!

You will be suprised how good Valspar enamel comes out.

Charlie

Iggy68

Looks nice! :banghead: I just used the Valspar enamel and is does turn out nice. Make sure you use the hardener though. I painted some parts without and they scratch pretty easy :thumbs:

HorseFixer

Ray looks like a good project to keep you busy! I thought you said no more rebuilds or tractors! :banghead: and make sure you use the restoration series Val-Spar it dries way faster, and as Iggy said hardner is a must! :thumbs:

whfan74

Looks as though you have been busy Ray! Can't wait to see how nice this one turns out!

Keep posting those pics!

chazm

Looks good Ray :banghead:

I have a 753 I'm restoreing , The wiring was hacked pretty bad on it :thumbs:

:wwp:

If you can take some close up of the wiring once you get done would be cool

Also some pics of the starter/gen mounting and wiring would help me out too. :WRS:

Thanks & good job

:lol:

rickv1957

Ray,looking good there! :thumbs: Rick

JimD

uhh, ray? who you kiddin? it'll be a trailer queen quality job when it's done, whether ya use it or not... :thumbs:

bell

Looking GOOD Ray! It is nice to have a worker or two around... :thumbs:

Sparky

A worker?? Oh sure you'll make it a worker! I bet I see this one lookin all cherry at this years WH show :thumbs: .

Mike......

Kelly

Nice start, are those 701 fenders???? :thumbs: those are kinda hard to find in good shape, they have more of a point to the tips than any other model.

Suburban 550

Thanks guys for all the comments. :banghead: Good eye Kelly, those are definetely 701 fenders in great shape. Hope to keep this one a worker not a trailer queen but I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. :thumbs: All I can say, no more after this one. :WRS:

Duff

All I can say, no more after this one. :WRS:

Yeah, those are "famous last words" if I ever heard 'em! :thumbs:

Duff :banghead: