Indy w h

rebuild kits

Indy w h

I'm thinking about being a vendor for the hy-2 & 3 pumps I guess the question

is does anybody on RS need kits for there pumps???? If I get a lot of feedback

on this I can get you a complete overhaul kit without the springs for the hy-2.

Or with the spring on the hy-3's. Let me know!!! Thanks for reading this :notworthy:

Indy

linen beige

I can get you a complete overhaul kit without the springs for the hy-2.

Or with the spring on the hy-3's.

:notworthy:

They both used part #4837.

Are you thinking of the coil type spring (Part #5261) used in the 1054/1054A?

Indy w h

Yes Jim, that is the spring i've got(in the 1054-1054a)

Indy

linen beige

The HY-2 and HY-3 used the same pumps, with the same internal parts.

Indy w h

Well I guess since the only reply that I've had has been sir Jim (linen beige), I guess he's trying

to bust my bubble. All I'm trying to do is help people with rebuild kits for their pumps,but i guess

I won't worry about it. Thanks anyway

Indy

linen beige

I didn't mean to make that implication at all Indy. I was just trying to point out that the coil type springs will not work with a true HY-3.

If you had been selling these kits a year or so earlier I would have been first in line.

Here's the bright side. The O rings and seals are the same for all three pumps. So, since you have the springs for the 1054/A type pumps, and the seals, etc., those kits can be used on them. :notworthy:

Lane Ranger

Indy: Let me know what you want $$ wise for a kit for a 1054 hydraulic pump without the spring. I have a new spring for rebuilding one of these pumps.

I think it is a very valuable service to have you or anyone of the other members prepare maintenance, rebuild kits and/or replacement parts for any of these tractors.

I think Jim thinks that too! As he says he was just trying to clarify about the type of pump -not shoot down your enthusiasm.

We all need your kind of enthusiasm to to serve others with something that will make these great tractors go a little further in life!

Sign me up for a 1054 hydraulic pump kit. I may even drive up and get it from you! I am only in Greencastle - not far from Hickory (aka New Richmond)!

stevasaurus

Hey Jim (Linen Beige)...just to clarify...Indy and I got together on the phone because he was willing to help me rebuild my HY-2 ...see thread in the Implements section. Yes the O-Rings and seals are the same as the HY-3, but as you know the springs are different.

Indy has put together all the O-Rings and washers and he has the springs for the HY-3 units...a person would still have to go to "Norm"s Toys" for the spring for the HY-2 or make it himself. It is the washer that fits the shaft that the pully fits on that is hard to find and is a few bucks...the O-Rings can be had anywhere...but Indy has put a kit together with these parts and is willing to mail it to members for

what it costs plus his time...worth it!!!

Thinking Indy would like to post in the venders section. :notworthy:

edit...there is also a back washer on the drive spool you should have, that Indy includes...a concave washer that fits next to the O-Ring.

edit...Jim...you mention all 3 pumps :thumbs: ...I know about the HY-2...HY-3

what is the 3rd pump?

buckrancher

I could use a hy-3 kit pm me a price

rickv1957

Indy,whats a kit sell for?,I have a spring,thanks Rick

Kelly

I'm interested in a kit with out the spring, PM me a price I might if the price is right buy a few kits I have 5+ HY systems

Indy w h

Jim and Terry:

I understand were you guys are going with this. The 1962 hy-2 pump is almost the same as the 1963 hy-3 pump almost I say. The difference is the spool valve and spring. The spool valve on the hy-2 has a o-ring with a backer ring, were the hy-3 only has an o-ring. The spring on the otherhand is kinda obvious. The hy-2 is held in by a 3/32 rollpin and the "legs" stick into the casting for the spring motion resistance. The hy-3 spring is held on by a 1/4"boltand the "legs" are held tension on two roll pins that attach in the casting. And last but not least the hy-2 handle

is a 3/8 rod vs the hy-3 is held on by two 1/4" bolts. So that being said I think I know my pumps,so I appreciate your concerns.

Thanks again Indy

TT

And last but not least the hy-2 handle

is a 3/8 rod vs the hy-3 is held on by two 1/4" bolts. So that being said I think I know my pumps,so I appreciate your concerns.

Just exactly which system do you think the HY-3 is? :notworthy:

Indy w h

You tell me Terry

TT

The hydraulic lifts on the 953/1054/1054A have the flat handle that is held on with two bolts and are not the HY-3.

An HY-3 was the add-on hydraulic lift kit for the 633, 653, 753, etc. and has the same 3/8" round rod lever threaded in to the spool valve just like the pump on the HY-2.

Indy w h

Let me clear this up:

let me know what style when you reply or p/m

style 1=953/1054/1054a with "revised spring"

style 2=hy's with the original or "hair pin"

if your pump is like Stevasaurus's it takes an x-tra backer ring

thanks again

linen beige

style 1=953/1054/1054a with "revised spring"

The 953 used the same internal spool centering spring as the HY-2/HY-3.

You might find these interesting.

http://www.wheelhorse.org/manuals/Prior%20...Accessories.pdf

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...A-123A0013-0005

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...7-17700011-0003

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...0-71400004-0001

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...0-71400007-0002

As TT said (Thanks Terry) the HY-2 and HY-3 used the SAME pumps with the SAME internal parts. Notice that all O rings, springs, etc. are drawn the same, and have the same part #s. They used different mounting brackets, rockshafts, starter switch set ups, etc. The 953 uses the same pump as the HY-2 and HY-3, with a different handle.

Steve,

As you should be able to tell by studying the IPLs, the HY-2 and HY-3 are the SAME PUMP! The two loop spring that has shown up is a repair part to replace the frail originals.

There are really only two styles of pump, but I would seperate the 953's pump into it's own style since with the flat handle it won't mount where the HY-2 and HY-3 will. So, to answer your question,

Style #1...HY-2/3

Style #2...953

Style #3...1054, 1054A

NOW, to throw this in for what it's worth. These pumps were not made by Wheel Horse and were not used exclusively by Wheel Horse. There MAY be several variations out there and some of those MAY have been painted red and stuck on a 'Horse or two. That MAY explain why some odd ball units have shown up here and there.

Indy w h

Jim and TT

there IS a diffrence!!

Pic#1

1260900513.jpg

Pic#21260900550.jpg

Pic#31260900560.jpg

In pic#1: you will see the spool valve w/spring is out of my 702 w/hydro lift. The other is from my 953 pump. Ok, pic#2 shows the seals out of them( note 1of them has 2 seals)ok,the last pic shows the

diffrence in the SPOOL VALVES. On the 62 hy pump it takes a backer ring w/o-ring combo. The pump out of my 63 953 only takes the o-ring. So there iS a diffrence in the spool valves!!!

And also Jim, besides H-W Century-Fox also made pumps for the garden tractors. They are the

same as the 1054/1054a pumps 1-o-ring.

Note: the o-ring groove IS wider on the 62hy-2 than the o-ring groove on the 64 1054. So that said you can figure it out.

thanks again Indy

stevasaurus

Thanks guys...now I see where the misunderstanding is. I thought the HY-3 used the completely different spring. The HY-2 and HY-3 use the same spring I only had the manual for the HY-2, I did not have the HY-3 or the other pump manuals. I have learned a lot about hydraulics and how it works by undertaking the rebuild. Couldn't have done it without the help of all the members on this site. :notworthy:

Indy is right about the backer washer on my spool-valve though. I do not see this in any of the manuals that Jim posted. My spool-valve has a wider groove where the O-Ring goes, and the backer washer also fits in this groove. It is back together now, but I want to say the groove is about 3/16 instead of 1/8" like the rest of the grooves that have O-Rings. Maybe one of my pictures shows the difference of the size of the groove. The backer washer has a concave side to it that fits up against the O-Ring. :thumbs:

Indy w h

I guess that I need to quit saying 953/1054-1054a!!!! I should say 1054/-1054a only. My bad

sorry guys my mistake

Indy

Lane Ranger

Indy: Thank you. I will get a check in the mail to you tonight!

defed

Indy...which springs do you have? the 1054 or hy2/3? i lost track in all the back and forth comparisons.

Indy w h

Defed, I have the 1054 type springs

defed

ok thanks, that's what i thought, just wanted to make sure. i need the other type. guess i can try to bend some as described in other threads.

linen beige

:thumbs:

What is begining to come into focus is that there may have been SEVERAL variations of these pumps.

My '62 HY-2 does not have ANY "backer washer" of any kind on the spool valve. Only one O ring, just as shown in the IPL. It also has the flat half loop spring shown in the IPL.

Just out of curiousity Indy, What is the serial number and model number on your '62 pump?

With the improved spring and extra O ring is it possible that yours has been rebuilt before? Or maybe there was a mid-year change that doesn't show in IPLs?

OH, BTW, Since some of the early Cubs used the same pumps as the 1054/A your potential customer list just grew. :notworthy: