Sign in to follow this  
defed

1st test drive of D-160 and blower

defed

have a D-160 w/ blower. rear weights and chains and i leave the 3 pt tiller on for weight also. previous years i have used a C-195 (also w/ rear weights, chains and tiller). the D is quite a bit easier to use. must be because it's a heavier machine, it doesn't get pulled into the deep snow as easy (also maybe because it doesn't have wings on the blower) and just overall easier to get into and out of tough places. doesn't spin or get 'hung up' as much.

some issues i had... the blower hangs crooked. not sure if the mounting is bent or tires have unequal pressure. it wouldn't be a problem on a paved drive, as it would level itself on the skids, but on the gravel, the lower side must dig in a bit before the high side touches...was flinging stone like crazy! was tricky to get it at the proper level. should get better when the ground freezes.

also hit some wet spots hidden under the snow, it didn't like throwing slush. the slush would freeze on the inside of the shoot clogging it up. 1st time i ever had a clogged shoot in 3 yrs.

despite the lower HP, it worked pretty good. overall, any times i could have used more power were offset by the other areas where the D made things easier. still need a cab/windshield tho.

billyban1

As far as the blower being crooked when slightly elevated, take a look at the rock shaft arms under the tractor. Are they parallel to each other? Can you see any cracks in the welds where the blower lift arms weld to the cross shaft? I put together a 180 Auto this fall and I also have a blower for it. I noticed that the 2 arms sticking down that moves forward to lift the blower were not parallel (even). A closer inspection revealed that the weld on one of the arms was cracked. I was going to correct the alignment and re-weld it, but a rock shaft came up on e-bay that nobody was bidding on and I got it dirt cheap. I would guess that is what is lifting your blower more on one side than the other.

wheel horse 1045

lets see some pictures of it working

defed

Billy, i looked at it a bit in the summer, and everything looked ok, but i will have to inspect it closer at the points you mention. i figure it will 'self level' on the skids when the ground freezes, but it sure is a pain when it can still dig in. it almost seems as if one side has flat tires (C-195 did that when one tire was low), but the side that actually does lose air is the high side!

sorry 1045, there's no one here to take pics, just me. altho, if i put some weight in the seat to keep the PTO on, i could let it drive itself for awhile. there's an idea for Duke....full remote control, run it from the living room.

wheel horse 1045

lol

rickv1957

Defed,sure like them Ds,Rick :notworthy:

Gerry w

Park it on the level, check your pressures. If okay check those lift arms at mid mount, great "catch" there with that advise! If those are okay then it's most likely a bent frame somewhere. Good luck!

Oh yeah, wax the chute to help with the snow sticking!