Alrashid2

Bought my first tractor, a 312-8

MainelyWheelhorse

@Alrashid2 as far as lights go for your tractor. a set of PAR 36 Landscape light bolts right in to the factory light bucket and uses less power than the factory light. I run those on my 92 312 and 87 308. There isn’t a specific brand. Amazon and Home Depot have them for fairly cheap. 

I run 90wt gear oil in the rear ends of my tractors. Once you see it you will want to check the rear transmission oil One thing to look for is if it’s yellow like Tapioca there is water in it, you’ll want to change that out. 

• Like 1

Alrashid2

I will surely check that out when I have it back in my hands. Guess I hadn't thought about transmission fluid. I need to get some details and will post back!

oliver2-44

@JCM @Alrashid2 I have a 312-8 that has the hard plastic steering wheel and rear reflectors/not tail lights. It also does not have an hour meter . I’ve had the head off the engine and its bore is definitely that of a 12 hp. Mine has the K series Kohler and is an 84 or 85 based on the engine serial number. 

• Like 5

Alrashid2
7 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@JCM @Alrashid2 I have a 312-8 that has the hard plastic steering wheel and rear reflectors/not tail lights. It also does not have an hour meter . I’ve had the head off the engine and its bore is definitely that of a 12 hp. Mine has the K series Kohler and is an 84 or 85 based on the engine serial number. 

Hey Oliver that's great to know! Maybe I have one like you. I'll hopefully know Wed!

gwest_ca

Looks like the ID decal is below your seat. Should be model number, serial number and 4-digit Julian build date on it.

312-8 Vin.jpg

• Like 5

ri702bill

Welcome! Here is a compiled ever-growing list of suggestions for the New Owner. Covers a lot of common problems & fixes.

Pay no attention to Kevin & the burning tractor.....!!

• Like 2

TonyToro Jr.

Alrashid2

Thanks guys! Will check out these links after work tonight, or if I have time beforehand.

Here's a random and maybe stupid question being new to older tractors but having driven stick shift for years:

Can you shift gears on these Wheel Horses while moving? Eg, going down the path in second gear, push in clutch, shift to third, release clutch pedal...?

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Alrashid2 said:

Thanks guys! Will check out these links after work tonight, or if I have time beforehand.

Here's a random and maybe stupid question being new to older tractors but having driven stick shift for years:

Can you shift gears on these Wheel Horses while moving? Eg, going down the path in second gear, push in clutch, shift to third, release clutch pedal...?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

NOOOOOOO!

Always stop before shifting gears.  The transmission will thank you kindly!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Alrashid2
11 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

NOOOOOOO!

Always stop before shifting gears.  The transmission will thank you kindly!

Glad I asked haha!

So what's the purpose of 3rd gear then? I assume then I can safely start straight from third? Just faster?

• Like 3

Alrashid2

Another stupid question incoming!

I'm in gear driving and need to come to a stop. I assume I need to be in neutral before I get to a complete stop? Can I brake to slow down while in gear as long as I'm moving?

WHX??
1 hour ago, TonyToro Jr. said:

I got this seat for my 310-8

I got that one too Jr. ... Nice seat for the money

2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Pay no attention to Kevin & the burning tractor.....!!

I grin every time that thread gets posted Kev @Pullstart ... How that pic got pinned with that thread never know! 

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
31 minutes ago, Alrashid2 said:

Glad I asked haha!

So what's the purpose of 3rd gear then? I assume then I can safely start straight from third? Just faster?

yes you can start in third...

14 minutes ago, Alrashid2 said:

Another stupid question incoming!

I'm in gear driving and need to come to a stop. I assume I need to be in neutral before I get to a complete stop? Can I brake to slow down while in gear as long as I'm moving?

no need to be in neutral just push in clutch and brake.

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2

953 nut
11 hours ago, Alrashid2 said:

Once I get some additional photos and get to see the faceplate on the tractor, I'll post back here. Hoping you guys can help me figure out what to order in advance so I can have everything in hand when I go to tune her up next week!

• Oil capacity / weight           engine oil, two quarts of 30 weight (any brand you like)
  • Spark plug                          Champion H-10
  • Air filter                               depending on the year,    6" OD by 1 7/8" or 3"       Take the old one with you, Tractor Supply has a good selection

No need to buy manuals on line, you can download them for free on this site. Once you know the model number we will hook you up with the correct ones.

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:  as you've already realized, there's not a question you can ask, that you can't get an answer to.

Ed Kennell

Wow, quite a party.   Looks like the boys have all your questions answered.  Sorry I'm late.   I have a 312H and a 310-8.  Both have great fuel sipping Magnum Kohler engines.   

I use the 310-8  with a 42" SD for mowing, hauling firewood , and hauling my lazy rear to my deer stand.       I much prefer the 312H and hydraulic lift for snow removal. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:

• Excellent 2

Alrashid2

You guys are awesome :) definitely making me feel less anxious about taking on a new project!

This thread has gotten pretty big, so I think tomorrow when I get more details I'll post a fresh thread and link back to this one so we're all on the same page as to what model and engine I have.

Thank you all again!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
17 minutes ago, Alrashid2 said:

You guys are awesome :) definitely making me feel less anxious about taking on a new project!

This thread has gotten pretty big, so I think tomorrow when I get more details I'll post a fresh thread and link back to this one so we're all on the same page as to what model and engine I have.

Thank you all again!

I'd keep it all here so easy to reference...

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 2

Alrashid2
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

I'd keep it all here so easy to reference...

:twocents-twocents:

Learning as I go.will do!

• Like 2

manahale

Nice looking. Good luck!

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

How that pic got pinned with that thread never know! 

Pure awesome luck!!

:lol:

2 hours ago, Alrashid2 said:

Learning as I go.will do!

I got nothing constructive to add. Just wanted to say welcome.

• Like 1