Alrashid2

Bought my first tractor, a 312-8

Alrashid2

Hey guys. New here and just bought my first ever tractor: a Wheel Horse 312-8. No idea on year or hours, as there is no hours meter, but she seems to run very well and I'm excited to learn how to maintain this! I have a ton of questions and I'm hoping I can get some help here, as google researching isn't turning up much for me, and obviously Wheel Horse is no longer in business. I bought the tractor today but didn't have a way to get it to me, so will have it later this week and can get some photos/details if needed. 

• Anyone know how I can get a parts manual? I'd like to have one in case I run into issues later on, and also just to get the basics sorted out: Spark Plug, Air Filter, Tire size, Light Bulb size, belt(s) etc... I like to keep spare parts on hand and would like to get some now!
  • Likewise, I'd like to have a service manual too if there exists one, or just a general owners manual. Need to know oil capacity, how to remove the deck (won't be mowing with this so removing the 42" deck), how to replace a tire, etc
  • Speaking of manuals, I found a few online but they seem to be for the newer Toro Wheel Horse models. Not sure how much they align with the older models
  • Anything I should know specifically about this model or Wheel Horses in general? I will be using it primarily for hauling carts of firewood to and from the house during the heating season, and maybe for moving dirt and mulch in the summer
  • I know I need a new seat for the tractor and am overwhelmed and confused when googling online. Any idea how I can figure out what seat would fit this model? 
  • I'm thinking I could maybe sell the 42" deck if there is a market for it. Anyone know if they are worth selling?

That's all I can come up with now. I'm sure I'll come up with more! Unfortunately I'm busy with work the next week or so but plan on taking off a day next week to give this thing some TLC: wash her down, clean up any rusty spots, oil change, clean the air filter, check the tires, etc. Thanks all for your advice and I'm excited to be here!

WH3.jpg

WH2.jpg

WH 1.jpg

Edited by Alrashid2
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

JCM

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to   :rs:

Achto

:WRS:

Alrashid2

Thanks, guys! Real happy to be here and so excited to finally have a tractor. Checking another box on my mini-homestead wish list for our 1.5 acre property :) 

I'll go search there now

JCM

You may have a 310-8 possibly. 312 's had hour meters.and a soft feel steering wheel. Yours has a plastic wheel. Is the sticker on the fender pan between your legs when seated legible ? probably not. If you have a K-Series Kohler with a coil it is either a 1985 , 6 or 7. If it has a Kohler Magnum. no coil it is an 88 or 89. This may help a bit from memory, mine.

Alrashid2
1 minute ago, JCM said:

You may have a 310-8 possibly. 312 's had hour meters.and a soft feel steering wheel. Yours has a plastic wheel. Is the sticker on the fender pan between your legs when seated legible ? probably not. If you have a K-Series Kohler with a coil it is either a 1985 , 6 or 7. If it has a Kohler Magnum. no coil it is an 88 or 89. This may help a bit from memory, mine.

Thanks for your input JCM. Did you see my photos? The outside of the tractor says 312-8, not 310. I am getting it this week and can report back on the sticker, and which K engine I have. Thanks again

JCM

I was thinking maybe the hood was swapped out at some point ?  I could be wrong.

JCM

Tailights on the 312. The 310 had reflectors. Few more things to go by.

Alrashid2

Ah, good to know. Shoot, I don't remember if it had taillights or not... guess we will find out. Is the 310 still a good tractor if I've been a bit bamboozled? 

JCM

Few pics of my 1989  312-8.

P1012400.JPG

P1012401.JPG

Alrashid2

Wow she is gorgeous! I tried looking at the few pictures I took again, none of the rear end... however I did see this sliver of something on the back. They kind of look like reflectors more than taillights to me after seeing yours, so you could very well be right... is the 310-8 still a good thing? Any other differences I should know of? 

wh4.jpg

Edited by Alrashid2
  • Like 1

JCM

310- 8 is a great tractor. I sold one last year.

IMG_0799.JPG

Alrashid2

Another beaut... can I ask how much that one sold for?

Ok, I feel not so bad now. The seller inherited the tractor from his deceased family member and is selling off their possessions. Don't think he realized it's a 310 and not a 312. My OCD will be bothered by the incorrect label but it is what is haha. 

JCM

You can't go wrong with either one IMHO. The ratty looking pics are what it looked like when I go it.  The 310

IMG_0800.JPG

20191201_091320.jpg

20191201_091227.jpg

20191201_091239.jpg

JCM

WELCOME to the OCD CLUB  :ROTF:

• Haha 1

WHX??

Don' worry about what model it is ... They're all good. Once you get it give us a pic of the sticker left side of seat and off the engine. We will have manuals for everything right here. We can help out with all your questions, 

• Like 1

Alrashid2

Wow, you did a nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Can I ask, do you have any advice on a replacement seat? I'm no restorer or collector, and just need something functional and clean. I'm seeing a ton of universal ones online but not sure what to look for that would be able to properly mount

• Like 1

JCM

It was dropped off in my yard, In very rough shape, but had a very strong motor.

Alrashid2
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Don' worry about what model it is ... They're all good. Once you get it give us a pic of the sticker left side of seat and off the engine. We will have manuals for everything right here. We can help out with all your questions, 

You guys rock :) Thanks for the reassurance. Hey, I have to be honest, I had no clue what Wheel Horse even was yesterday, so I can't really be picky with model numbers! I'm excited. I'll post some photos on Wed!

• Like 1

JCM

You need to measure the center to center measurements on the seat and seat springs. Tractor supply etc for the seat. Maybe a member on here.

• Like 1

WHX??
Just now, Alrashid2 said:

would be able to properly mount

Most any seat labeled universal will fit ... it's all a matter of personal preference. 

We can tell yer excited right Plunge?!?!  That's a good thing! 

• Excellent 1

Alrashid2

Once I get some additional photos and get to see the faceplate on the tractor, I'll post back here. Hoping you guys can help me figure out what to order in advance so I can have everything in hand when I go to tune her up next week!

• Oil capacity / weight
  • Spark plug
  • Air filter
  • Belt (s)?
  • Light bulb size

Alrashid2

Haha yes sir I am quite excited! OK, great to know any universal will work. I'll look at a few and grab one once I see the original seat's bolt pattern in person again. Thanks guys! Stoked!

• Like 1

JCM

If the engine looks like this one , it is a K=Series engine with points and coil. Another great engine.

DSCN0133.JPG