mrc

odd tranny leak

mrc

hi all,

i have an oddball type leak on an 8 speed tranny.  i placed the tractor on jackstands.  i removed the wheels and power washed the tranny.  you could almost eat off the tranny at that point.  i started the tractor and with the hubs spinning i thought the brake shaft seal was leaking so i changed that seal. nope.   the leak is coming thru a 'plug' just to the left of the brake shaft.  the 'plug' seems to be like a freeze plug in the case of the tranny.  this 'plug' is just under the tab where the brake band bolts onto the tranny.  i have never seen this before and do not know how to proceed.  any help is appreciated

thank you

mike

ri702bill

Mike - that is a thin steel closing plug - they do rot out - either from the inside, or the outside. Perhaps @stevasaurus can shed some light on removal & replacement...

stevasaurus

OK...you say it is an 8 speed, that tells me the brake shaft is on the cluster gear shaft.  What you call a plug is actually a capped bearing on the end of your mushroom gear.  Sorry, but if that is what is leaking, you will have to open the trans and change out the capped bearing.  I show the bearing to be 1" x 1 1/4" x 3/4" which is Wheel Horse #1532 that crosses to Torington #M-16121.  It is #00090903 in Motion Industries catalog.  Our vendors, Auto Zone, or any auto place should be able to order it.  When and if you go to replace it, you will have to drop and open the trans.  The bearing is probably bad or suspect at this point.  You need to tap it out from the inside and then tap the new bearing in to flush with the outside.  What horse are we talking about??  :bow-blue:

When you say left of the drain plug...is it the hole closest to the axle housing or the hole toward the front of the trans??  If it is the hole toward the front...cluster gear...the closed bearing is WH #1529 which equates to Torington #M12121.

mrc

here are a couple pics.  i'm looking at it and i think it is on the shaft that has the drive belt pulley on the other side of the tranny

20241017_172245.jpg

20241017_172231.jpg

Edited by mrc

mrc

it is a c161

stevasaurus

That is your input bearing shaft...you still have to open the trans to replace it.  That is a 5/8 x 13/16 x 3/4  WH#1531  Torington #M-10121.

Thank you fior the picture...the information in this post is correct.  

• Like 1

mrc

ok thank you

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Your trans is probably a #5091...I have videos of opening that one up.  :orcs-cheers:  Not a big deal, if the hubs and pullies come off easily.

mrc

steve,  i know you are the manual tranny guru of RS.   i just do not understand how changing the bearing will stop the leak.  there must be a seal outboard of the bearing???  once i split the cases what else am i in for?

Lagersolut
3 hours ago, mrc said:

steve,  i know you are the manual tranny guru of RS.   i just do not understand how changing the bearing will stop the leak.  there must be a seal outboard of the bearing???  once i split the cases what else am i in for?

It’s a closed cup needle bearing - from what I see it shows rust - the  cup probably rusted through - you have a pin hole on the facing of the bearing  cup . 

Edited by Lagersolut