ClassicTractorProfessor

Strange Jalapeños Harvested

ClassicTractorProfessor

Hoping maybe some of y’all have seen this before. We planted a couple jalapeño plants this year. First peppers we picked were a decent size and had great flavor, but now both of our plants are loaded with these little guys. We cut this one open last night and it smelled more like a bell pepper than a jalapeño. I got brave enough to finally take a bite of it, had a little bit of kick to it but not nearly as hot as the ones we picked earlier in the year. Almost tasted like a spicy bell pepper, but that could be my imagination since it also smelled like one. 

We do have some bells planted as well, about 30 feet from the jalapeño plants, could this possibly be a result of cross pollination between the two? We’ve grown them the same way for several years now and have never had anything like this before

IMG_4021.jpeg

• Confused 1

Pullstart

@Achto has had some peppergate in recent years, as he calls it.  Plant what you want, eat what you get :lol:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horsin'round
17 minutes ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

could this possibly be a result of cross pollination between the two?

Don't be surprised when your bell peppers have some heat.

• Haha 1

Achto
35 minutes ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

could this possibly be a result of cross pollination between the two

Usually cross pollination effects the seeds from the fruit, there in effecting the plants that these seed will grow. The fruit its self should not be effected. I grow my Jalapenos, bells, poblano, cayenne & habanero all in close proximity with no taste or heat change in their fruit.

Your peppers may have suffered from some type of climate or nutrient issue. Over loading of peppers on the plant may have also been an issue although I have not had that be an issue in the past.

• Like 5