Wheelhorse#1

C-101 engine swap

Wheelhorse#1

I have a C-101 recently purchased that has a 241 10hp in it.

I was able to get it running but unfortunately it’s worn out ,tons of smoke and knocks at higher rpm’s .

Instead of rebuilding it I’m planning on dropping a older rebuilt K301 Gen start into it.

I sort of half arsed measured it ,looks close but may fit .

Was wondering,Has Anyone done something similar ? 

IMG_8955.jpeg

IMG_8932.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Does the start/gen engine have the regular old solid base plate? There should still be holes in the frame that would line up to the two needed and the other two would of course go up through the frame into the engine base.

I've never tried this myself. I think if you get the voltage regulator off the firewall of the tractor... you're not going to need it anyway... you should have adequate space.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Does the start/gen engine have the regular old solid base plate? There should still be holes in the frame that would line up to the two needed and the other two would of course go up through the frame into the engine base.

I've never tried this myself. I think if you get the voltage regulator off the firewall of the tractor... you're not going to need it anyway... you should have adequate space.

Yes that's what I was thinking .I will have the check the oil pan base and see if it has the two blind holes on one side that are threaded through the pan.

I would also have to rewire and get a different ignition switch also, I think ? Thx 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Wheelhorse#1 said:

Yes that's what I was thinking .I will have the check the oil pan base and see if it has the two blind holes on one side that are threaded through the pan.

I would also have to rewire and get a different ignition switch also, I think ? Thx 

If the old engine and replacement engine both had points ignition then your wiring changes will be minimal.  

There's a thread that shows the S/G engines using a solenoid.  I believe if you follow that it MIGHT work. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

Thanks @ebinmaine very helpful.

• Like 3

Wheelhorse#1

Well, last couple days I spent working on the engine swap for the C-101

The pan on the old gen start k301 didn’t have the correct pan with the blind holes under the pan needed to attach to the frame but I had a spare parts motor a k321 that had the correct pan :greetings-clappingyellow: so just a matter of swapping them out.

Today I dropped the engine and it fits great.Looks like  room for the original Nelson exhaust too.

Thanks for the tip on the pan @ebinmaine I most certainly would of done twice the work. I didn’t think of that in hindsight at all.

Now the  plan is to tear it all back down ,strip and paint it and what ever els needs doing over the winter.

A couple pic 

IMG_8970.jpeg

IMG_8969.jpeg

IMG_8972.jpeg

IMG_8965.jpeg

Edited by Wheelhorse#1
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

kpinnc
On 10/16/2024 at 1:38 PM, Wheelhorse#1 said:

The pan on the old gen start k301 didn’t have the correct pan with the blind holes under the pan needed to attach to the frame but I had a spare parts motor a k321 that had the correct pan :greetings-clappingyellow: so just a matter of swapping them out.

Now that you have the old pan removed, it is simple to drill and tap as wheel horse did their pans. You need a drill press and a 3/8 x 16 tap, and a 1/8 and a 5/16 drill bit. 

1. From the top of the pan, drill the bottom of the two existing holes (PTO side) all the way through with a 1/8 drill bit. The original drilled/ tapped holes will have a chamfer in the bottom that center the bit. 

2. Flip the pan over and drill the 1/8 holes with a 5/16 bit using the smaller holes to center the 5/16 bit. Stop as soon as the bit stops removing material. 

3. Flip the pan again and thread the tap into the existing threads. When you reach the bottom of the original threads you will begin to cut new threads all the way through and keep them continuous. 

Now you have a pan ready for the next time. :thumbs:

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1