BBQVultureWings

257-H No Forward or Reverse

BBQVultureWings

So, today I finally got to where I could & very much need to get this !989 257-H ( Number Plate reads:  2217KE02     45561 ) under way. Hooked up a battery to it & starter was not cooperating. Tore the starter all apart. cleaned the Comutator, brushes & about 30 years worth of snot, dust & grime from the spiral splines.... got things moving freely again & well it took right off like it should. Starts & runs like a top. Bigest problem is no Forward or reverse.... started to take things apart to inverstigate & ran out of daylight....I Noticed the fan for the Transmission is jammed up against the right side of the frame ... I wonder if this got hit by something bigger than the tractor or it may have taken a fall off a trailer or truck tail gate or maybe even rolled over. I doubt the roll over because i woud expect more damages to be apparent.... who knows...? I have heard there is an easy fix fir the Hydrostatic Transmissions but I forget where I read it... The Keys for both axels are in their keyways & the left wheel is hangin' on for dear life so gonna rig up a pulling bracket in the morning to remove the wheel. the right came off no problem but thrre's always 1 that has to be a challenge aint there? I atatched a picture of the fan up against the frame it is not the best photograhpy  but I really thiMk it needs to move back about 3/8 of an inch to move freely.... more tomorrow

Resized_20241001_215233 - Copy.jpeg

Resized_20241001_215240 - Copy.jpeg

953 nut

The fan is attached to the transmission input shaft, if it won't turn the transmission isn't going to go forward or backward.

7 hours ago, BBQVultureWings said:

the fan for the Transmission is jammed up against the right side of the frame ... I wonder if this got hit by something bigger than the tractor or it may have taken a fall off a trailer or truck tail gate or maybe even rolled over. I doubt the roll over because i woud expect more damages to be apparent.... who knows...?

:confusion-confused:            Tell us a bit more, what is and isn't bent?

BBQVultureWings

well..... nothing looks bent. 1 thing for sure is the U bolt for the left side axle tube is definitely Not the original. i loosened the nuts on both sides a bit & nudged the Transmission over to the left a bit ( about 1/4 inch to give the fan some clearance. Now the right axle will spin but not the left. I don't Know SHEE-IT about Hydrostatic Drives. I assume it is not getting fluid to that side or it is low or obstructed or all of the above.... Checked the big clear plastic resivior & it is full but its old dirty oil in there So i thiMk changing the fluid would be a good start. The Tractor came with a Spare transmission, a mower deck, a snowblower atatchment & all the brackets n belts to run it. So given the amount of stuck the left wheel has in it's little heart.... I am thiMking I will reove the transmission & Take it to my friends place where I have access to a larger Hydraulic press for such situations...While I have it out I might as well drain it, clean it, flush it out good & maybe even rebuild 1 of them for now so I have a place to start from.... when I have time I can rebuild the other....  I wonder now if  it got hit on the left side & broke the U bolt & probably damaged the transmission.... pure speculation but it would certainly explain some things.... Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.. 

Thank You All. Be back later

BBQVultureWings

So, upon further inspection, The left rear side of the frame is pushed in a little (1/4"-3/8") so I do belive there has been some collision or other impact. I definitely need a new fan for the transmission, a new Drive belt wouldn't hurt either. I understrand that this is a 35 year old machine. That means lots of things need attention. Belts, maybe a few pulleys, some wiring as the headlights don't work. fluids, tires the basic old age woes of this sort of thing .... I decided to pull the transmission so I can take it to to my friend's place where he has a large press to get the left rerar wheel off as I will be purchasing new tires. I prefer to have things in workable order so when I need to take a wheel off for whatever reason, it is not a major, miserable, monumental event... 

So while I have it off, I will be rebuilding it. I have a very significantly steep driveway & I need a machine that is in good to peak condition ready to go, not 1 that just barley makes it.

more tomorrow I'm tired n my hair hurts

• Like 1

BBQVultureWings

drained the transmission....off to my friends place ... may the (Hydraulic ) Force be with MooWah...

After much Cussin' n Discussin', We will be fighting with this tomorrow evening.... hopefully good news then....

BBQVultureWings

Looks like it is gonna be torch action to remove this wheel. The whole assembly will Not fit in the press so we tried fabricating a puller with 3/4" plate steel & even threaded the center hole same as any puller would operate. The bolts started to deform the rim. there's a ton of pressure loaded onto this thing so time for more drastic measures. After plenty of Cussin' n discussion, It is gonna be the cutting torch. may have to destroy this rim but it isn't like we can't get a new 1. Hopefully I will be under way with the next steps of this project Monday evening. I am looking for wheel weights if anyone knows where I might find some really cool inner & outer weights for the 12 inch rims....