EchoBravo

Bungie cord got wrapped around the axle, now I need to change the seal.

EchoBravo

My apologies because I know there are a million axle seal threads.  This is on my 520h with eaton 1100.

I got the hub off easy enough.  The trouble is now I do not know exactly what I am looking at.  Below is a pic.  Is the red arrow pointed at the metal outside of the seal?  I assume the green arrow is pointing the rubber bungie cord that got wrapped around the axle and got pushed under the seal, thus ruining it.  How do I go about removing it?  I started picking on it, but can't make any progress and now I am worried I will mar the surface and ruin everything. Any help removing the seal will be greatly appreciated.  

695915590_Screenshotfrom2024-09-1920-28-01.png.8e406f951e24afb425f97a2c518a95b8.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, EchoBravo said:

red arrow pointed at the metal outside of the seal? 

Yes. 

14 minutes ago, EchoBravo said:

How do I go about removing it?

I use a long thin 1/4" wide flat screwdriver 🪛  to purposefully dent in and destroy the seal. 

Use care of course to avoid scratching the axle but it's unlikely you would. 

After creating several dented in areas the seal will spin on the axle shaft. 

Just pop it right off.  

• Like 2

EchoBravo

Thanks for the tip.  I already started destroying it, so I am on the right track.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't picking on the bearing. 

• Like 2

953 nut

I do about the same as @ebinmaine only I use a scratch awl to pernitrate the metal ring near the axle housing then pry it out. Just be careful to avoid going in too deep and damaging the bearing.

• Like 1

EchoBravo
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Just be careful to avoid going in too deep and damaging the bearing.

Thats what I am worried about now.  I was gorillaing it a little bit last night when I was getting frustrated.  

peter lena

@EchoBravo  you are way ahead of most , with the hub removal , usually rust frozen in place , https://www.google.com/search?q=packing+puller&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=packing+puller+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQABiABDIGCAIQRRhAMgcIAxAAGIAEMggIBBAAGBYYHjIICAUQABgWGB4yCAgGEAAYFhgeMggIBxAAGBYYHtIBCDY5MTFqMGo0qAIAsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#vhid=LKON2YWI-And-M&vssid=l  a packing puller will make quick / easy work of  a side wall seal . tiny hole in seal sidewall , screw in puller , pull out and replace . you might even pick up a seal #  , would also get some penetrating oil , on the other side hub , just in case , remove the set screw , for a penetrant  entry point . that seal is is on the very outside of  mounting point , just go easy on removal  procedure . puller make this an easy removal , try harbour freight  ,pete

squonk

I drill a small hole in the metal of the seal on both sides and thread in a small sheet metal screw. Then I get out my small Harbor Freight slide hammer with a hook attachment that grabs the screws and pulls out the seal.

IMG_20240708_172128619.jpg.f84fffc1d3e56cd43464e92035795283.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??

Same thing happen to me but with a steel cable when pulling stumps. i doubt you would wreck the bearing unless you pounded on it really hard which there is no need for. 

There should have been a thrust washer that goes behind the hub make sure that goes back in. Also don't forget to tape the keyway to avoid nicking the new seal. Most of us use a short pvc pipe of appropriate diameter to seat the seal. 

Use new set screws if possible & recheck them for tightness after a couple hours of operation. 

New  seals can be had here.

Seals Archives - Wheel Horse Parts and More

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

lynnmor

There should be a plastic washer behind each hub.  Be sure to install new seal about 1/32" inside the housing so the thrust washer does not wear on it.  Toro part number 106826.

toro106826washerthrustoriginaloempart__53780.jpg.bd75ce5a576d3658c1aa4fd8ccbc04f6.jpg

WHX??
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Toro part number 106826.

Which they can be quite proud of...couple of bucks for a nylon one in the Hillman drawers any better ACE. 1 1/8 id 

20190312_173500.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@WHX??  love those pull out drawers , lots of help there , pete

• Like 1

WHX??
9 minutes ago, peter lena said:

love those pull out drawers

Absolutely Pete... bigger stores can have many.