adsm08

Durn Dog

adsm08

So we have 3 dogs. A 13 year old lab, and two beagles, one is a little over 18 months, the other not quite a year.

We also have latching baby gates to keep the beagles (mostly the younger one) contained in certain places, essentially to keep them in the room we are in.

So I am sitting here in the living room watching Star Trek with my son, with the dogs in the room, and the gate to the kitchen closed and latched.

Then the youngest dog hops off the couch, walks over to the gate at the kitchen door, unlatches and opens it, and walks out into the kitchen.

• Haha 8

oliver2-44

I’d say Beagles are a very smart breed, but that younger one is slacking.    He forgot to close and latch the gate 

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 7

adsm08
2 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I’d say Beagles are a very smart breed, but that younger one is slacking.    He forgot to close and latch the gate 

I'm not used to smart dogs. My last one was dumb as a box of rocks.

If I didn't want him in a room all I had to do was lay a broom down on the floor across the door way. He was a good dog, but so dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

ebinmaine

Ours is too dam smart for her own good. 

If we want her to do anything she has to WANT  to...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Pullstart
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Ours is too dam smart for her own good. 

If we want her to do anything she has to WANT  to...

I bet momma BBT taught her that!

• Haha 4

953 nut

A few decades ago I had a pet door in the utility room so my cat could come and go as she wished. My neighbor's beagle had a litter of pups and the cat and pups would play together, that was fun to watch. Then one day all three pups follower her in through the pet door and discovered cat food taste better than dog food. This went on for a few weeks while the pups grew bigger. Soon they were to big to come through the cat sized opening and the three of them would sit outside howling for their buddy to cone out and play with them. 

Once the pups were sold my cat seemed to miss them.

• Heart 3

Horsin'round

Growing up,  our dogs always ran loose.  One day,  we received a visit from a very irate neighbor  - it seems our sheppard mix was helping himself to hotdogs from the grill. When no one was around,  he would just reach up and nic one. Needless to say,  the rules changed abruptly. 

• Like 3

Achto

Our Pomeranian, who is usually not very vocal kept coming in the living room barking her head off. Then she would go in the kitchen & bark, back & forth. Took her out side, thinking she had to go. Brought her back in the house and she started all over again. This went on until I decided to make something for supper, turned the burner on for the stove to find it would not light. Relit the pilot on the stove, Sophie stopped barking & laid down in her bed in the living room. Now when we can't figure out why she is barking, we check the pilot light on the stove.:)

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

Now when we can't figure out why she is barking, we check the pilot light on the stove.

Dogs have roughly forty times more smell-sensitive receptors than humans, right?

Heck, when I was a kid, Lassie could smell when her owner fell down a well!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

PWL216
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Heck, when I was a kid, Lassie could smell when her owner fell down a well!

“What’s wrong boy? Timmy fell in the well! Over by Old Beaver Creek Road! He said bring a rope and a sandwich!” Good boy.

Edited by PWL216
  • Haha 1