kwalshy

Hot Wire/Knife Foam Cutter

kwalshy

I started to insulate my pole barn with 2" polystyrene sheets.  Some might ask why not fiberglass?   The answer:  Price - I am able to buy 4' x 8' x 2" R-10 sheets from a local factory, hence saving myself $ vs buying rolls of fiberglass.   Cutting the boards with a hand saw is easy, but I am not enjoying the mess.  So I am in the market for a 'hot knife' or 'hot wire cutter'. 

Anyone have any experience or suggestions on a make/model they recommend?  

Thanks.

JimSraj

Table saw works great especially with dust collection. Great stuff the edges for a good seal

Edited by JimSraj
  • Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, kwalshy said:

experience or suggestions

Contractor I watched used a long razor knife. Scored and broke over a rail clamped to sawhorses (a la sheetrock) for long straight cuts.

He had a Milwaukee M12 (battery) Hackzall with a narrow metal-cutting blade for the details and curves so yes, some mess there but surprisingly little and he could plunge cut with it. He wore a N95 to avoid inhaling dust.

He was using construction adhesive (in a battery-powered gun) to mount and between panels.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

kwalshy
1 hour ago, JimSraj said:

Table saw works great especially with dust collection. Great stuff the edges for a good seal

Unfortunately, my homeowner grade/box store table saw doesn't have dust collection.  I'm sure I could make one with my shop vac

953 nut

rjg854

Like Handy Don said,  a long razor knife and a T square was all I ever used when working with 2" foam and then snap it off.  No mess really at all.  As long as you can make 90* cuts with the knife you should be good to go.  Using a table saw or a circular saw tends to melt the foam and it sticks to the blade, making a mess like you mentioned.  A Milwaukee hackzall works great for any cuts that aren't straight.

• Like 3

WHX??
On 9/18/2024 at 11:49 AM, kwalshy said:

Some might ask why not fiberglass?   The answer:

Is mice... they can destroy fiberglass and make a real mess. they generally don't like foam in my neck of the woods anyway. 

Give any thought to spray foam or too $$$ ? 

kwalshy
16 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Is mice... they can destroy fiberglass and make a real mess. they generally don't like foam in my neck of the woods anyway. 

Give any thought to spray foam or too $$$ ? 

Yeah, mice was also a factor.  I did think about spray foam, closed cell, so  I put up house wrap around entire perimeter prior to sheet metal went up.

And you are correct, the costs for spray foam I have been quoted thus far are $$$

Edited by kwalshy