rmaynard

iPhone vs. Android

MainelyWheelhorse
On 9/11/2024 at 3:40 PM, Handy Don said:

Disclosure: been using iPhones since I had to buy my own -- 11 years (my employer took back their Blackberry when I left).

I agree completely with @TractorEd that all-Apple or all-Android is the only way to have the best collaboration across all mediums.

I'll add that if you expect tech support from your relatives, go with what they have and if splashing out some extra cash means not buying another tractor, well, it’s easier to store a phone than a tractor.

BTW, one can easily get “not the latest” iPhones from online vendors and off the ‘bay or CL (with caution). I’d go no older than a 10 or 11, though, or the more recent SE. Apple support (via the Genius Bar at Apple Stores) is quite handy as are regular security updates from Apple. Not all Android vendors support older models or provide regular software updates for them for more than a few years.

I agree, as well. The security updates and new OS can also be accessed through your settings widget. I have an iPad Pro second gen that is 7 years old and still gets security and current OS updates. My second gen SE new was not jaw dropping expensive for an Apple product and I've had no issues.

rmaynard

At this point, from responses received so far, I am inclined to stick with Android. If money was no issue, I'd give Apple a try, but dollar for dollar, the Motorola Edge+ 2023 has everything I need in a package that costs under $499.00. And that is $200 more than I have ever spent on a phone.

davem1111

I'll add my :twocents-02cents: - I agree with everything I've read in this thread. We are an iPhone family, except for my oldest son, who is a bit of a rebel, but he doesn't like doing Facetime or texting much. He likes Instagram and we can look at that on the computers or on our iPhones. Otherwise, it's nice that we have all the Apple compatibility features.  My wife uses a Macbook, and I have both Windows & Macbook (several of each, since I'm an IT guy). But we also aren't on the bleeding edge. Wife has an iPhone 11, I have a 12, younger son has the newer SE. I won't pay the cost of a decent used car (or at least, what you used to be able to get a decent used car for), for a top-of-line device that I could easily kill by stepping on it or running over it with the car or tractor.... (I ran one through a brush hog once years ago - what a mess that was....). However, I have taken advantage of the carrier's deals where I pay a little over time for the phone, and I use Visible which is on Verizon but much less expensive, so the monthly bill is still quite reasonable even paying for 2 phones over time.. We are still quite happy with these models and see no reason to upgrade.  I had the whole AppleCare protection on it also, just in case, and maybe I still do - will probably keep that for a while longer because I don't want to pay to replace this one if something happens.

I may have mentioned this before, but about 4-5+ years ago I was picking up broken iPhone 6 & 7s really cheap (mostly cracked screens) and fixing them, and reselling them. I still have a pile of those, but since Apple cut off the code updates they are not very desirable. But... still usable. If it weren't for that, I could easily go back to one of those and be reasonably happy with it.  Bottom line is, it depends on how you use it and what features you want. If it wasn't for the "whole family on iPhone" thing, I could be happy with Android again also, which I stopped using about 8 years ago.

rmaynard
3 hours ago, davem1111 said:

If it wasn't for the "whole family on iPhone" thing, I could be happy with Android again also, which I stopped using about 8 years ago.

Other than my wife and I, my whole family is on iPhones. I guess when they all have 6-figure incomes, the cost of the phone is not a problem. To that end, I have no problem communicating via voice, text, or email with them.  I don't know why anyone needs to, or for that matter, wants to see my face when talking to me.

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell

My kids never answer a phone call, so I just text 911.   The usually call me.

rmaynard

My daughter texts looking for my wife. No response she texts me.  No response she calls the house phone. I'm therefore running to answer the phone, just miss it, call her back and  NO ANSWER. :angry-screaming:

• Haha 1

davem1111
5 hours ago, rmaynard said:

My daughter texts looking for my wife. No response she texts me.  No response she calls the house phone. I'm therefore running to answer the phone, just miss it, call her back and  NO ANSWER. :angry-screaming:

Yeah, the young-uns be that way sometimes. Same with most of mine.

adsm08
On 9/13/2024 at 5:03 PM, rmaynard said:

At least you try Bob.

If I need something from my dad, especially after 6:00, I'll text my mom because he will take 3 days to even look at his phone to see why it made a noise, she is as bad as a teenager with hers, and there is a 90% chance she is sitting within 15 feet of him. However I often get the response "Text your dad".

ClassicTractorProfessor

I have used both, and prefer the iPhone over any Android device I’ve ever used. While the latest greatest ones are expensive, the older models are usually pretty fairly priced, or you can go with a good used one, I bought the 14 Pro Max I’m typing this on from a friend of mine last year at tax time when she upgraded, think I paid $400 for it. 

My recommendation is to go with what everyone in your circle is using for seamless connectivity among everyone. My whole family uses Apple devices, so we have no issues. However, Courtney’s family all use Android devices, they have no issues among themselves, but we have ran into issues with texts and pictures not going through properly between my phone and any of theirs. 

One of the things I hate the most is maps between the two. We frequently use pin drops at work, both for the wrecker and the service truck. All three of us in the shop as well as the boss use iPhones, we can send a pin drop to each other and it will take us right to where we need to be. But our secretary who is a die hard Android user (even refused to use an iPhone if it was company issued) can send one of us a pin drop or we send one to her and when we open it it might send us 15 miles away from where we need to be. More than once she’s gotten a pin drop from a customer needing a tow and sent the pin to me. I get to where it takes me and no vehicle, come to find out I was 15-20 miles in the wrong direction 

rmaynard

I want to thank everyone for their valued opinions. It has been a learning experience. The three most important things I have learned are...

1. If money is no object, iPhone wins.

2. If money is no object, iPhone wins.

3. If money is no object, iPhone wins.

So, for that reason, I have decided to stay with Android. There has to be a reason that world-wide Android is a 70% to 30% sales leader over iPhone.

I have purchased a Motorola Edge Plus. Price $499.00. Granted, I did get some discount.

I defy anyone to show me a current iPhone that has the features of the Edge+ for under $499.00.

If Motorola can make this phone and sell it for a reasonable price, there is no reason Apple can't do the same.

Thanks guys. It's been fun.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don

Buyer and seller are both satisfied. Good sale.

Moderate soapbox rant ahead. :rolleyes:

As a parting comment, in case you are interested...

1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

If Motorola can make this phone and sell it for a reasonable price, there is no reason Apple can't do the same.

Android attractions...

- Google has made the core Android OS practically free, partly with the goal of huge market share. Write my own or buy cheap? No brainer for most phone makers.

- Android OS has fewer “core standards” so it accommodates being modified to some degree by each phone manufacturer for optimal operation of their specific hardware and use case. This lets each manufacture showcase their own unique hardware and software extension offerings. Can differentiate on hardware at low risk? No brainer.

- Google supports the Google Play Store for over-the-air distribution of software at very low cost to app providers. Let other people invest their money to make software for my phone? Sure!

BUT...

- Manufacturer added OS distinctions cause reduced interoperability across manufacturers and even, at times, within the same manufacturer’s product line. Apple’s iOS is used across their phone line and accommodates each device’s unique capabilities.

- It is common for Android devices to be supported by their manufacturers for security and other software updates for only two or three years after introduction, putting those devices at risk of virus and other compromises for long-term users. Software engineers cost money and don’t most people buy a new phone every two or three years anyway? Apple typically supports phones for eight years.

- Android has high market penetration, but no one phone maker sells more phones than Apple

- No maker comes even remotely close to Apple's degree of integration across phones, tablets, watches, laptops, and desktops running individually and via cloud interaction for sharing and securing content and interactions.

- Google by default taps into a LOT of valuable usage data from Android users (yes, a savvy user can stem that flow, but how many do?); Apple defaults to NOT monitoring and its standards for blocking security and data scraping by apps in its App Store are higher (though not perfect, for sure).

NET...

iPhone buyers are choosing to not just buy a phone, but to engage an ecosystem--and that extra stuff is reflected in the price.

rjg854
31 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

iPhone buyers are choosing to not just buy a phone, but to engage an ecosystem--and that extra stuff is reflected in the price.

But I don't need an ecosystem :ROTF:  

As long as I can call, text and use the Internet, that's good enough. And my 2 Google 7a phones cost nothing with my Verizon service.  And it costs me less than I was paying StraightTalk.

Handy Don
32 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

But I don't need an ecosystem

Yep. That suits a lot of folks and “good on ‘ya!"

Only pointing out that Bob’s pricing point was an incomplete picture--and why.

rmaynard

I feel sorry for all the iPhone users who have bought into the hype. Just like the folks hooked on Starbucks. 

I can't afford to drink Starbucks just as I can't afford an iPhone. 

But I can drink a nice generic cup of coffee while doing everything I need to do on my Android, and I have a lot more money in my pocket. 

Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2