rustyedge1

Little Help Kohler K-341 16hp

rustyedge1

Info needed.

Going to put a oil drain on this engine next oil change and don't really know what I need to start. Trying to get parts ready before time.

I don't know what size the existing plug is ( see photo ) 3/8" 1/4" ? Getting tired of taking the deck down every time I change oil. Any input welcome.

Thanks in advance...

26E01DF6-039D-4199-9202-059AA45E3C4B_1_201_a.jpeg

83FAD065-95B0-4BDE-ACB4-4CF12565DB45_1_201_a.jpeg

squonk
Posted (edited)

8ntruck

My 14-8 has an iron elbow at the block then a pipe long enough to get outside the frame with a cap.

• Like 1

Racinbob
Posted (edited)

All my tractors have either a Fumoto or EZ Drain valve. This one is a Fumoto.  A piece of plastic tubing into a jug makes for clean draining. Most are 3/8" NPT.

2095671102_OilDrain.jpg.4a2f3856d49ac7edd46c4a8d03aa3fba.jpg

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

rustyedge1
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

All my tractors have either a Fumoto or EZ Drain valve. This one is a Fumoto.  A piece of plastic tubing into a jug makes for clean draining. Most are 3/8" NPT.

3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

My 14-8 has an iron elbow at the block then a pipe long enough to get outside the frame with a cap.

That's the way my other WH are but with the limited space at the block i'm not sure what I will be able to get an elbow screwed in.

Racinbob
13 minutes ago, rustyedge1 said:

That's the way my other WH are but with the limited space at the block i'm not sure what I will be able to get an elbow screwed in.

There are different styles of 90° fittings. Some of them, especially brass, will fit in tighter spaces. You may have to lift the engine a little bit to spin it on. I've never seen one yet where it can't be done. Whatever it takes it's worth the effort. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@Racinbob agree with you on the oil change  modification , most of my changes / modifications , on any , REPEDITIVE  PROBLEM ,  is based on  eliminating it , often refer to a  roller stool look see , as to making it better , very often its a simple detailing of function , that gets it done . good talking , pete 

rustyedge1

Looks as if Ace may have the parts...

DC857B83-F2FC-4773-95E6-BF0AB8B6C9E0.png

8ntruck
8 hours ago, rustyedge1 said:

It might be a street elbow.  Those are a bit shorter than a regular elbow.

• Excellent 1

rustyedge1
4 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

It might be a street elbow.  Those are a bit shorter than a regular elbow.

That's what I decided to go with..

• Like 1

rustyedge1

Turns out the Ace at my location doesn't stock anymore. Found another supplier AGS Co. out of MI I think. Ace wanted 9.00 bucks,C0FD09B9-7805-4EF4-9DA2-45F1B78520F9_1_201_a.jpeg.eff058e9ec1639b274d8d6a759012b76.jpeg AGS had them for little over 2.00 I got two at that cost plus shipped UPS free. Have under 5.00 bucks in the pair. Just thought i'd pass the info on. Now to the EZ drain valve....

0C310C63-BE4F-41D2-9E98-97586D53430A_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3

rustyedge1

Decided to go with the Fumoto, found a site which had them for 33.99 no tax shipped. https://industrialtecsupply.com/ 

Going all brass, should there be a thread sealant used and if so what would be recommended ?

Thanks for all the input....

Edited by rustyedge1

Racinbob

Excellent. I prefer the Fumoto. I've had the EZ Drains seep a little. :)

• Thanks 1

rustyedge1

All is ready for next oil change. Think I’m going to like this set up. 

FB904F0A-664F-4207-82E3-CFA6149055E0.jpeg

• Like 3

WHX??

Any quality pipe dope or tape will do. Like penetrating oil everyone has their favorites. 

• Like 2

rustyedge1

Glad I bought both 6" and 5" nipples the 6" puts you too far out and bumps the clutch peddle arm after assembled, the 5" in my opinion is just right.

52F901BD-75C8-49F6-973A-7CB68B2B1E88_1_201_a.jpeg

30BC4C4D-5ADF-446B-8520-960047EB9F60_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 3