WheelHorseVH

Hydro leak?

WheelHorseVH

Hi guys. 520H, noticed right side has caked on oil. Nothing on the left. Any ideas what to chase down? Thank you. 

IMG_3193.jpeg

pfrederi

clean it off and watch to be sure.... but 95% certain axle seal....

• Like 1

cleat
Posted (edited)

Looks like a leaking axle seal to me.

Not too bad a job if the hub comes off easily.

Since it has been getting soaked with oil it may slide off easier.

Edited by cleat
  • Like 2

lynnmor
Posted (edited)

Be sure to jack it up and check the axle bearing for play, there should be next to nothing up & down and left to right,  in and out play isn't a problem.  I too, think the seal is spent.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Like 1

squonk
1 hour ago, WheelHorseVH said:

Hi guys. 520H, noticed right side has caked on oil. Nothing on the left. Any ideas what to chase down? Thank you. 

IMG_3193.jpeg

I believe the fan pulls the air from that side of the tractor. Axle seal leak will coat everything because of it. Whilst your replacing the seal, it may be a good idea to remove the fender pan and really clean the trans cooling fins good. 

• Like 1

lynnmor

I buy the 6449 seals on the popular auction site.  With luck they can be pryed out and then use the hub as a slide hammer to push them back in.  On a 520H the seal should be recessed a bit to keep the plastic spacer from wearing against them, a washer that fits can work to beat it back in 1/32".

WheelHorseVH

Thank you all, gents, I really appreciate the kind and quick help as always.

@lynnmorI would never have looked on the auction site if you hadn’t said that, I would have figured it would be cheap garbage. I will look and order it tonight.

Going to also start searching for instructions on pulling the hub, if anyone has a good forum link handy please let me know so I am not asking for a retype of instructions. I saw one where @ebinmaine used a special puller but I don’t have that or any welding skills (still/yet). Perhaps @cleat will be right and I get lucky that its coated in enough hydro fluid that it doesn’t need much convincing.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I didn't design or build this puller but I believe you'd be welcome to copy the ideas. 

20240803_090411.jpg.e2799a2e27444d7cfc26d49b6f2301ff.jpg

20240803_090233.jpg.465128b239c4784d1dc1ac449f78e888.jpg

There's also good pics by @953 nut somewhere. 

• Like 1