Lagersolut

How often do you change transmission oil

Lagersolut

My tractors are garage kept - I was always taught if the gear oil has no water and a good color you're good - so my transmission oil stays in for quite a few years . All my units are 8 speeds - I know stored in a unheated shed or barn with a wide range of temp fluctuations could draw condensation without water going through a worn shifter boot

Thoughts

JCM

:popcorn:

Ed Kennell

IMO, gear oil with no additives has a long life if it is clean.   If you have any indication it may have been contaminated with water or metal chips from a noisy bearing or gear. drain , flush, and refill.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH
Posted (edited)

:text-yeahthat:

Thats how I do it... check routinely and change only if visually cloudy due to water...

My machines get maybe 10-15 hours / year max. Garage kept. Never run in the rain. 

Ain't flying fighter jets...

:twocents-twocents:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1

Lagersolut
12 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

IMO, gear oil with no additives has a long life if it is clean.   If you have any indication it may have been contaminated with water or metal chips from a noisy bearing or gear. drain , flush, and refill.

I pull my dipsticks to check level and color - my 315 has the same factory oil in it - 19 years - color always looks good like it just came out it’ll the bottle - my 416 going on 5 since being rebuilt - I’m fishing around to see if anyone has a general consensus if and when the gear oil should be dropped and changed ….:icecream:

• Like 1

peter lena

@Lagersolut  regularly pull my dip sticks , clean and full , once eliminating shift boot issues , mine have been , years since drainage , have had axel seals fail , that makes for a fluid change , my shift boots all have a chassis grease INSIDE  the lower edge allowing it to effortlessly slide over the irregularities on the sop of the trans , another detail for longer life , is to put a TYE WRAP , JUST ABOVE a  full fit of the boot , have had zero problems , also regularly look things over for any problems . since going to LUCAS climbing gear lube , no noise or shifting issues at all . have a regular tank top off , inspection , check trans , STABIL FUEL ADDITIVE  , check engine oil , maybe something  itself , plan on a  modification fix . never put it back  to fail as it was . pete 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

8-10 years  Think 8 was in a WH publication

My L-107 that  father bought in may 1967 is still doing just fine in weekly service running  on 40 wt motor oil changed a couple three  times...but she has probably  only been outside over night  2-3 times in 57 years and never in the rain

• Excellent 3

ri702bill
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Lagersolut said:

see if anyone has a general consensus if and when the gear oil should be dropped and changed

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless a leak or mechanical noise dictates draining & dis-assembly, if it is clean & JUST oil, run it. A mess of milky oil means it is contaminated with water, time to drain, flush, new boot and a drain & refill. :twocents-02cents:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

I've recently learned that ENGINE oil should NEVER be more than 5 years old because of the anti foaming agents falling out of suspension. 

I'd be prone to following the same rule for gear oil. 

• Like 1

lynnmor
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've recently learned that ENGINE oil should NEVER be more than 5 years old because of the anti foaming agents falling out of suspension. 

I'd be prone to following the same rule for gear oil. 

Here is video addresses the old oil topic.  I was surprised at how much effect time had on motor oil and especially gear oil.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Here is video addresses the old oil topic.  I was surprised at how much effect time had on motor oil and especially gear oil.

Thanks for posting that. 

Everyone that maintains a machine should watch it. 

Very enlightening. 

Air (foam) is NOT a lubricant. 

• Like 3

Lagersolut

I have quarts of Lucas 80/90 gear oil left over from doing the Troy Built horse last year - gonna tilt the front of the 315 up and change it - might do the 416 too since I was inside it 4-5 years ago to fix a ticking that turned out to be a faulty gear - 315  has little over 600 hours on it

• Like 2

Wild Bill 633
On 8/24/2024 at 1:56 PM, peter lena said:

since going to LUCAS climbing gear lube

What Lucas product are you referring to?

• Like 1

peter lena

@Wild Bill 633https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-10043-80W-90-Heavy-Duty/dp/B0007ZFTOA/ref=asc_df_B0007ZFTOA/?tag=hyprod- climbing oil additives , assist in  spray and fling lubrication , realise this not a space shuttle problem . however since going to lucas gear oil in my 3  horses , they are  very smooth / quiet in operation . regularly check my tractors over after every use , fuel top off , STA BIL  added to my tank  1 oz , check trans oil and engine oil . their greases , have eliminated bearing failure for me , all my roller bearings , with wide rubber side shields , for easy removal , clean out original lube .brake cleaner flush , repack , no noise or whyining , mower deck moves by hand , at PTO down belt to mule drive . my pto lever very easily / smoothly  engages attachments'. just my experience , with repetitive  issue , track it down /  eliminate it . new shift boot , pete