ihatephones

953 Wheel horse kicking out of third gear

ihatephones

My 953 was my grandpas, and he restored it a long, long time ago. The transmission always kicked out of third gear, and I was wondering how to fix it.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

Needs a new third gear. Very common problem.

• Like 3

ri702bill

That is caused by shifting on the fly. Lowell at WheelHorsePartsand More has new reproductions. It does require splitting the case to fix - figure also on the 4 oil seals, case gasket, and a new shifter boot - minimum. Lowell carries all those. Set you back about $200 or so... and 2 quarts of gear oil.

Lowell is in the RS Vendor section.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

AT the top of the transmission section there are list with the bearing and seal numbers for your transmission.  

• Like 2

ihatephones
6 hours ago, ri702bill said:

That is caused by shifting on the fly. Lowell at WheelHorsePartsand More has new reproductions. It does require splitting the case to fix - figure also on the 4 oil seals, case gasket, and a new shifter boot - minimum. Lowell carries all those. Set you back about $200 or so... and 2 quarts of gear oil.

Lowell is in the RS Vendor section.....

Alrighty then, I'll fix it after my trip to WV with some friends, but thanks for the info!

953 nut
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ihatephones said:

Alrighty then, I'll fix it after my trip to WV with some friends, but thanks for the info!

:WRS:

This thread will help you as you cig into the transmission. Yours is a 5045 transaxle but the internals are the same as the 5025, longer axles slightly different differential and bolt up on a 953 are the only differences. All the steps to rebuild it are the same.

Here is a link to Lowell's @wheelhorseman's site.     https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/3523-3rd-gear/

Once you have opened it up and know what you need give lowell a call and he will fix you up.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2

ihatephones
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:

This thread will help you as you cig into the transmission. Yours is a 5045 transaxle but the internals are the same as the 5025, longer axles slightly different differential and bolt up on a 953 are the only differences. All the steps to rebuild it are the same.

Here is a link to Lowell's @wheelhorseman's site.     https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product/3523-3rd-gear/

Once you have opened it up and know what you need give lowell a call and he will fix you up.

Alright thanks for all the help!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1