Toby Stockman

Running 8 speed with no oil

Toby Stockman

can i run an 8 speed with no oil  i had ordered new seals from wheelhorse parts and more but they still have not came after a month and i need to take it to a show in my area wondering if i could drive it around a little bit with no seals or oil. will it damage things badly? can i do it?

ebinmaine

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

1 minute ago, Toby Stockman said:

new seals from wheelhorse parts and more but they still have not came after a month 

Have you called them several times by now??

3 minutes ago, Toby Stockman said:

wondering if i could drive it around a little bit with no seals or oil.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.  

3 minutes ago, Toby Stockman said:

will it damage things badly? 

Operating any machinery without proper lubricant is one of the best and fastest ways to destroy it.

Also, not having the seals in place you are taking a huge chance on introducing foreign matter like dust or sand into the bearings which sit right there on the outside edge.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

If you wanted to bring it to the show really really badly maybe you could trailer it to the location. Push it on and off the trailer. Absolutely minimum movement.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Get the seals from NAPA or Motion Industries, call Lowell and cancel the order.  :(

Eric is correct...do not use it without oil in it.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Toby Stockman

yes called several times no answer i know they are at shows but i check the website for when the are and i can them they should be able to answer i was thinking about going to napa and getting new seals which is what is will do  now Thanks!

• Like 1

squonk

Yup Get them at Napa or any auto parts store. Use the pinned chart for cross over numbers.

• Like 2

rmaynard

Have you removed the old seals? If not, put oil in it and drive it until the new seals arrive, or you buy them elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Toby Stockman

yep already removed and through away weeks ago going to Napa Monday to get new ones

• Excellent 2

adsm08

You could possibly try to rig up some sort of capture/reuse system that catches the oil as it comes out where the seals should be and pumps it back into the filler.

Since you are pumping you can add filtration, and then it shouldn't cause bearing damage.

• Like 2

ri702bill
14 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

You could possibly try to rig up some sort of capture/reuse system that catches the oil as it comes out where the seals should be and pumps it back into the filler.

Since you are pumping you can add filtration, and then it shouldn't cause bearing damage.

Well, you could try that on the wife's car first......:bitch::dunno:

• Haha 1

adsm08
23 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Well, you could try that on the wife's car first......:bitch::dunno:

I'd rather rig the prototype up on my truck. Of my 5 vehicles it leaks the most oil.

• Haha 2

squonk
3 hours ago, Toby Stockman said:

yep already removed and through away weeks ago going to Napa Monday to get new ones

#9815 for 1" axle and 11050 for 1 1/8" axle. Call ahead. They will most likely have to order them

• Like 1