Mickwhitt

What are you reading?

Mickwhitt

Hey guys,

I just started on a new book which has really grabbed my interest. 

I thought it would be good to ask what folks out there recommend as a good read or reference book.

20240805_173408.jpg.1aebc70da42057260aeed99cdf0ed206.jpg

Makes you marvel at the courage and pluck of all the men and women who came into the armed forces to defeat the axis powers. 

Mick 

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

peter lena

@Mickwhitt  interesting reading  , regularly get ww 2 , reading , like the constant insight into , generals  views / ratings , reading  , TO THE END OF THE EARTH , downfall of japan , john  c mcmanus , boy scouts , we were stationed at a VFW  hall in the bronx , ny city . your B 17 strike picture , memories , there was a  small guy , salvatore ghitchio , 27 missions , tail gunner  , B17 , DFC , SILVER STAR , PURPLE HARTS , air medal , etc ,  those guys were always there to help us out , pete

• Like 3

DET

The one on the left now, also about WW2, and the one on the right is next.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

8ntruck

I'm currently reading Thrust by Richard Noble.  It is the story of his quest to set the land speed record faster than mach 1.

• Like 1

PWL216

Recently finished ‘A Gentleman in Moscow’. Took me months to read it. I honestly didn’t care for the style of writing but the story was good.

adsm08

I am currently reading Traced by Neil Jeanson. Its a study of the genetic history on the human race. Not exactly the kind of thing most people can just sit down and read, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Mickwhitt

Just finished luck of the draw. 

Very humbling to read about the selfless way that young men placed themselves in harms way.

Despite being terrified of going into battle, they would never have backed away. Not for country, not to be brave, but to support and be there with their crewmates.  Even after capture and imprisonment they were there for each other.

Struck me that immediately after being shot down they were visited by the enemy fighter pilots involved. Not to brag or poke fun, but to acknowledge the skill and bravery of their opponents, chatting about the battle in detail. When the pilots found the prisoners had not been fed they ordered a truck to take them to their mess to share their meagre food.

That contrasts with the conduct of other German soldiers who flaunted the Geneva convention. Especially after the great escape when 50 officers were machine gunned out of hand as a warning against escape. But also because of the embarrassment caused by so many men being able to escape a camp designed to be hard to escape from. 

A really good book, well written and full of reference material.