Phildoe

Jacobsen turfster with Onan P series.

Phildoe

I recently picked up a 1980s-1990s Jacobsen turf truckster with a hydraulic dump bed and a 5 speed manual transmission, I do have fuel from the tank to vacuum pump up to the carb, have plenty of compression but no spark, the engine is a opposed twin Onan and it's a Performer series, I believe it's a 216, my question is does it have points or does it use a pulse pickup coil under the flywheel to activate and energize the primary coil? There is power to the primary coil. 

Messenger_creation_ad0fd99e-66db-4754-8def-acfe674ed1d1.png

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The Performer series were all solid state, you would see a points cover on top of the block and above the crankshaft on the side opposite the flywheel if it had points.  On a model with an ignition module there would be a pair of wires coming up behind the flywheel and go directly to the coil.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Phildoe

Thank you both, yes there are two wires coming up from the back of the flywheel area. Does the pulse or pickup coil energize the primary coil and are the magnetic pickup coils known to fail? I ask because to get to the flywheel requires removing the whole cage area where the riders sit and it looks to be a tough chore to get into it, the good thing is the hour meter shows 187 so if this is true it's well worth the work.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Phildoe said:

Thank you both, yes there are two wires coming up from the back of the flywheel area. Does the pulse or pickup coil energize the primary coil and are the magnetic pickup coils known to fail? I ask because to get to the flywheel requires removing the whole cage area where the riders sit and it looks to be a tough chore to get into it, the good thing is the hour meter shows 187 so if this is true it's well worth the work.

Download the file in post #3, there you will find the troubleshooting for the ignition.

The ignition module under the flywheel is simply a solid state version of points, they switch on and off as the magnet ring pass by.  The usual failure of the ignition is the module quits working when it is hot.  The magnet ring is rather reliable if it is the one molded in gray plastic.  Do the tests mentioned in the manual before tearing anything apart, perhaps it is the coil so do these tests as well.

Also this thread can be useful:

• Excellent 1