Darrell

Electrical system Workhorse 800 Special

Darrell

Hello and thanks for all that the Redsquare has to offer. I got myself in a predicament that I don't have the knowledge to get myself out of. I'm hoping someone can help.   I recently bought a Wheelhorse Workhorse 800 Special. Tractor is about worn out with no attachments but was only $100 and it ran. It has a Tecumseh 8 HP  with a Solid State ignition. It started the tractor and even charged the battery.  I cleaned it up, replaced all the gaskets on the motor, replaced the carb, muffler and a few things. I don't need the tractor but it was a good thing to tinker with in my spare time. So I bought an early 70s Kohler K341, checked it out, cleaned it up and swapped it out in place of the Tecumseh. The problem is, I don't know what ignition switch to use. The K341 has points, a coil, solenoid and so on like most of the old pre-70s equipment. The Tecumseh doesn't. I have the tractor and motor completely rewired with the exception of an ignition switch. I don;t want to burn up electrical parts trying to get it right.  . 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Darrell said:

K341 has points, a coil, solenoid

@953 nut has a good thread somewhere about general wiring. 

I believe you'll want to wire that similar to something like a 1968 Charger 12 with a points ignition. 

If you're using a K341 starter it should have a solenoid. 

With the solenoid you'll want a standard 5 pin/blade ignition switch. 

I do NOT recommend using a cheap/inexpensive switch. 

Wheelhorse Toro switch number is 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

Found the thread I was thinking of. 

• Like 2

Darrell

Thank you ebinmaine or all of the great information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Do you already have a solenoid? 

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

As @ebinmaine said the 103-990 ignition switch an a solenoid is the way to go. This wiring diagram will do the trick for you. Your ignition coil should have an internal resistor. The voltage regulator be sure to use one with a large heat-sink rather than the ones used on Magnum engines. Here is an example of the type rectifier/regulator you should use. https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical-AKH6001Rectifier-Regulator-Engines/dp/B019DHPM44/ref=asc_df_B019DHPM44/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=692875362841&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9372373433147764985&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010285&hvtargid=pla-2281435179258&psc=1&mcid=cdb6b34f729d3c11be13aedd2129e9ac&hvocijid=9372373433147764985-B019DHPM44-&hvexpln=73&gad_source=1

If you are uncertain about anything please ask, we are here to help.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Darrell

Yes I do have a solenoid, thamks. I'll get the better regulator and 5 pin ignition and should be ready to go.  Thanks for all the help and good info

• Like 3