Mike'sHorseBarn

Leaking Head Gasket.....I'm stumped

lynnmor
12 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Assuming the head is planed flat, doesn't take alot to shadetree plane a head uneven.  I wish i had access to a bridgeport, ive got 3 or 4 heads that need it but are holding for now.

I have a Bridgeport and believe me it ain't all that easy to find a way to clamp the head, with no distortion added, so that it is in the best possible position to make the cut.  Many automotive machine shops now use a special belt sander to flatten heads, our little heads would take 1/10 of the time it takes to make out the bill.

• Thanks 1

RED-Z06
35 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I have a Bridgeport and believe me it ain't all that easy to find a way to clamp the head, with no distortion added, so that it is in the best possible position to make the cut.  Many automotive machine shops now use a special belt sander to flatten heads, our little heads would take 1/10 of the time it takes to make out the bill.

Years ago my cousin had a 5hp briggs gokart, he pulled the cooling tins off because "it looked cooler".  Well it got so hot the cylinder and piston melted together.  I ended up with it, rebuilt it 0.020 over. the head was so warped that you could see daylight through it snugged down.  I had a thick sheet of glass and i planed and planed..it would always blow in a different spot.  I put a different head on and my problems went away.  Flat planing by hand is difficult because of uneven force.

• Like 1

TractorEd

I have turned the block upside down on a surface plate with wet sand paper and, in a figure 8, planed any distortion out.  Worked quite well actually.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John2189

Are you sure the head bolts isn’t bottomed out?

fourwheelhorseman

Unless I’m looking at it wrong…There is a huge gap, looks to me like a severely warped head. 

IMG_2462.jpeg

Mike'sHorseBarn
17 minutes ago, fourwheelhorseman said:

Unless I’m looking at it wrong…There is a huge gap, looks to me like a severely warped head. 

And it was, but it's been planed and all is good now!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06
2 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

How much had to come off

Handy Don
12 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

12 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

How much had to come off

Gotta pay attention to this because there isn’t a lot of clearance between an open valve and the head above it and touching is, well, bad.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I'm not sure how much they took off, he didn't say. I just know that when I bolted it on and fired it up, nothing bad happened. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2