JPWH

Horse hauler refurbish

ri702bill

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! I too looked at new trucks, but decided to pump about $1100 into my 99 Ranger. I would rather deal with upkeep & repairs that a truck payment.

Look at all the various recalls from both domestic & foreign truck manufacturers..... some quite serious.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

JPWH

I have had this 2000 Silverado since

October of 1999. I figure I can replace the engine, transmission, and rear end and a paint job for less than half the cost of a new one.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

mrc

i googled georgia sales tax rate and found out it is 4%.    sooo... lets say a new truck sets you back 50K.    tha'ts 2K just in tax to the state.  if financing, now you most likely have to have full coverage insurance.  more $$$!    up here in the communist  ( i mean commonwealth of massachusetts)  sarcasm intended, we have what is called excise tax.  this is a tax based on the value of a vehicle.   a new 50K truck would be about $1000 in first year excise tax.  after 5 years it would drop to about $125. a year, every year.  then how can you spend 50K and throw stuff in the bed that scratches it.  i think you were smart to rebuild you old truck.   your truck looks good!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
8 hours ago, mrc said:

a tax based on the value of a vehicle.

In neighboring RI, they are phasing out Property Tax on vehicles. The great unknown is how they intend to generate the lost revenue - maybe a "Nuissance Tax" imposed on JD owners???

A couple of other things - the security of NOT having a Fob to start, rather a key with a chip. And having a 5 or 6 speed standard deters and defeats most younger thieves!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JCM
45 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

The great unknown is how they intend to generate the lost revenue - maybe a "Nuissance Tax" imposed on JD owners

Easy their brother, Now does this tractor look like a nuisance ?     :ROTF:

20211005_150402.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

ri702bill
1 hour ago, JCM said:
2 hours ago, ri702bill said:

The great unknown is how they intend to generate the lost revenue - maybe a "Nuissance Tax" imposed on JD owners

Easy their brother, Now does this tractor look like a nuisance ? 

That's OK... you are in Maine!!!!

• Haha 2

peter lena

@JPWH  get any  lubricant INSIDE THOSE BODY PANELS ?  looks good , pete

• Like 1

JPWH
3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@JPWH  get any  lubricant INSIDE THOSE BODY PANELS ?  looks good , pete

Only what came from factory. I don't drive on salted roads. I will look underneath and see what may be needed.

• Like 1

squonk

You're better off with that old truck than a new one Jay as far as I can see. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

pfrederi

Glad  that that works for you down there...  Up here you cold have the body work done and in a couple years the salt /brine would create new issues.  I know that as a kid in upstate NY the only place that used serious salt was downtown Albany on State St Hill.  The state road in front of our house would have  long periods of being covered with packed snow/ice.  They dumped sand on it.  (there was a bit of salt in the sand to keep it from freezing in to a solid lump).  In the fall after snow tires were mounted drove over to the town garage and filled a few buckets and wash boiler with sand from the their pile.  It rode around in the trunk all winter for weight and be available for traction if needed. We didn't drive 65 mph but some how we got to where we needed to go and nobody had 4wd or awd either. If things got really bad there were chains.  Don't think my father ever missed work because of snow.  Took alot of snow for a snow day at school.  Mr. Mock ( my school bus driver for several years) knew how to put the chains on the bus.  ..

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Tractorhead

Your Truck looks good.👍

I'm of the opinion that you should keep it what's tried and tested as long as it makes sense.

I don‘t need each few years a new Ride, we bought one for the Mrs. But i prefer the „old Irons“.

They be mostly Servicable and with a little maintainance they can last very long.

I Allways hear - they be not very fuel economic... they be not CO2 friendly... and lots of more Nonsense.

They be allready built, so the main CO2 footprint is allready done - no further CO2 impacts for destroy and (re)manufacturing them new Parts they must be exchanged be mostly used available or sometimes for cheap because this modell is out of it’s Service life.

A good Bodyshop asking for a fair Price is if you compare that to a new ride it‘s sometimes worth it.

It depends on how the rest is in shape on the Car or Truck and how good it‘s maintained.

The newer a Car or Truck have more and more electronic gimmicks included, independently if you want them or not.

• Like 2

squonk

Biggest issue I see going forward is that the manufacturers are starting to cut back on spare parts or holding them so your vehicle of choice will become almost " unrepairable " Subaru is starting to do this. They have plenty of subframes in the warehouse but won't sell you one to replace your rotted out one. They want you to go buy a new car.  A lot of other sedans are starting to fall into this category. And a lot of aftermarket parts like sensors and other electronics are pure junk. Luckily trucks are popular enough that needed items will be available for a while longer. We hope:hide:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Tractorhead
42 minutes ago, squonk said:

" Subaru is starting to do this. They have plenty of subframes in the warehouse but won't sell you one to replace your rotted out one. They want you to go buy a new car.  

Sadly you be right with that, but other companies will follow soon.

🤪🤐

• Like 1

JPWH
18 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

It depends on how the rest is in shape on the Car or Truck and how good it‘s maintained.

I have owned this pickup since new and maintenance has been done as needed.

I have replaced the water pump, brake rotors and calipers as well as all brake pads.

Last year I had to replace the a/c compressor, condenser and dryer. 

I changed the intake gaskets and knock sensors while I was at it.

I am replacing the fuel pump assembly while the bed is off.

When the body shop finishes, the mechanic is going to check front end components for me. 

• Like 2

peter lena

@JPWH  living in conn, very rarely see a pick up or related suv , that is not loaded with rot out , fenders , cab , tailgate , most of them bone dry for any sigh of defence , every wheel well , door bottom , tail gate , paint swell , this also applies to relatively  newer cars / trucks . amazing to me , relatively easy , to get after it , go oily , pete 

• Like 1

JPWH

Almost ready to come home.

KIMG0115.JPG.d1f5381963a2b7e092b2e9c1d0841d03.JPG

KIMG0118.JPG.5c790237a2701602e6d05c3ef193d0aa.JPG

• Excellent 5

Sparky

Looks fantastic!! 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

JPWH

Finally home.

KIMG0134.JPG.4c05f7fcabf6c44884e47689b7d9ace3.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

Moparfanforever

It sure does look pretty!!

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

kpinnc
On 7/24/2024 at 8:37 PM, ri702bill said:

$1100

New trucks cost more than this per month in many cases. Makes me wonder why they don't just call them what they are: Mortgage payments... :wacko:

My wife's truck is paid for, and so is mine. Not gonna buy another unless one of ours can't be fixed...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Handy Don
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Not gonna buy another unless one of ours can't be fixed...

Went down this road last year and very reluctantly traded in a car that had served me magnificently for nearly 20 years but was facing a significant amount of repair on top of distinct signs of getting unacceptably unreliable. I realized I didn’t want to invest so much mindshare in a car so I accepted the family’s urging and replaced it.

I came to recognize that “can’t be fixed” is different than “fixing isn’t the best path forward”.

• Excellent 3