8ntruck

Allis Chalmers B-110

ebinmaine

I like the look of a stack but the practicality is that the fumes are right at face level unless it's tall. 

I've done 2 or 3 builds with a stack. Increased the height on Cinnamon Horse C160-8. It's good 99% of the time but VERY tall. 

The '75 C160 Automatic and the current project C160-8 Tecumseh Horse are low pointing mufflers.  

• Like 1

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

I carved out some time today to get the gas tank, new fuel line, and new battery installed in the B-110.  I poured about an inch of gas into the tank, opened the shutoff valve, set the choke and throttle, turned the key on, then hit the starter button.  It cranked over 6 or 8 times and fired up.  Not surprisingly, there was a cloud of smoke on start up, but it quickly cleared.

I drove it around the yard for a bit.  All the gears work,though it does not always go into gear easily.  It lets out a puff of smoke on throttle up, or when the governor tips in - got to think about what might be causing that for a bit.  It also backfires through the muffler when the throttle is closed.  I'm thinking that the carb isn't quite right.

Since it has a dozed blade mounted o  it, I pushed a little bit of dirt around.  No problems.

Things to do in no particular order-

New air filter

Look at the brake/clutch adjustment

Scratch up a battery hold down

Find a new gas cap/gage

Give it a bath

Paint wheels - think I'll go with a bright white

Set tire pressures

Check/change fluids

Take a closer look at the mid PTO - the shaft turns freely, but feels rough.

Clear a spot in a storage shed to get it inside.

Improve exhaust/muffler

I discovered one of this tractor's 'personality' traits today.  It seems to want to keep the tools I'm using to work on it.  It pulled my 1/2" combo wrench into the dash tower, and didn't let go of a 7/16 socket on the gas tank straps.  Still trying to decide on it's gender.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

Rearranged one of our storage sheds and made room for the B-110 this afternoon.  Had a small pile of topsoil that needed spreading along one edge of the new deck, so I spread it out with the B-110.  Worked out ok - sure miss the low range  that Morgan the 14-8 has, though.

The B-110 was blowing gray smoke when under load.  Valve guides and rings are now under suspicion.

Well, at least it is in out of the weather.

• Like 2

8ntruck

While talking with my neighbor yesterday afternoon, he made mention that the B-110 had been moved.  I told him that I had it running, had used it a little, and had found room in one of the other storage sheds for it. 

I also mentioned that it smokes under load.  His reply was that maybe an engine rebuild would be a good winter project.  I asked if there were any shops in the area that could bore the cylinder (worst case scenario).  "Oh", he says, "I've got boring bars, I could do that."

I suppose I should start researching suppliers for old B&S parts and come up with a service manual for that engine.  This is the same neighbor that is bringing an early '50s Massey Harris back to life.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

suppose I should start researching suppliers for old B&S parts and come up with a service manual for that engine.

What year?

There're manuals on ebay. 

@Docwheelhorse is a Briggs guy. He may have helpful info too.  

• Like 1