8ntruck

Allis Chalmers B-110

8ntruck

The older couple who lived across the street passed away about 18 months ago.  The estate has finally gotten through probate and one of the sons is acting as exectuator.  He has been in ant out of the house several times recently.  During one of those visits, I asked about the Allis Chalmers garden tractor, offering to buy it if he had no other plans for it.

While I was at our Missouri location over the weekend, another neighbor and my wife closed the deal.  There was a yellow and white tractor parked in front of the tractor shed when I got home last night.

It looks like the tractor is pretty original.  On a quick inspection, the paint, engine, and tires all seem to be original.  It has what looks like a home brew snow blade.  It used to have a snow blower, but that seems to have disappeared.  The muffler is a replacement and the seat looks to have been re upholstered -  older decent job, as the PO used to do upholstery work.

The last time I saw this tractor running was 4 or 5 years ago, when the PO used it to rescue his big box rider when it got stuck mowing too close to the lake.

Between a doctor's appointment and rain today, I didn't have time to take pictures or do a detailed inspection.

More info and pictures as I get them.  Might be a few days, though.  We've got a busy week wtih some guests coming to stay at the lake house, plans to attend our 50th high school reunion, and a railing to install on the new deck. 

• Like 8

Achto

Looking forward to pictures. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
7 hours ago, Achto said:

Same here! I have a B1 Allis and it's a nice little machine.

• Excellent 1

squonk

I dragged this B12 home a few month's back and sold it to a local AC hoarder. Engine was tight and had a massive snowblade  on it. Thing was heavy! Found out the tires were loaded and there were 2 100 lb wheel weights on the back that I sold to @Pullstart

IMG_20240406_160408184_HDR.jpg.31bda96722b12da4103edef7928a5915.jpg

• Like 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, squonk said:

a local AC hoarder

Might want to think twice or thrice before applying the “H” label. :D

• Haha 2

squonk
15 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Might want to think twice or thrice before applying the “H” label. :D

Dude has 2 giant barns and 3 school buses packed full of AC equipment.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Dude has 2 giant barns and 3 school buses packed full of AC equipment.

Label duly earned, for sure!

• Like 3

T-Mo

https://simpletractors.com/

This is where you will find information on the older AC L&G stuff.  They were made by Simplicity.

T-Mo

8ntruck

Got a little time today to poke around on the B-110 and get some pictures:

20240725_180644.jpg.4035c800c04075b012bd708f6637c6c5.jpg

20240725_180623.jpg.d09caf5b5b7c82104b6836def6c6da9a.jpg

20240725_180635.jpg.e428a594cbb8d2aa27dee8094b0c407a.jpg

20240725_180612.jpg.22b53683f92194bd1fd8310e87afe288.jpg

20240725_175750.jpg.3646abc5232c6853513078588a348066.jpg

20240725_175734.jpg.e805ddf753e246165c046db344f3cd0a.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the hood shows some signs of being repainted.  I pulled the spark plug just to see what it looks like - heavily carboned.  First thing I noticed when I looked at the spark plug hole in the head was that it looks like it has been repaired.  Does that look like a hellicoil to anybody else?:

20240725_175704.jpg.b0df3bb8fc2e04011a3ee629d0430e78.jpg

Also an interesting repair to the steering column somewhere along the way:

20240725_175726.jpg.0601c887deb302ed58dfb123a5a9d2ed.jpg

I just noticed that empty hole in the dash.  Wonder what the story is about that?

Anyhow, it goes into all of the gears, the brakes seem to work, the steering does not have excessive play, and the lift lever is suprizingly easy to lift that beefy dozer blade with, and the PTO clutch lever moves as it should.  The hood bolts on, while the 'power bulge' on top of the hood hinges to the right for access to the gas tank and battery.  Oh, yah - the battery is dead, really dead.  I don't think I'm even going to try to revive it.

The engine turns over by hand with the starter generator belt.  A little too easily, I think.  Anybody know if these old 10hp B&S engines had compression release?  While I had the spark plug out, I put my thumb on the spark plug hole and turned the engine over by hand - didn't feel any indication of compression.  The oil is full and relatively clean.  I'll get the jumper cables out in the near future to jump the starter and give it a chuff of carb cleaner to see if it has fire.  Also a good subject to try out my new compression gage on.

Not sure what I want to do with this tractor.  I like the 'survivor' vibe that it has, so a full restoration is not in its future.  Since it does not have a mower deck, I am thinking this would be a good one to add weight and fill the tires and use for ground engaging duties.  Any other suggestions out there?

It is not as dirty as I expected.  Still, I'll get the pressure washer out and give it a washing.

I downloaded an Allis Chalmers B series garden tractor service manual pdf file last night.  While looking through it, I stumbled across instructions on how to adjust the limited slip dif.  Apparently the right rear hub has a nylon bushing between the hub and axle with another piece of nylon loaded radially with a bolt to provide friction to drive the wheel.  Too much preload on the bolt results in a locked axle, not enough preload results in no power to the right rear wheel. 

• Like 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I stumbled across instructions on how to adjust the limited slip dif.  Apparently the right rear hub has a nylon bushing between the hub and axle with another piece of nylon loaded radially with a bolt to provide friction to drive the wheel.  Too much preload on the bolt results in a locked axle, not enough preload results in no power to the right rear wheel

If you have pictures to share of that it might be neat. That sounds like an interesting setup.

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat: I'll find the page in the manual again and snap pictures of the hub - when I get a chance.  May be Sunday or Monday before I get a chance.

• Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn
10 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

The engine turns over by hand with the starter generator belt.  A little too easily, I think.  Anybody know if these old 10hp B&S engines had compression release?  While I had the spark plug out, I put my thumb on the spark plug hole and turned the engine over by hand - didn't feel any indication of compression. 

Those old briggs and stratton's are great at getting stuck exhaust valves after sitting for a while. That would be the very first thing I check in a no compression situation. 

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:pull the valve cover and shoot some Marvel Mystery Oil on the valve guides and let them soak a bit?

A struck valve did come to mind as a possible cause.

• Like 2

8ntruck

Stole a few minutes today and jumped the starter on the B-110.  Cranks easily, but no fire (with a shot of carb cleaner) in either key switch position.  It started to rain, so I gave up for the night.  

Next session, I'll hook up the compression gage, then throw a new spark plug in, and disconnect the key switch.

Today, I did jump 12 volts to the field connection on the S/G.  I'm hoping that I did not create more work for myself in the voltage regulator by doing that.

• Like 1

Handy Don
14 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I'm hoping that I did not create more work for myself in the voltage regulator by doing that.

Probably not.

If the regulator is otherwise good, the regulator relay would have chopped up any high incoming voltage from the jump down to 14.5-ish. The shunt windings might (or might not) have pulled the cutoff relay to switch to thinking there was power at the A terminal to charge the battery but no harm there except having some of you jump juice going into the tractor battery!

• Like 2

8ntruck

Tinkered with the B-110 this afternoon a bit.  Checked the compression, was OK, but not excellent, put a new spark plug in, no spark in either key position. 

Pulled the points cover.  Gap looked OK, but pulling the corner of a $5 bill through them severely defaced that particular piece of government property.  A shot of contact cleaner and an other pass with the $5 bill had them looking a whole lot better.  Cranked it over again, no spark.  Cranked it over with the key in the other position, fired once, weakly.  Put another shot of carb cleaner in the carb, and it (haven't determined the gender of this tractor, yet) fired up and ran for about 5 seconds.  Sounded good, and I didn't hear any scary mechanical noises. :D

Next steps - new battery, fuel line, and filter from NAPA, carb kit from the local B&S dealer, disassemble to get the gas tank out for cleaning.  Probably optomistic, but I might have it running and driving by next weekend - not sure what kind of spare time I'll have.

Need to decide what to do with the front diamond tread tires.  They are in pretty good condition for being around 50 years old.  Use them, or pass them on to somebody doing a restoration?

• Like 3

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Need to decide what to do with the front diamond tread tires.  They are in pretty good condition for being around 50 years old.  Use them, or pass them on to somebody doing a restoration?

Tube em and run em

• Like 3

8ntruck

I'm trying to spend a short time every day doing something to the B-110.  Yesterday, I took the side panels off of the engine bay and removed the old battery and the fuel tank.  

Cleansed up the fuel tank a bit yesterday.  Part of that was removing the shut off valve.  Suprizingly, the intake screen on it was clean.  The inside of the tank is clean, as well.  So clean, I'm going assume that the carb is also reasonably clean, and reassemble with a new fuel line, throw a bit of gas in it and see if it will run.

Bought a new battery for it today -- man, battery prices (NAPA) sure have gone up!   Also wire brushed, primed, and painted one side of the fuel tank to address some surface rust.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

I'm going assume that the carb is also reasonably clean

Is it in a position that you can drop the bowl without removing the carb?

Whatever's in the bottom of the bowl would be a good overall indicator. 

Have a carb kit handy. The gasket (and baffle?) are likely pretty crispy. 

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

If that's a similar carb to my 1978 8 HP Briggs the main needle will need to be removed before separating the two halves. 

• Like 1

8ntruck
Posted (edited)

:text-yeahthat:  Both of the previous posts.  I'm going to be optomistic (lazy) and ttry a bit of gas to get it running, but have a carb kit on hand.  

The initial research I've done on this carb indicate that the needle/jet assembly will need to come out before the carb halves can be separated.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 2

8ntruck

One more opinion to ask of you folks - that ugly muffler has to go!

Replace it with stock or stack?