cod

NATO jerry cans

cod

Any chance that some of you are using the NATO style 20L(5gal) gas cans?  I've got 3 that I've picked up over the years and while I like the way they look and seal, getting a spout to work with them hasn't been easy. One works great, while the other two leak.

Any suggestions would be great. I tried new rubber gaskets but perhaps there's something I overlooked.

Thanks!

Racinbob

I may have you covered here. Are the two that leak newer models?

I've tried about every type of gas can on the market today. They all are 100% junk. Finding older, pre 'safety'  cans is nearly impossible. I bought a Jerry can about a year ago. I was pi@$# when it leaked gas all over my shoe. Here is the culprit. 

20240721_170637.jpg.fa97d677162d346d6e21ba2497850381.jpg

That triangular shaped hole is an engineers way of turning a great can to 100% junk. It the 'safety' vent. It leaks. But it's an easy fix. I cut and rounded a small piece of metal and affixed it with JBWeld. Another coat of JB and that's done. You MUST put one of those little flip up vents on the top of the can. Bingo! A good old fashioned Jerry can.

Some of the newer cans can be improved by installing a flip vent and I've done that to five cans. But the nozzles suck. It almost makes it a 2 person job to fill a tank without spillage. I use those cans (just filled 4 with booze free) but only to transfer the gas to the Jerry can under ideal conditions. Only then does the tractors get filled. The Jerry can nozzle flexes where I want it and actually stays there. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

C-85

As an Army veteran who has used several Jerry cans, I've never seen one that didn't leak around the spout!  We used these for vehicle fuel and also to feed our tent heaters and they all leaked! :angry-tappingfoot:

C-85

WHX??

Just had to :text-google: it...history buff here...

The term "jerry can" originated during World War II as Western desert army slang for German liquid containers. The British used the term "jerry" as slang for Germans and captured the cans from them, calling them "jerrycans". The British preferred the jerry cans over their own containers because of their ribbed design, which made them less likely to leak in harsh conditions. The cans were also lined with an impermeable plastic that allowed them to be used for either water or petrol. 

Wikipedia

Jerrycan - Wikipedia
The interior was also lined with an impervious plastic, first developed for steel beer bar...

Direct Water Tanks

The History Of Jerry Cans - Their Crucial Role in World War II
Jan 12, 2023 — It was called “jerry” from the American US Forces slang term “Jerry” for Germa...

The Guardian

What is the origin of the name "jerry"? As in: jerry can. | guardian.co.uk
Second World War. Western desert army slang for German liquid containers; hence 'jerry can...

Other theories about the origin of the term include:
  • Jerry-built
    The term may come from the British mocking German contraptions that were hastily assembled, or "jerry-built".
  • Chamber pot or jeroboam
    The term may come from the German military helmet, which some say resembles a chamber pot ("jerry") or a jeroboam (a large wine bottle).
  • Shortening of German
    The term may be a shortening of the German word for the container, the Wehrmachtskanister. 

Generative AI is experimental.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

cod

Thanks for the responses and while I meant to reply before, I've been distracted.

Here are the three amigos. The one on the left works best with the spouts in the other photos. For the other two cans, I get a large funnel and empty them into the 418. It works so I'll stick with it, although I continue to haunt yard sales and flea markets. I'll also check to see if the leak is from the vent and look into Racinbob's suggestion.

20240728_074922.jpg

20240728_075003.jpg

20240728_075011.jpg

20240728_075021.jpg